Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Homemade Grenadine



Grenadine is most know for it's use in beverages like the Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers. There have been many times when I went to the store to try and find a bottle of the stuff, when there's none to be found. I finally figured that it was time that I made my own. It's pretty easy to make. Just like making simple syrup. All you'll need is fresh pomegranate seeds with water or pomegranate juice mixed with sugar. The syrup will keep for about a month in the fridge. Just keep it in a clean, tight-sealed bottle or container.

The first thing I made with my new batch of grenadine was, of course, a Shirley Temple. Brought back memories of my childhood when I pretended I was drinking alcohol. That was me trying to be "cool" back then.  The only thing missing in my glass was a nice cherry. I knew I forgot to get something when I went shopping at the grocery. Now I have to think of something clever with what I can make with the rest of the grenadine. Don't want to make drinks out of the whole thing. The wheels in my head are turning.

Makes roughly 2 cups





Homemade Grenadine
1 lb pomegranate
1 c water
     (or 2 1/2 c POM juice)
1 1/2c sugar

--
For using fresh pomegranate follow this section, if using POM juice, see next section:
Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and on medium to low heat bring to a simmer until the juices are released from the seeds. Place the mixture in a blender, food processor for to break the seedlings from the inner seed. You may use a hand blender as well. Strain through a wire mesh strainer or cheese cloth to extract all the liquids and back into the pot.
 --
For using POM juice:
Bring the POM juice to a slight boil, then simmer on medium to low heat to reduce the liquid.
--

Bring the heat back to medium, add the sugar to the pomegranate mixture. Stir occasionally until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly thick.

Cool the mixture, then pour into a decorative bottle or container.


Shirley Temple

sprite or 7-up
1-2 Tbsp grenadine
ice
cherry (optional)
splash of vodka (optional)

Pour sprite or 7-up on a glass with ice. Add the grenadine and stir to blend. Top with a cherry.


34 comments:

Jamie said...

Beautiful pictures! They sell bottles of grenadine in France - the drink for kids when mixed with water - but the stuff is so full of glucose or sucrose or whatever chemicals they can think of. Yours is pure and clean and must taste stunning! Yay for you for thinking of making this!

Reeni said...

I always thought grenadine was made from cherries. Shows how much I know. I bet this is way better than store-bought! This would be yummy in a dessert - like frosting, mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Homemade grenadine sounds excellent! Need to get some more POM & try it!

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

I would never thought that it's possible to make grenadine at home! Thanks for sharing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a fun post. I make Shirley Temple for my grandchildren. It's good to know the syrup can be made at home.

Mardi Michels said...

Great idea! I love a bit of grenadine in sparkling water!

Pam said...

Oh Jenn, my kids are going to love you! They LOVE, love, love Shirley Temples. Actually, so do I.

Unknown said...

I never knew it was so simple to make at home - especially if you use POM juice. Very cool!

Unknown said...

Its the most beautiful colour. I especially like it when it settles to the bottom and makes a color graduation, so pretty!

Tangled Noodle said...

This is great! I never considered making it myself; as with so many ingredients, I just figured it was a complicated process.

I loved Shirley Temples! In fact, I remember my very first one - at The Mill, a now-closed restaurant in Ottawa, Canada. I was about 7 yrs old and my parents took me to dinner right after ballet class. I felt so grown-up, despite the pink leotard and tights I had on at the time! 8-)

Sylvia said...

I love grenadine,I usually bought the bottles here, but the idea that I make my own is tempting

Jenn said...

Jamie: Thanks.

Reeni: Hehe...we always learn something new everyday.

5 Star: ;-D

Chocolaty: It is possible.

Mary: Yup.

Mardi: I love that too.

Pam: Aww...;-D

Valley: Yeah. Sometimes we this it's very complicated when it isn't. ;-D

HH: Thanks.

Tangled: I can just imagine you with a Shirley Temple in hand. hehe...

Sylvia: I could never find the bottled stuff, so I took it upon myself to make it at home.

Christo Gonzales said...

very creative - I bet the flavor was so nice and fresh!

Jenn said...

doggy: It was very refreshing and tasty.

Bob said...

Awesome. Another thing I never thought to make myself.

Diana H said...

I didn't know grenadine was from pomegranate. That's a pretty cool idea.

chow and chatter said...

this looks so refreshing oh and the salmon rocks please can I add to seafood blog pretty please? Rebecca

Jenn said...

Bob: now you can. ;-D

Diana: ;-D

CC: Sure. Go for it.

Fresh Local and Best said...

Jenn,

This is surprisingly very simple to make! What a great secret! Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Christine

Thistlemoon said...

Not only does your grenadine probably taste better, but it doesn't have nasty corn syrup in it like all the stuff at the stores! Great entry!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Love, love, love the pictures!

And it sounds delicious!

Diana said...

Aww I used to love shirley temples growing up! They were my favorite part of going out to eat! (aside from the bread basket)

Debbie said...

What a great looking drink! It looks so delicious and reminds me of summer!

Daily Spud said...

Thanks for introducing me to both Shirley Temple (the drink that is!) & homemade grenadine - I love it when I get 2 for the price of one :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Let's hope you'll be drinking many cocktails with this homemade find.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Your grenadine looks great! I made some not too long ago, it's amazing how easy and delicious it is:)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Ooh - beautiful! I just bought a pomegranate today and had some of the seeds on my salad for dinner. I have some left, though - might have to give this a try! I love the color of grenadine... Thinking I could make super pretty mojitos :)

figtree said...

I love the color of the grenadine..your phots are great.

Anonymous said...

goodness gracious! thank you, thank you for this!! I've been looking for grenadine for the longest time, and yes you're right, it's so hard to find. The Shirley Temple is one of my all time favorite drinks too. Thanks for letting me know how easy it is to make.

Jenn said...

Fresh local: You're welcome

Jenn, Andrea: Thanks.

Diana: I'd eat up the bread basket, too.

Debbie: Yes, a definitely summer drink. Or a happy hour drink.

Daily Spud: ;-D

Duo: You'll just have to wait and see.

Nutmeg: No need to search the stores now.

Jen: Mmm..POm mojitos sounds really good.

figtree: Thanks.

Epicurean: you're welcome!

Anonymous said...

you know I don't think I ever knew what grenadine was really made of. I never thought to do this before but Im gonna start ordering shirley temples with vodka in them at the bar! Awesome photos.

Heather S-G said...

Nice! I love Shirley Temples. Like it with the POM, may just have to tr it :D

Jenn said...

yosoy: Yeah, shirley temples are really good. It's one of my alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

girlichef: Do it!! lol.

OysterCulture said...

I love Shirely Temples, as a kid, I always thought I was so grown up when ever I got one and could eat the maraschino cherry. So cool

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger