Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Weekend Eats

It's always fun to spend time with good friends especially when it's been a while since you've seen them. We first ventured down for lunch at Alhambra, Ca. There were four of us. Chatting it up. For those who know me, know I'm not picky about foods. So my friend chose a Vietnamese place. She was craving some pho and so was I.

Pho Super Bowl 

Located in a tiny stripmall, the place isn't large. A moderate size and not too crowded.  We situate ourselves at the table and look over the menu.

To start I order myself a nice refreshing Thai tea with boba. 
There were a few undercooked boba, but that didn't matter to me. It was still refreshing.

The server brings out the bean sprouts and greens for our soups. 
I tend to much on it while waiting. I like to eat them fresh sometimes.

One of my friends orders a couple shrimp spring rolls. Served with a side of sauce.

Our other friend orders the traditional spring rolls.


For the main dish, I order the seafood pho. Fish balls, squid, shrimp, with some onions and rice noodles in a large bowl of broth. I add a handful of those bean sprouts and several squishes of sriracha and we've got ourselves deliciousness in a BIG bowl. 

I didn't mind choosing soup as it was a really lovely day in LA, which took me by surprise from the heatwave we recently had. 

To cap off the meal, a lovely little bowl of this. 
It tastes very much like a rice pudding with baby tapioca balls. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. But I do know that we have something similar in the Philippines.

Later that day, after venturing into Pasadena for a few hours, we head back into Alhambra. Remember last week when I mentioned I had a slushy craving? This is where i fulfilled that craving.
 Tea Station

This place is like of like a small trendy little place for the youngsters. It's a place where you have to order something. You just can't sit there, chat it up or do you reading, you have to order something. 
They serve traditional hot teas, but also an array or selections to choose from as well as various tea snacks and meals. Here's what we chose.


One of my friends orders the fried spicy chicken. Though this one didn't taste really spicy. I guess you have to request it as my friend suggests.


Another friend orders the fried buns. Served with a side of condensed milk to dip. The cool this about this is that it's the way they made it. They put strips of bread together for the center and wrap it up like a pillow with large thin pieces then fry it up. So when you tear into it, you tear it up like french fries. and dip it into the condensed milk.

My friend also orders a Mango shaved ice. That thing was large. Yum!

I order the takoyaki balls, which is a battered balls with octopus. Topped with a mix of things like some mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, seaweed.

I accidentally burnt the roof of my mouth. I have the habit of doing that. I get too excited sometimes to eat something that's freshly cooked and still steaming hot. 


To wash it all down I also order a green mango snow ice with boba. My slushy craving has been accomplished!!!! I love the way they serve it. In a little decantor...you know in case you want to share with some people. Mmmm... I love the flavor of this one. Then again...I love mangos of all kinds.

Finally later into the evening, we decide to head out for a little "snack" and decide to go Islands. I was tempted to get some of their awesome cheese fries, but I stuck with the tortilla soup. I was pretty stuffed from earlier in the day and I felt it fitting to order some delicious hearty soup.

This has some shredded chicken and fresh vegetables,
topped with jack cheese, avocado & tortilla strips.

 I ate that one right up!

Overall, it was a good day with good food which made an afternoon with friends all the better.


Pho Super Bowl
1300 E. Main Street
Alhambra, CA 91801
626.293.7018


Tea Station -- Alhambra
560 W. Main St.
Alhambra, CA 91801
626.289.7389

Islands -- Glendale
117 West Broadway
Glendale, CA 91204
(818) 545-3555

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great eats! Right now I would love that mountain of mango ice!

lisaiscooking said...

You've just caused a serious pho craving! Your seafood pho looks great!

ValleyWriter said...

Everything looks fabulous - especially the slushies. You may have satisfied your carving - but you just passed it on to the rest of us now! ;-)

Unknown said...

(Err - carving = craving above. D'oh!)

Unknown said...

That looks like a really fun take on afternoon tea :)
*kisses* HH

Muneeba said...

Adore the drinks AND the octopus balls! Searing hot and super delicious!

Reeni said...

What yummy looking eats Jenn! Love those boba drinks...they're hard to find here.

Ameena said...

I have never had Pho before! I have been to Alhambra though and I am going to check this place out the next time I head over there.

Oh slushies...how I miss them!

Thistlemoon said...

Those are some great looking meals! Love the boba! Are those tapioca?

OysterCulture said...

Does it get better than good friends and good food.

www.segovia-3d.com said...

Thanks for the post, pretty worthwhile info.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger