Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pinoy Style Wild Mushroom Fried Rice



Since I wasn't able to join in on the Food Blog Challenge, which has some amazing participants. I did the next best thing. I enter myself in a Blogger Mushroom Recipe Challenge from Marx Foods. I wasn't always a lover of mushrooms. As a child, I always thought of them as "icky" knowing the fact that they were a fungi. Though, I know better now and love them like Mario loves them to to grow into Super Mario. (That was a Super Marios Bros reference, if you didn't get it) I like learning of the different varieties too. In which I had no idea there were to many aside from the onces found on your supermarket shelves.

I've been saying for the past several weeks how I wanted to start cooking again. Though, due to time constraints and work that made it a little difficult for me to do. So when I received word of the challenge I figured why not. This was my chance to get back in the kitchen. Grabbing the opportunity while it was there.


So, I received a little 1/2oz  package sampler of dried mushrooms that are currently in season. Morel, Matsutake, Black Trumpet, Lobster and Porcini. The smell of them when you open the box was just awesome.

Participants can use some or all the mushroom and create a dish and must be posted by October 11th. I'm posting mine today. Then the folks at Marx Foods will open it up to voting for you lovely awesome interweb friends of mine to choose which recipe you like best. You will vote for mine...right? Winner receives 3 shipments of fresh wild mushrooms. Can you imagine the mushroom dishes one can make with that????? Seriously...think about it. Mmmm...

So on to my entry into the Mushroom Recipe Challenge. I used the morel, lobster and black trumpet mushrooms for this. I'm reaching into my Filipno roots for this one. And cooked up a simple, yet delicious Pinoy Style Wild Mushroom Fried Rice. 


Thanks again to Marx Foods!!


Serves 3





Pinoy Style Wild Mushroom Fried Rice.

1/2 oz dried morel mushroom
1/2 oz dried black trumpet mushrooms
1/2 oz dried Lobster mushrooms
2 large garlic cloves - fine shopped
1 Tbsp margarine
extra virgin olive oil
3 c cooked white rice
1 tsp garlic salt
water

Note: leftover rice is also okay.

Bring a small post of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add all three dried mushrooms. This is to rehydrate them. Let them soak for about 15-30 minutes, then drain. Give the mushrooms a nice rough chop. (bite size pieces) You can save the broth and use it for soup or a different dish.

In a non-stick skillet heat some olive oil -- Enough to coat the pan. Cook the garlic until slightly brown, then add the mushroom. Saute then for roughly 2-3 minutes. Add the margarine.

Once all the margarine has melted, add the rice. Be sure to stir and toss constantly to break the rice apart also to keep it from sticking to the pan. Add in the garlic salt and stir again to fully combine.

Serve warm.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What a delicious selection of mushrooms, I love the dish you made from them.
Hopefully you can join the Food Buzz competition next year (i'm sure its going to be a yearly thing). You'll have my vote.
*kisses* HH

Christo Gonzales said...

what a great idea - the rice looks fantastic - with such a nice assortment of wild mushrooms its hard to go wrong.

pigpigscorner said...

I happen to love mushrooms! yum!

tavolini said...

That looks really good! I've been playing around with my mushrooms and still haven't found a dish I like enough to enter ;)

Love the rice / mushroom combo.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

I am drooling over this fried rice! I love adding mushrooms in my rice too. Thank you for sharing this.

vanillasugarblog said...

you can never go wrong with wild mushrooms added in. perfect!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great dish!

And I used to LOVE Super Mario Bros. Thanks for bringing back memories... :-)

The Duo Dishes said...

Good luck to you! This sounds like a great way to use mushrooms, especially now that the weather here in LA is nice and chilly. Perfect, right?

Ameena said...

I love mushrooms and I love fried rice!

I do think that you should go for the Food Buzz competition next year because you are super talented cook!

OysterCulture said...

Best of luck on the competition and I bet you'll knock their socks off with this tasty treat.

Debbie said...

What a great idea to use all those different mushrooms! It looks delicious!

lisa is cooking said...

Mushrooms are a favorite, fried rice is a favorite, and this sounds fantastic! Great selection of dried mushrooms too.

Anonymous said...

A terrific way of using these mushrooms - the rice sounds so good, this definitely would be a hit with my family!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger