Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fish Tacos


Does that first pic scream dream sequence or what?

Right now my fridge and cupboards are looking like slim pickings. I wasn't able to go to the farmer's market this past weekend, so I have to make due with what I've got left. Yet, I've noticed that sometimes the best recipes come out when I've got little to nothing in the kitchen. But when I do have the kitchen stocked up, I draw a complete and utter blank. I know I'm not alone on this.

Anyway, on that list of slim pickings are some leftover sun-dried tomato pesto, a couple whole wheat tortillas, a cup of plain Greek yogurt, and a couple cans of sardines in soybean oil. I only used one can. I don't get why sardines and anchovies get such a bad rap. It's good stuff. It's fish except one is slightly saltier. Oh well, that means more for me and whoever wants to partake in the fishy fun. So what did I make with those ingredients? I settled for some soft tacos. Did a quick pan-fry of the sardines, assembled the tacos and it was chow time.

A new version of the fish taco? Sure, why not? There's not a real fishy taste because of the pesto and yogurt. I gotta say I really liked it.

This makes 2 tacos.



Sardine Soft Tacos

2 taco-sized tortillas
1 4oz can sardines in oil
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Plain Yogurt
Paprika
Pieces of Butter Lettuce


Make sure to remove any bones or spine from the sardines.

In a small pan or skillet, pan-fry the sardines in its own oil. Season each side with paprika and cook until you get a slightly crisp crust. Roughly 2-3 min per side on medium to low heat.

When fully cooked, place on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.

Spread some sun-tried tomato pesto in the middle of the tortillas. Then place some of the pieces of the butter lettuce.

Divide the sardines evenly between the two and dollop some of the yogurt on top.

Wrap it up and enjoy.




35 comments:

Parita said...

Wow jenn, what a gorgeous click..classic!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome picture! Submit!!!!!!

chow and chatter said...

great recipe love it

Christo Gonzales said...

it is an awesome picture - and I love sardines - I dont know why the get such a bad rap

curlytop said...

Jenn,

Hi! I found your blog through Burp & Slurp and just wanted to introduce myself before commenting because my mother instilled a very strict attention to proper etiquitte at a very young age. I’m Emily. :D

Now that I’ve satisfied my inner Emily Post I just have to say that your photography is downright brilliant. I'm just getting into food photography myself so I'm rather obsessed with anyone who can snap clicks like that!

It was so nice to have “met” you! :D
With Love,
Emily

Creative Classroom Core said...

Fantastic photo!

KennyT said...

Hi Jenn, you've got lots of fantastic leftovers-dealing ideas, this is so cool. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love sardines...they are yummy. This is a great way to enjoy them, love it!

theUngourmet said...

This sounds really good! Very creative way to use up the things you had! I have never tried sardines. I have tried anchovies. Are they similar in taste at all?

Gorgeous photo too!

Pooja said...

Thde fish taco looks fabulous! I would definitely go for this now coz the combo would mask the sardine taste!

tavolini said...

I love sardines--good idea for the tacos, Jenn.

I'm the exact same way--whenever my cupboards are low, I'm a cooking genius ;)

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh man. Sardines in the taco? You've got us wondering now...we're scared of those little buggers if they're not ground up in a sauce. :) Your pesto is really making the rounds. Nice use!

Kelly said...

My father would go wild for this! Fish tacos are my food of the moment. I will have to try yours!

Jenn said...

Parita, chow and chatter, finsmom, Kenny: Thanks.

Heavenly Housewife: :-)

doggy: Me, too.

curlytop: thanks for stopping by.

tastyeatsathome: Then you'll love this.

the ungourmet: Somewhat except sardines aren't preserved with salt.

Pooja: it does, which is the great part of this.

TavoLini: LOL. Mabe I should have my cupboards empty more often. Oh wait it is.

Duo Dishes: They really aren't that scary. They're just like any other fish except smaller. =)

Kelly: I could go for a fish taco any day.

lisaiscooking said...

That sounds great! Sardines are so good for you with all those omega-3's is great to see another way to use them.

pam said...

I love sardines! This sounds good, great use of what you had!

Heather S-G said...

Sardines. Really? Huh...this sounds pretty tempting, actually. I can't even remember if I've ever had sardines. Weird. Now I want some.

teresa said...

I have actually never tried sardines, I can't wait to try them in these tacos!

Jenn said...

lisaiscooking: I love most types of fish. I can't say all because i haven't had all the types available. =)

Pam: Thanks

girlichef: They're just like any other fish. Except smaller.

Teresa: It's really good.

Anonymous said...

Love sardines and would love this taco! Gorgeous picture!

Anonymous said...

you, girl, are truly amazing.
Only a true genius of a chef can whip up something so gorgeous and delish with the slim-pickings in her pantry.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Your fish tacos look great! I am not a huge fan of sardines, but this recipe makes me want to give them another shot!

Reeni said...

I love fish tacos!! This is a delicious version!

Femin Susan said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing.......

Jenn said...

5 Star Foodie, Reeni: Thanks

burpandslurp: ;-)

Jen: yes, give sardines another shot.

Femin Susan: Your welcome!

Phyllis said...

Hi Jenn, I'm so impressed with your pantry meals! Especially how you made such a mouthwatering meal out of sardines (still a little too fishy for me, but I do love anchovies). Your gorgeous fish taco beats the curry ramen leftover meal I made tonight for sure!

MrsLavendula said...

i love sardines! this looks so easy to create! thanx for posting!

Jenn said...

Phyllis: Thanks.

Mrslavendula: Your welcome.

lola said...

that looks so good! thanks for the recipe.

Jenn said...

lola: Thanks.

Sippity Sup said...

I just love that top photo, those fishies look so comfy and snug wrapped in their...tortilla! GREG

Bren said...

i like this look. especially with the pesto!

Jenn said...

Sippity Sup: LOL

Bren: Thanks.

sex shop market said...

I consider everyone must read this.

www.filmoteca.biz said...

Quite worthwhile info, much thanks for the post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger