Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Egg and Tomato with Ravioli


As I write up my Philippine foodventure posts, thought I'd try to get back into the swing of things with this little dish. My posts at the moment may seem a little sporadic rather than the daily variety, but once things have settled down everything will be a-ok. That's the thing for going on vacations, right?

I had this the day before I left for my trip. I had a couple eggs left at the time. I didn't want to leave it in the fridge and let it expire while I was away. That would have been a waste of some good eggs. So I somewhat turned it into a sauce of sorts. I cooked up some canned diced tomatoes first. Letting the juices come out and simmer, before adding the beaten egg. I actually had this Idea to try and make some egg drop tomato soup but ended up with scrambled eggs with tomato. Hahaha... I guess the juices of the tomato dried up a little. Maybe I'll add some stock next time. I guess this was a sort of failed attempt at that.

I did manage to salvage it with some ravioli. Thank goodness for pasta right. I bought another package of the bertolli ravioli. But you can use any variety of ravioli you'd like. I really like it quite a lot. A little filling, but really good. I also add some dry herbs into the mix. It was a little reminiscent of that pasta scramble I had a while back. Not bad, eh?

serves 2



Egg and Tomato with Ravioli

1 pk Ravioli
1 12oz can diced tomato - minus juices
3 eggs - beaten
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
2 large cloves of garlic  - fine chopped
olive oil

Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a skillet, coating the bottom of the pan. Combine the dry herbs with the beaten egg. One the oil is hot enough, saute the garlic for 30 seconds and add the egg. Stir occasionally to keep the egg from sticking to the pan. When the egg is nearly cooked, add the diced tomato and stir to combine. Cook for another few minutes.

Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Season some salt and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. When the water is boiling, cook the ravioli till al dente. Roughly 4-6 minutes.

Place some the ravioli on a plate or bowl and scoop some of the egg mixture on top. Serve warm.

31 comments:

Koek! said...

Big, big yum. Wow. Yum.

Unknown said...

Ah, I've missed you :), so happy to see more of your yummy creations.
*kisses* HH

Unknown said...

Welcome back!! The ravioli looks and sounds great!

tinyskillet said...

Yummy! I love these kind of meals! Nice creation!

Anonymous said...

Yummy ravioli!

Phyllis said...

No worries, Jenn. My posts are always pretty sporadic, vacation or not, LOL! This simple pasta dish looks scrumptious. I wish I had a package of ravioli lying around :)

Donna-FFW said...

Funny how life always gets in the way of blogging, not fair..

Dish sounds uniquely terrific!

Ameena said...

Welcome back Jenn! I've been reading your posts while you were gone, even though you nearly lost me with the pic of the roasted pig!

Coming home is a real let down isn't it? I can relate...I'm still down and I've been back for a couple of months now!

vanillasugarblog said...

take your time, we'll all be here when you ready to post.
did you deep fry those ravioli? or am i just wishing?

Diana said...

I can't wait to read all about your trip and your fabulous eats! :) Welcome home - we missed you!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

Welcome back! What a great use for eggs! Not only would those eggs have gone to waste but it woulda been a smelly mess too! I'll have to keep this easy recipe for future meals.

Pam said...

I am glad to see you back Jenn. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

The ravioli looks so good...nicely done.

Reeni said...

Welcome back Jenn! Your ravioli look delicious and the eggdrop tomato soup sounded like a good idea to me too! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! Glad to see you're back safe and sound... And with a fabulous recipe, too!

sophia said...

I've missed you, Jenn!
and gosh, that ravioli does look amazing, I never thought to eat it with an egg scramble!

chow and chatter said...

its hard getting back in the swing of things this looks tasty i need to try it
go feed some ducks he he

Sippity Sup said...

I simple pasta to get things back to normal! GREG

Magic of Spice said...

Very interesting dish...looks wonderful!!

lisaiscooking said...

You're so organized to use all of your groceries before leaving. I usually forget something in the refrigerator that I regret when I get home! Welcome back!

MrsLavendula said...

while all my childhood friend loved spaghetti, ravioli was my favorite pasta dish as a child! nice dish!

Catherine said...

Oh wow Jenn, my mouth is watering! This looks incredible! I'm going to have to try this soon!

theUngourmet said...

Welcome home, Jenn! You always manage to whip up the delicious creations! ;)

OysterCulture said...

Another great idea, and its been so fun reading about your adventures in the Philippines. I for one am happy with getting your posts however they come as I know life has a sneaky way of getting in between.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love egg and tomato...

Bob said...

Looks great! I've always liked egg and tomato, I love the idea of tomato drop soup. You need to try again and post about it!

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

Oh wow, this looks sooo good!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenn!
Greetings!
Great idea!
Eggs go so well with tomatoes!
Great pic!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

kamran siddiqi said...

I absolutely love the simplicity of the recipe, and I can only imagine (until I try it for myself) how amazing it must really taste! We've missed you! :)

Anonymous said...

I love how simple and wonderful these look!

Muneeba said...

A super simple dish with a big flavor payoff - I likey!
Can't wait to hear more about your overseas adventures ... the pictures still haunt me!

best shop for your said...

For my part one and all must browse on this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger