Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cheese Popovers



I remember seeing popovers from an episode of Good Eats a few years ago. I've been wanting to try and make it from. The little printout paper cutout cards squished into a small 3x5 index card box along with a catalogue of other recipes waiting to be tried. Finally the other for some unimaginative reason these little baked goodies pop into my mind. I wasn't in the mood to bake some bread. I wanted something relatively easy. Then in came Alton Brown to the rescue. (In my mind that is) I adapted these little beauties and added some good ol' cheddar into the batter. Who doesn't love cheese in baked goods? Now I don't have a popover pan, I would like one, but I don't think it's necessary. So I used a regular sized muffin pan. I have one that bakes a dozen muffins at a time. The batter is relatively easy to mix together.  I had to adjust the timing as muffin sizes are smaller that the regular popover size. But it's deliciously addicting.

Makes 12 muffin popovers




Cheese Popovers
adapted from good eats

1 Tbsp unsalted butter - melted and cooled
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c whole milk
1/2 c shredded or chopped cheddar

Preheat your oven to 400˚F.

Grease a muffin pan with the a little bit of butter.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour a scoop of batter into the mold 1/2 full. Bake in the middle rack for 15-20 minutes. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce the top with a knife to let out any steam.

Serve warm.


19 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The popovers look & sound delicious! Something fun and a bit different to bake!

Tangled Noodle said...

Nice! I'd have a couple of these with a big bowl of soup (creamy tomato & basil!). Hungry for lunch now . . .

Unknown said...

I love popovers - and the addition of cheese sends it over the top! Yum!

Anonymous said...

These are just right. Pop them in your mouth and be happy.

Unknown said...

This is exactly the kind of thing that I adore: carbs and cheese. Good work!

Bob said...

Looks awesome, I haven't had popovers since I was a kid.

Dewi said...

This is my favorite breakfast on for the week end. Look really delicious Jenn!

Patty said...

Yum! They look so easy too! I've starred this one in Google Reader to make later this week!

OysterCulture said...

Yum, love popovers and then to have the added bonus of cheese, wow!

teresa said...

these look so tender and full of cheesy goodness. i must try these!

Catherine said...

These popovers sound really yummy Jenn!

Pam said...

I've never made popovers before - they look so delicious.

Anonymous said...

They look yummy! Can't go wrong with cheese.

Kristen said...

They look yummy - what a great idea with the cheese - I don't have a popover pan either, muffin pans work just fine

sophia said...

I LOVE popovers. And not just because they have such a fun concept and name. These, with cheese, just blows over the top!

Anonymous said...

Yum! These sound like such perfect treats!

btw, I'm having some problems with my feeds only in certain readers, I think, I'm trying to figure it out - are you seeing my feeds this week at all? thanks!

Parita said...

Cheese popovers look delicious, would love to add some jalapenos to give a kick!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your popovers look great! I'm a huge fan of Good Eats... I often end up going back to Alton's recipes.

Reeni said...

These sound so good with cheddar in them! YUM! I use my muffin pan to make them too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger