Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Egg Drop Soup with Mushroom Broth


My first soup for the fall season. Yippy!! The weather yesterday in L.A. was great and I hope that it lasts quite a while. So to make use of the lovely weather I decided soup was the way to go. I still had the broth from the dried mushrooms when I cooked up the Wild Mushroom Fried Rice. I went for something relatively simple. I didn't want to spend too much time fussing over having to chop any veggies or having to go out and get any special ingredient.

One of my favorite soups is egg drop soup. Usually found at many Chinese restaurants. I had made it before on this blog, I kicked it up a notch a little -- at least in my bowl -- with a little sriracha. Give it a little spicy hotness with a corn a mushroom taste. It's perfect as a light meal with maybe a dinner roll or two because I love to dip breads and crackers into soups sometimes. And having looked at the weather for the coming week, I have a feeling I'll be having myself some more soups in the days to come. Yay!

Serves 3-4



Egg Drop Soup in Mushroom Broth

5 c Mushroom Broth
1 12oz can cream style corn
1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved 1Tbsp water
2 eggs - lightly beaten in a small bowl
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 scallion - chopped
1 c shredded cooked chicken - optional
1 Tbsp sriracha - optional

Note: to make homemade mushroom broth. You'll need 1-1 1/2 cup mushroom fresh pieces or dried and let it soak for 15-30 minutes in 5 cups boiling water. Separate the mushroom from broth.

Bring the broth to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, lower the heat and let simmer. Slowly add the egg while stirring the broth continuously. Once all the eggs has been cooked add the cream style corn, scallion and optional chicken. Season with the salt and pepper.

Let the mixture simmer for a minute or two before add the diluted corn starch. The soup will slightly thicken. Then finally add the optional sriracha. Bring the heat up a little to a medium high and bring to a slight boil.

Serve hot or warm.




Egg Drop Soup

8 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

Egg drop soup is my favorite! Sounds great with your mushroom broth.

Donna-FFW said...

What a uniquely creative way to make egg droup soup. Bet the flavor was fantastic.

Unknown said...

Yum - looks warm & comforting. Plus, I'll never say no to sriracha!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Egg drop soup is such comfort food. And mushrooms make everything better... :-)

Alisa said...

I've been making egg drop soup since last week.The mushroom broth sounds delicious.I hope you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget at the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Heather S-G said...

Yippee...Soup! Sounds delicious...love the mushroom variation :D

Pam said...

I bet this is so good with the mushroom broth!

www.madrid-3d.com said...

Quite useful piece of writing, thank you for this article.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger