Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sausage Pizza Sticks


Every year, I receive one of those Hickory Farms gift boxes from a relative or close family friend. I never know what to do with the sausage and cheese in them. I just end up eating the strawberry candies and the using the little jar of hot mustard. I figured I could use them for breakfast with eggs or in a sandwich. Those sausage sticks are large. 6 to 8 inches long with a width of nearly a baseball bat. It was the Original Beef Summer Sausage, if anyone is interested.

Then I saw a a Pizza Hut commercial that showed this pizza twisty things. That would be fun to do. I didn't have pizza dough as I was feeling lazy to go out to the market or make some myself, but I did have a one puff pastry left from when I made those Cheesy Bell Pepper Swirls last week. I had a can of fire-roasted tomato in the pantry, so I used that instead of making a sauce and some shredded parmesan cheese. It sort of reminded me of the chicken bake from Costco but thinner. Ooo...I think I'll try to make that next.

I had used about 1/4 of the sausage for this, which is roughly 1 cup when chopped. So there will be few more sausage recipes coming soon. You can use your choice of sausage. It's not greasy so it can be easily held like a sandwich. Lightly coated the top crust with some olive oil, then sprinkled garlic powder and parmesan to give it a nice crisp crunch when baked.

You can switch out the sausage for your favorite pizza topping(s). This will make 3 pizza twists.



Sausage Pizza Sticks
1 puff pastry sheet
1 c sausage - chopped - your choice
1/2 c tomato (chopped and deseeded)
1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese (plus extra for the crust)
garlic powder
olive oil

Preheat your oven 400˚F.

Divide the pastry puff into three equal rectangular strips on a lightly floured flat surface.

Sprinkle the parmesan cheese down the center of each pastry. Top with the fire-roasted tomatoes, minus the liquid. The the sausage.

Roll the pastry puff tightly into a twist, starting from one corner. If not rolled tightly, the tomato juice will seep out causing the pastry to get mushy.

Lightly brush some olive oil on the crust and liberally sprinkle some garlic powder and the some extra parmesan.

Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20min.

34 comments:

Parita said...

Oh these are gorgeous, i would love to have them with hot soup!

Denise said...

Very clever and delicious looking.

Donna-FFW said...

I bet kids would have a fun time eating these. Pefect hand food!

Anonymous said...

I would just eat those for dinner. Anything with sausage is good.

Justin said...

another great use of puff pastry

OysterCulture said...

This so reminds me of the wrap ups my mom used to make for us as kids. Great idea!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great idea to serve with soup or as finger food for a casual party.

pigpigscorner said...

It's like stuffed crust =) puff pastry is so versatile and delicious isn't it!

Dewi said...

This is such a great idea Jenn. My nephews will certainly love this. I'll make it when they come to CA, hopefully soon.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Great idea! These look delicious - I love the new twist on pizza!

Creative Classroom Core said...

My husband would LOVE these! I should make them for lunch today... :)

Phyllis said...

haha - whenever I get one of those sausage cheese gift baskets, I'm always like "what the *** do I do with that?!" What a great idea for using that summer sausage! I just saw that Pizza hut commercial last night. This pizza stick reminds me of my beloved sausage rolls from Vancouver (sigh).

Zoe said...

oooh this looks delicious! I can hear the crunch now!

Sippity Sup said...

You are so good at finding inspiration from so many different sources! GREG

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Oh this looks really good. I have some chorizo in the fridge and I be that would be tasty.

Reeni said...

These portable beauties look yummy! Great idea to use the sausage!

Bob said...

Love it! I've done stuff like that with pizza dough, it's a good time.

Pooja said...

Wow awesome! Love to snack on this any time!

Jenn said...

Parita: This would really go great with soup.

Denise: Thanks.

Donna: Perfect for the kids. =)

hummingbird: Yes, sausage is good. mmmm...

Justin: Thanks

Oyster: That's neat.

Mary: I agree.

pigpigscorner: yeah. I love stuffed crusts.

Elra: They'll definitely love this.

Jen: Pizza doesn't have to be on flat round bread. =)

finsmom: he'll LOVE it!

Phyllis:

zoe: Thanks.

Greg: Aww... Thanks. I try. ;-)

Nutmeg Nannay: Oooo...chorizo. Go for it!

Reeni: Thanks.

Bob: It's good to change up the pizza sometime.

Unknown said...

Very creative. Its amazing all the cool things u can do puff pastry.

Christo Gonzales said...

nice! food with its own handle - great idea!

Diana said...

My dad always used to get those Hickory Farm's sausage baskets too around the holidays! I was never very interested as a kid though. Sausage kind of scared me. Too bad he doesn't get them any more now that I actually like the stuff!

Jenn said...

Heavenly: puff pastry is awesome!

doggy: I love portability.

Diana: Awe, who knows someone might give you one for the holiday.

The Duo Dishes said...

Leave the Ginos pizza rolls and pizza bagels at home! This is much better. And buttery puff pastry too? Mmmm.

Debbie said...

They look terrific and it's a great idea.....

teresa said...

We get those beefsticks every year too, now I know what to do with them! Delish!

chow and chatter said...

great idea Jenn as ever

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! My daughter would absolutely love this!

Jenn said...

Duo Dishes: This is the new pizza!

Debbie, chow ad chatter: Thanks.

Teresa: It's always a gussing game at what those beef sticks can be used for.

5 Star: Kids love eating with their hands, right?

tavolini said...

Smart! I like the concept--this would be great food to serve to kids. Probably good for a picnic, too ;)

Jenn said...

TavoLini: Definitely great to take on picnics!

Tangled Noodle said...

Okay - you just totally went over the line with this! Sausage rolled in puff pastry: I would trample little old ladies to get my hands on these!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: LoL. Poor little old ladies.

catalogo puertas metalicas said...

So, I do not really consider it may have effect.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger