Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Dish #2 - Honey-Herb Buttermilk Biscuits

No meal can't be complete without some type of bread. I figured biscuits was the only way to go. I took my usual buttermilk recipe (here) and jazzed it up a little by adding some herbs and a dash of honey. I love making these biscuits as you can get your hands in there to mix up the dough. The taste of it actually reminds me a little of those from Red Lobster.

This was actually the first thing I made on Thanksgiving. It was a good way to start the day with the smell of fresh baked biscuits cooking up in the oven. You can actually smell the herbs as they bake up. A good way to start the day.

Makes 9 biscuits.



Honey-Herb Buttermilk Biscuits


1 1/2 c All Purpose Flour (cake flour works too if you don't have anything else)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 c buttermilk
1/2 c unsalted butter (best if cold, cut into cubes)
1 Tbsp dry thyme
1 Tbsp dry basil
1-2 Tbsp honey


Preheat oven to 425° 
Sift flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Add dry basil and thyme. Crumble in butter and mix well until almost like a powder-thick consistency. Add honey and buttermilk again mix thoroughly well until it is of a dough consistency. You can add more milk, if needed. 

Then place the dough on a well-floured flat surface and knead a few times. Cut dough into desired size and place on baking sheet. Baked in oven 10-13 min.

12 comments:

Ameena said...

Yum Jen...these look awesome. I totally agree that no meal is complete without bread. Since I rarely run into gluten-fre bread it's no wonder I'm hungry all the time???

Jan said...

wow nice post...

http://cookingbachelors.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Mmmm, I love me some biscuits!!! Love anything with a bit of honey.
*kisses* HH

teresa said...

oh yum! this is just how i would like to kick off the day too!

Zoe said...

These biscuits will great for all occasions.

Danielle said...

Perfect gravy dipper right here! Gotta try this!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I imagine this is good with chicken and gravy..bookmarked the recipe..

theUngourmet said...

Mmm. Nothing beats warm fluffy biscuits. I love the thyme and honey in these.

lisaiscooking said...

Your biscuits look tall and lovely! I've had biscuits on my mind this week. I need to make some!

Reeni said...

What delicious biscuits with honey and herbs Jenn! I love making leftover sandwiches on them!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Loving the flavors in these biscuits! I bet they would be delicious to use the next day for a ham sandwich...yum!

Jasmine said...

Goodness, there is a lot of worthwhile info in this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger