Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Broiled Grouper Lettuce Wraps



Grouper. Group...er. Or as I just found out Lapu-Lapu in tagalog. I never knew the two were the same fish. haha... No wonder I liked it a lot. I've had this fish before, whole (head and all) in a sweet and sour dish. It's a white fish similar in taste and texture to the halibut. Before I found out it's Philippine name, it was the obvious choice to make when I ventured into the farmer's market and waltz my way to the Dry Dock Fish booth. I don't think I've seen it there before.



I decided to serve this fish as a "make your own"-style lettuce wraps. Give the person the opportunity to put as much into the lettuce as they want. I seasoned the grouper and broiled it. Coming out flaky, juicy and flavorful. I had some time the day before so I made some tartar sauce to go with the fish, which brought a nice balance of flavors. Chopped up some tomatoes and green onions. Also some shredded cheese.  Put those into separate small bowls. Cut out the best looking leaves from a nice head of red leaf lettuce. Set it out on a board and served it as it was.

It's a fun, interactive meal for all. Put as much or as little and make it your own.

Serves 2-3



Broiled Grouper Lettuce Wraps

2 group fillet (or your choice of while fish)
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
paprika
     ( or your choice of seasoning)
1/2 c sweet onion or green onion - chopped
1 ripe tomato - small diced
1/2 shredded cheese (your choice)
Lettuce
Tartar sauce (see recipe below or store bought)

Lightly coat the filets with some olive oil, then season well with salt, pepper, paprika or your choice of seasonings. Let it rest at least 30 minutes before cooking to let the seasonings settle into the meat. 

Preheat your broiler.

Place the filets on a foil lined baking sheet and broil until the fish for 8-10 minutes. Then flip and broil the other side for another 5-10 minutes. Based on 3/4-inch thick slices.

Putting it together: 
Serve the tartar sauce (recipe below), onion, tomato, cheese  and cheese into small separate bowls, the grouper on the plate and let your diners create their own lettuce wraps.

Note: feel free to add any other condiments you prefer.


Tartar Sauce

1 c light mayo
1 1/4 tsp sweet relish
1/2 medium onion - finely chopped
1 tsp dry parsley
1 tsp dry thyme
2 Tbsp horseradish mustard (Emeril's)
1/2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients together and set aside. Chill in the fridge for an hour before serving to let the flavors blend. May be made in advance.


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved broiled fish. It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this fun interactive and healthy recipe! Will definitely make it for my family! Great idea!

lisaiscooking said...

That's a great idea for a lettuce wrap! I always use chicken, and now I wonder why I never tried fish? Looks delicious!

Pam said...

What a healthy and delicious meal.

Bob said...

Looks great! Love the lettuce wraps, much healthier than bread.

Unknown said...

Very atkins friendly :) I never had anything in a lettuce wrap. The fish looks fab :)

teresa said...

i just ate, but i still want to dig into these lettuce wraps! i would never think to do them with fish, delicious!

Jenn said...

Hummingbird, 5 Star, Pam: Thanks.

Lisa: Now you can.

Bob: I agree, but I'd still have bread on the side. lol.

HH: lol. Very. Though, I not much into diet fads,

Teresa: hehe...

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love lettuce wraps. These sound & look awesome! I don't think I've ever made grouper... Something else new to try... :)

Unknown said...

I love lettuce wraps and always have making different variations. I was thinking about making fish tonight, so this might be the recipe I use! Thanks for the inspiration!

theUngourmet said...

Hi Jenn! This looks so great! I love making my own tarter sauce. What a nice recipe for it!

Sippity Sup said...

My years in Florida made a grouper lover out of me! GREG

Jenn said...

Andrea: Grouper is a tasty fish.

Ungourmet: homemade is good.

Greg: ;-D

Diana said...

Red leaf lettuce makes such a difference here -- nice choice! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love recipes like this one. Your photos are amazing. You've made me hungry.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum.. what a healthy and delicious recipe! I always enjoy lettuce wraps because of the nice crunch. Great idea to make them with broiled fish!

OysterCulture said...

Yum, I just had a fish taco today, somehow I knew fish was going to be on your menu! =) It looks very yummy

Phyllis said...

Grouper looks delicious with the seasoning. I just made some Asian style shrimp lettuce wraps this week but I never thought to switch up the spices and add all those fun condiments. Great idea :)

Jenn said...

Diana: Thanks.

Mary: :-D

Jen: It's a nice change from eat wraps with tortillas.

Oyster: hehe... It's the fish connection.

Phyllis: I gotta try shrimp wraps next time.

Jamie said...

Everything you make is so tempting and scrumptious looking! This is another one I want to try. I am so afraid of making fish but this looks wonderful!

Jenn said...

Jamie: Give it a try. It's not as hard as you think. Plus fish it relatively easy to make.

Parita said...

Loved the tartar sauce..sounds delicious :-)

Reeni said...

This looks really, really yummy! So healthy and so delicious!

Jenn said...

Parita, Reeni: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger