Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mushroom Croquettes



Fun little appetizers, starter or snack. I was about to try making something with mushroom and pureed squash, but my brain wasn't up for making any type of sophisticated recipe. Rather than using an egg as a binding agent I used some Greek yogurt as well as serving this with a yogurt dip. I received a couple of coupons in the mail from Stoneyfield Farm Organic for their Oikos Greek Organic Yogurt.

I don't usually use yogurt for cooking I usually just eat it with some granola for breakfast or snack. So, I decided to give it a try, buying one 5oz cup. I used half in the mushroom mix and the other half for a dip. This would be good also with sour cream, if you'd prefer. It's pretty good. I have a couple more coupons, so I'll be using those soon.


This will make 6-8 croquettes. I had made 8, but you only see six in the picture because I had eaten two. I have to try it out just to make sure it's blog-worthy, right?


Mushroom Croquettes

2 Large Portabello mushroom caps (chopped)
Salt
pepper
paprika
3 oz sour cream or yogurt
1 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus extra)
Panko crumbs

In a pan, melt the butter and heat the oil. Saute the mushroom until they darker in color and tender. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Roughly 5-8min on medium heat.

Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Then mix in the sour cream or yogurt. Form into balls or whatever shape you'd like and coat completely with panko crumbs.

Heat some oil in another pan. Pan-fry the balls 2-3min each side. It will have a nice crispy crust on the outside and tender and flavorful on the inside. Place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.


Garlic Herb Yogurt Dip

4 Tbsp yogurt of choice
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

Combine ingredients together.


27 comments:

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

What a great tea time snack!! It'll be perfect with the dip :)

vanillasugarblog said...

takes me forever to get into your blog, but it's worth it.
these are much healthier versions of croquettes. love that dip, but then again I am a sauce freak.

Heather S-G said...

These do sound good! Love the dip, too...hmmm, may try these with my next wine.

Dewi said...

Mushroom Croquettes sounds fabulous Jenn, and the dip win me over. Yummy!

chow and chatter said...

great recipe you are a genius I love your blog it gives me ideas, maybe I will make it today lol

Christo Gonzales said...

dip-tastic - and the little mushroom poppers are da' bomb!

Jenn said...

Sweta: Perfect snack, indeed!

Dawn: LOL. I'm hoping blogger will resolve this issue soon.

girlichef: Perfect!

Elra: Nice!

Chow and Chatter: Awe shucks! Thanks!

Doggy: LOL thanks!!

Reeni said...

These are tasty little croquettes. The crispy crust has my mouth watering!

teresa said...

So impressive, I love anything with mushrooms, I'm making this next time I need an appetizer idea!

Anonymous said...

you seriously have the best recipes. there was not a single recipe that I did not want to make myself. yet another stellar one here. YUM!

Jenn said...

Reeni: It's got a good blend of crisp and tender.

Teresa: These are perfect little party starters.

burpandslurp: I'm glad you like them. =)

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look delicious! I love the Oikos for dips - yours sounds great!

Jenn said...

Jen: Thanks.

Justin said...

i probably always say this, but i'm really curious about how these taste

Joie de vivre said...

That yogurt dip sounds yum, yum!

Jenn said...

Justin: They taste really good. I love the flavors of the mushroom and paprika together. Blends well with the dip.

Joie: it is.

Donna-FFW said...

JENN!! I love the soound of these little gems. Mushrooms are such a pleasure of mine. I can not wait to add this to my menu!

Anonymous said...

You're really talking to me with mushrooms and appetizers - finger food is my idea of perfection,

Laila said...

Looks absolutely delicious ... Laila .. http://lailablogs.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the dip. I have to start working with yogurt more often. Thanks!


Eric

Jenn said...

Donna-FFW: Hope you like them!!

OysterCulture: I love finger food. Easy cleanup!

Laila: Thanks

Eric: I never realized how good yogurt was until I tried it with this.

alice said...

When I saw the picture of these I was wishing I had mushrooms to make these right now. Thanks for the recipe.

Jenn said...

Alice: You're welcome!

Sippity Sup said...

These croquettes are beautiful. I am have been so inspired by shrooms lately. I have been away and just now catching up with you bloggers. Great job...GREG

Jenn said...

Sippity Sup: Welcome back!!

Juanita said...

I've got a friend who is a mushroom fiend. she'll flip for these. thanks for posting!

Jenn said...

Juanita: You're welcome! Hope your friend enjoys them. =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger