Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cooking Tip of the Day

I realized that it's been a while since I've posted a cooking tip. So here is today's cooking tip. It may or may not be useful to your cooking life, but at least you'll know it for future reference.


You have probably heard of several cooking tips on how to make brown sugar soft again. Well here is one that I like: Put a slice of bread in the package and seal tightly. The sugar will absorb the moisture from the bread and soften up after a few hours or overnight.

Source:
http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/cooking_tips.html




A little side note:
I just want to acknowledge a couple of awards that I received this past week. The first one is from Rebecca from Chow and Chatter. Thank you very much for the award. Special shoutout to her today. Please check her blog out.


The second one is from Heavenly Housewife from Donuts to Delirium: My Life As A Housewife. Special shoutout to her today as well.

The rules of this award is that I pass it along to ten blogs that I have recently discovered. Then, those recipients should do the same.


So here is the ten:

Lisa is Cooking

Bonne Nuitrition

Girlichef

Elra's Cooking

A Blog About Food

Julie Jams

My Tasty Treasures

SheSimmers

Tasty Eats At Home

Pig Pig's Corner



Enjoy!

21 comments:

Dewi said...

Lovely lovely tips, is that how to make brwon sugar soft again? I had no idea. Thank you.

OMG, you give me an award? I am so honored. Thanks in a million. I feel so special, yippie!

Heather S-G said...

Thanks Jenn...you rock! And yes, this is a great tip!

Jenn said...

Elra: Yup, give it a try. And you're welcome. =)

girlichef: You're welcome.

Admin said...

Great tip, Jenn. And thank you so much for the shout-out! I appreciate it!

pigpigscorner said...

Thanks for the tip! I love little kitchen tips like this =) and thanks for the award! yay!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the awards, jenn! :D
oh, and you don't need an oven-proof skillet to make a frittata...all I did was wrap aluminum foil around the handle. smart, eh? hee hee hee, you're welcome! now you don't have an excuse not to make the frittata!

Jenn said...

Leela: You're welcome!

pigpigscorner: Anytime! =)

burpandslurp: That's pretty neat. I'll have to do that, now that I can' make frittatas.

lisaiscooking said...

Thanks so much! What great company to be in too. I've never tried that bread trick, but I will next time I need to soften some brown sugar.

Donna-FFW said...

Thank you for the tip and thank you ever so much for the award. You made my night!! Thank you!

teresa said...

Hey hey! Thanks so much! You've made my day!

Thanks for the cooking tip! I love stuff like that!

Zee said...

thanks for the tip Jenn! I didn't know that! hehehe :)

Jenn said...

lisaiscooking: you're welcome!

Donna-FFW: I'm glad. =)

Teresa: You're welcome. Cooking tips are great.

Zee: Now you know. So make sure you have that bread handy.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Great tip - I had never heard that before!

Chris said...

Great tip for the brown sugar! I don't use it often (not big into sweets), but it sure would be nice to have it be soft and easy to measure when I do need it.

Cucinista said...

Thanks for the tip and thanks also for sharing your blog discoveries. Always great to find more great food writers/lovers/eaters.

Anonymous said...

The bread thing also works amazingly well with stale dry cookies. Great tip and thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

I've heard that the bread tip also works to keep cookies soft! Didn't realize you could do it for brown sugar too.

Hope you are having a lovely Memorial Day weekend! :)

Jenn said...

Jen: Now you know!

Chris: Ya, it'll definitely help for measuring.

Cucinista: You're welcome.

OysterCulture: I've never that one about cookies. That's great!

Diana: Have a great day!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Hey-thanks a ton!! I almost missed this post-gosh,I'm honored!!

Jenn said...

Sweta: You're welcome. =)

Tangled Noodle said...

Congratulations on your awards!

I used to put slices of bread when I mailed out cookies to keep them soft but I will definitely use this idea to revive my sugars (nothing is more exasperating that having to massage a bag of hardened brown sugar).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger