Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Parmesan Mozzarella Popovers


I was watching the show The Best Thing I Ever Ate last week and in one of the episodes one of the chosen eats was popovers. I made them once before last year. I figured it's time to make them again. Yesterday, I had tweeted that I had some baking in the oven while I did some work. Gotta love multi-tasking, right? They are really simple to and it takes only a few ingredients. Now I don't have one of those popover pans. It would be cool to have one, though not really necessary. So I went for the next best thing. A 12-cup muffin pan. Still works out great.  I've been having issues with the conventional oven in my place lately and I don't have have of those 6-cup muffin pans to fit into my little toaster oven.

So after spending a good hour just to trying to start up my old clunker, I set about making the batter. I modified my previous recipe a bit and I find this version to be way better. And they even popped over a bit more, too. They are delicious by themselves, with butter, jam, or for any kind of dip really. I really need to make these more often.


Makes 12-14 muffin popovers

 

Parmesan Mozzarella Popovers

1 Tbsp unsalted butter - melted and cooled
 2 c all purpose flour
1/3 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c whole milk (room temperature)
1/3 c shredded parmesan
1/3 c shredded mozzarella

Preheat your oven to 400˚F.

Combine both cheeses in a small bowl and set aside.

In another small bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk in the milk to combine. Set aside. In another bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Slowly pour the milk mixture and whisk together until smooth.Then add the butter.

Grease a muffin pan with the a little bit of butter (or cooking spray) including the top surface.

Pour a scoop of batter into the muffin molds 1/3 full. Then top each with a good teaspoon of the cheese mix. Bake in the middle rack for 40-50 minutes. Halfway though give the pan a turn. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce the top with a knife to let out any steam.

Serve warm.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. Just want to know when you add the cheese mixture?

Unknown said...

They look very yummy! I didn't know you could use a muffin pan - great tip!

teresa said...

so yummy! i love popovers!

BuyWoWAccount said...

Mmmm, it's making me crave for a good cheese bread right now.

Buy WoW Account

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

These look great! I love popovers!

Hitchcock Butterfield Mirrors said...

They looks delicious. So easy to make. Kids would really love it.

Martha said...

It can't work in reality, that's exactly what I think.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger