Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bread Lasagna


Bread lasagna? Let's rewind to how it all began, which was yesterday. It was your average Monday. I had spent most of my day working on a script I had been writing for a while. When suddenly, the doorbell rings loudly several times. It was once of those multiple rings as if someone urgently wanted you at the door. It turned out to be the UPS lady. I sign for the package. A large box was eerily light.



As part of Foodbuzz's Tastemaker program, I received a couple loaves of bread to sample from Nature's Pride. I remember receiving sample from them last year as well. I do love my breads and I wouldn't turn down an offer like that. This time around the bread is for their new OvenClassics. The two loaves I received were Honey Wheat with Fiber. (30% less sodium than regular wheat bread, 10 grams whole grains and 4 grams of proteins per slice. -- In case you were interested in the nutritional value of it.)I immediately open one and ate up the end piece. Really tasty. Soft and not too chewy as some breads. Having these toasted with some jam or butter. Ooo...that sounds really good right now. I'm thinking about the sandwiches I'll be having with the rest of the bread now.

So, I check the time and realize that I need to think of something for dinner. I'm making ever effort to cook more when I'm not working on set. I had a craving for pasta so I cracked open one of the pasta sauces I had in pantry. That got me thinking...what if I used the bread as the pasta, what would that be like?

Fresh out of the oven. Yum! (Looks like one of the eggs slipped off)

I toasted the bread in the oven for several minutes and cut off the crust. I assembled it like you would with any lasagna. Bread, sauce, cheese, bread, sauce, cheese and to top if off an egg. I baked that up for a good 15 minutes and what you got here is one tasty delicious meal.

There are three other varieties of the OvenClassics as well. Give them a try and see what you can make with them.

Btw...if you haven't already Vote for me on the Marx Foods Mushroom recipe challenge: Here (Pinoy Style Mushroom Fried Rice)
Serves 2



Bread Lasagna

6 slices Wheat Bread - Nature's Pride Honey Wheat
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
2 c Marinara sauce
2 eggs

Preheat your oven to 450˚F. Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes or until toasted.

Let is cool for a couple of minutes then cut off the crusts as close to the edge as possible. (you can same the toasted crusts and tuen them into breadcrumbs)

Take a shallow baking dish and place two slices on the bottom, top with some cheese and some of the marinara. Repeat this two more times one on top of the other.. On the top makes a little nest with the cheese and crack one of the into it. Any additional sauce you can spread around it.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes just until the egg whites are cooked.

Serve warm.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really interesting - and looks yummy! I've seen a lot of foods topped with eggs lately - intriguing!

vanillasugarblog said...

now that is interesting and yummy too. i bet this would be so good using sourdough bread you know?

Sasha said...

Ooh! This is fabulous. What a great idea.

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

cute & unique! :) Nice job!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great idea! Looks & sounds tasty!

Ameena said...

This is a really clever way to use up bread! And it's a smart way to make lasagna when you don't have noodles. Great idea!

Debbie said...

Very clever! I would have never thought of this and it looks delicious!

lisaiscooking said...

This looks great! It's like bread pudding/lasanga. And, the egg on top is fantastic.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

You are so inventive! I bet this was delicious :)

dining tables said...

This is something new to me. Very interesting. I want to try this one.

Paula said...

what a great blog!
looks so delicious!

have a nice time!
Paula

Pam said...

Look how creative you are! I think it looks hearty and comforting.

The Duo Dishes said...

The egg tops it off!

theUngourmet said...

I have to say, you are fearless in the kitchen, girl! I would never have thought to do this. What a cool idea! I'd love to try this!

Reeni said...

Love this idea Jenn! Especially with the egg on top!

Kristen said...

what a neat idea!

Heather S-G said...

Wow...bread lasagna actually sounds pretty amazing! I love the egg on top, too...YUM!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

A truly unique idea and one I never would have thought of. Really love the idea of such a fast lasagna!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger