Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mitsuru Cafe


I spent the day on Saturday with a couple friend doing research at the Japanese American Museum near Little Tokyo in Downtown Los Angeles. After spending a couple hours looking at the different exhibits and taking copious notes, we were starving by the time we excited the place. We ate a local sushi joint. I completely forgot to take pics of the meal. Hmph!! Goes to show how hungry we were. Ha! But I made sure I had captured dessert. We ventured down to a little cafe called Mitsuru Cafe.

The best way I can describe this place is street food without the street. It's not too big and you order right near the door.

IMAGAWAYAKI!!!!

They're a cross between a stuffed pancake and a waffle with a filling of sweet azuki bean paste (red bean paste).  These are usually sold at carnivals and festivals in Japan. Made in a special pan.

Can you seen them making it? Fresh and delicious. Don't mind my reflection on the window.

 They are always warm and fresh. That first bite is the best. 
Look at the delicious red bean wanting to gush out of it.

You wouldn't really notice this place walking through the village plaza mall. But it's there. You'd see a bunch of people outside eating these little guys up. They also have takoyaki, shrimp balls and squid cakes. But I love the imigawayaki the best.


Mitsuru Cafe -- Little Tokyo
117 Japanese Village Plz Mall 
Los Angeles, CA 90012-3908  
(213) 613-1028

9 comments:

Unknown said...

THat looks wonderful :), I'd love to try it.

Dewi said...

Sounds like a wonderful cafe worth visiting.

Phyllis said...

I love these red bean waffle! I think they're called obanyaki or taiyaki at my local Mitsuwa. Now you've got me craving one!

Reeni said...

These look crave-worthy!

Unknown said...

Looks so good!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look great! I would love to try one.

OysterCulture said...

Streetfood without the street sounds about perfect.

www.salamanca-3d.com said...

This can't really have effect, I think like this.

muebles baratos madrid said...

This will not have effect as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger