Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Egg White Omelette



When I made my German Chocolate Mini Cakes a few days ago, I was left with a couple of egg whites that were not needed for the recipe. I didn't want to throw them away as they were still good. I put them in the fridge until I could figure out what I could make with them.

Fast forward a few days later, I'm trying to decide what to cook for dinner. I remember the egg whites in the fridge. Take out the remaining green onions, some grape tomatoes from the vegetable compartment and some shredded parmesan cheese. A simple fast delicious and healthy dinner in just minutes. I love it when the edge forms a tiny crisp crust. Yum! This is perfect for those of you who are watching your carb intake, too.

I had this with a couple warm wheat mini pan de sal.



Egg White Omelette
2 Egg White
2 green onions (chopped, including stems)
1/2 c grape tomatoes (halved)
1/3 c shredded parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Salt

Season the egg white with a pinch of salt.

Coat the bottom of a pan with oil and heat on a medium to low flame.

Pour in the egg white. Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese, then the green onions. Place the tomatoes around, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese.

Let it cook for 3-5 min. When you see it begin to puff up and the cheese melting then it's ready. Remove from heat.

Serve with some bread or whatever you feel like serving it with.

32 comments:

Parita said...

I love crispy omlettes too, this looks sinful! gorgeous click!

Christo Gonzales said...

this is so healthy I can eat some cake and drink extra beers just from looking at it....

theUngourmet said...

I hate wasting egg parts too!

This looks great! I love to eat my eggs with these ingredients. Yum!

Cori said...

I love that you saved the whites and used them up later. That would be awesome with a nice glass of Sav Blanc!

Anonymous said...

Egg white is the only kind of omelette we eat these days. Looks excellent!

The Duo Dishes said...

'Tis breakfast time and hunger ensues!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I generally add some zucchini too-tastes great!! Love the addition of grape tomatoes-looks so cute :)

Pooja said...

Aww looks delicious! Never made an omelette with egg whites. Would try next time!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

This omelette looks wonderful! We seem to think alike a lot - I was planning on making eggs for dinner tonight.

Jenn said...

Parita: Thanks.

doggy: You sure can!

ungourmet: I think it gives it mre flavor.

Cori: a glass of sav blanc would go well with this.

5 Star: Thanks.

Duo Dishes: Perfect timing.

Sweta: Zucchini sounds great right about now.

Pooja: Give it a try. It's still egg, just minus the yolk.

Jen: hahaha...and the same name too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks terrific for breakfast or whenever.

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a perfect looking omelette - looks like a pizza! :)

Anonymous said...

great healthy way of using the whites up!

tavolini said...

That crisp crust does look good!

Jenn said...

mary: Thanks. It is perfect for whenever.

finsmom: it does doesn't it.

Ruth: Thanks.

TavoLini: The crust is always one of my faves.

Charles G Thompson said...

Looks yummy! Omelettes are always great for dinner. Thanks for the post!

lisaiscooking said...

I only make egg white omelettes when I have leftover egg whites, but they're so good. The green onions and tomatoes sound great.

Anonymous said...

I don't usually have egg white omelettes, but this looks really tasty!

Anonymous said...

Love the simplicity. I would eat this with some goat cheese, too!

Heather S-G said...

I love simple, delicious meals...which you are so good at!! You always make me want to head back into the kitchen.

Jenn said...

Charles, lisaiscooking: Thanks.

hummingbird: here's a way you can use them in case you do.

burpandslurp: goat cheese would be good.

girlichef: awe thanks. ;-)

Dana Fallentine said...

Looks like lunch from my favorite restaurant... California Pizza Kitchen. Delicious!

Jenn said...

Dana: Thanks.

pam said...

I wish I could remember to use of things like leftover egg yolks or whites. I have little bigs and jars of them stored all over in my freezer.

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea! I have a tub of egg whites sitting in the freezer!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love light and summery this omelette looks.

Jenn said...

Pam: Now you don't have to worry about wondering what to use them for.

pigpigscorner: omelettes! ;-)

nutmeg: Thanks.

teresa said...

What a lovely breakfast, adn so healthy!

Jenn said...

Teresa: Thanks. ;-)

Tangled Noodle said...

It looks almost like a pizza! What a delicious, healthy meal and a great way to use up egg whites. I actually avoid recipes that call for separating eggs and only using one part precisely because I hate to waste. I'll keep this in mind - a nice light meal (and I so crave the pan de sal!)

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: I sort of ate it like a pizza, too. hahaha...

гид в барселоне said...

So, I don't actually believe this will work.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger