Search Bread + Butter

Monday, June 28, 2010

Philippine Foodventure pt. 6 - Nagcarlan Pt. 3

There were a couple days when we stayed at the house and had meals there. Dishes cooked by my aunt. She even cooked a dish with one of my favorite veggies. The eggplant.

Sinigang and Crispy Pata

Crispy Pata with fried Tilapia

I ate several whole tilapia of these during my trip.  These were still literally wriggling 1/2 hour before being cooked. It's that fresh.

Deep Fried Lechon

Eggplant Bistek (My Fav of all the dishes!!)

The eggplant is marinated like its beef counterpart and sauteed.

Chicken Sopas 
Think chicken noodle soup

Ampalaya
made with bittermelon, eggs, onions

Cream of mushroom soup

Sinigang na buto buto (Sour soup with pork bones)

We did a little grilling, too.

Grilled spare ribs

Grilled Blue Marlin

We even helped celebrate one of the Grandma's 92nd birthday. 

Tagalog Menudo (Filipino version of menudo) Kilawin (you can compare it to ceviche) ANe lumpiang shanghai

Kilawin is simiar to a type of ceviche. Marinated in vinegar or calaminsi juice with onions, garlic, tomato, ginger, and peppers.

Pancit canton sotanghon (a mix of the fat noodles with thing rice noodles)
There was also fried chicken and fried tilapia.

Snacking on some homemade banana sweet banana chips

 
Inipit from Eurobake. Someone had dropped off a box of these. It's sponge cake with a dulce de leche filling. It's sweet, but not too sweet.

 One of the special treats I was able to have was some fresh buko straight from the tree while visiting my uncle property in another part of the province.

It doesn't get any fresher than that.

It takes a little skill to crack one those open

I wish I had a straw, so that I don't look like I drooled on myself.

Meat inside.

The improvised spoon you eat the buko meat with. Made from the buko shell

All gone. -- Yes. I ate one whole my myself.

Must not forget to mention that my breakfasts during those days consisted of freshly backed pandesal from a little bakeshop down the street with some butter, spam, strawberry jam, or by itself.
Filipino Breakfast of Champions!!!

Must not forget to mention the large amounts of cocacola I consumed while I was there. I guess the same would go for Coke Lite (Diet coke), Coke Zero, Pepsi Mex, and ice tea.

One of the restaurants we ate at in Nagcarlan was near the Municiple Hall called Ralphjoy's. This was where we'd have our final family dinner as well before heading into Manila.


It's a nice place not far from the house.

Sinigang with Salmon Belly

Spareribs -- off the bone tender!!!

Fish fillet with sweet and spicy sauce

Pancit

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Sisig

Come back tomorrow for Part 6.

10 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

Mercy! I am getting so hungry for Filipino food! All of the above, please, especially the Inipit. I'm too much of a sweet tooth to pass up on dulce de leche-filled sponge cake.

Dewi said...

Couldn't be better the food that you miss so much Jenn! They all make my mouth water.

OysterCulture said...

Jenn - You're killing me softly with these incredible photos and descriptions of food. But keep them coming, they're amazing.

Unknown said...

Wow, there is just so much good stuff here. What an amazing adventure you've had.
*kisses* HH
p.s. I go through tons of coca-cola too :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I was drooling over all the fried food. There is no denying I love that :)

tinyskillet said...

OK I'm stuffed now just looking at all that great food. How nice to save the memories in food photos!

pigpigscorner said...

Just had dinner and I'm so hungry again!

Phyllis said...

Hey Jenn, finally catching up on your foodadventures! Loving all the yummy eats, especially the halo halo and the chicharonnes. And I really want to try some of that dirty cheese ice cream! And regarding the kikiam chicken snacks, I think you can find bean curd skin at any Asian supermarket, I bought some a few years ago from my local market.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

So much food and celebration, so glad you had a great time.

Reeni said...

Everything looks so delicious Jenn! Your Aunt is a good cook!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger