Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Grilled Cheese



This week I received a lovely package on my doorstep. Bread! Yes, bread. Woohoo... Special thanks to Foodbuzz and Nature's Pride for the samplings. In the box were two loaves. One was a 100% wheat and the other was a 12-grain loaf. I've already been a fan of wheat breads for as long as I can remember and this was no exception. I haven't had many grain breads aside from having them in crackers, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the 12-grain bread. Give them a try.




Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when anyone sees sliced bread is sandwiches. But what kind? I opted for some good ol' fashioned comfort food. The classic grilled cheese to be exact. Brings back memories of childhood and memories of my college days. I ate grilled cheese sandwiches, along with cheese quesadillas, from the cafeteria like there was no tomorrow. Well, except on chimichanga Thursdays. It's always been my "last ditch effort" meal when I'm stumped for what to make or simply felt lazy to cook anything in the kitchen. "I'm feeling lazy today, I think I'll make a grilled cheese."

My cheese of choice for this sandwich was some shredded mozzarella. You can choose any cheese you prefer. The awesome thing about recipes and comfort food is that you can make them to your own needs and likes. I would have added some tomato slices, but I was saving my tomato for a dish was I was going to cook the following day. I cooked the sandwich on a small pan as I didn't feel like lugging out big Georgie just for a small sandwich. My simple easy lunch on a lovely LA day. I had this with a handfull of some Vermont grapes. I had gotten from the farmer's market. Comfort food plus cheesy deliciousness equals yummy!

You don't need me to tell you how to make grilled cheese, do I?

I'll put the recipe down for those who aren't comfortable in the kitchen. Or just need a refresher, I think this should get you going. It's really easy and simple and can maybe even spark your love for cooking. Jazz it up to your liking and you'll be surprised by what you can make out of it.




Grilled Cheese

2 slices of bread (your choice)
1-2 slices or 1/4 c shredded of cheese (your choice)
butter
2 tomato slices (optional)


Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread.

Place a slice of cheese on the other side and put the two breads together to form the sandwich. Add the optional tomato slices as well. The buttered sides should be the outer layers.

Heat a skillet and cook both sides until the bread has browned and toasted. 3-5 minutes each side on medium heat.

Serve warm

Note: If you've got a grill or press, cook for 4-5 minutes until bread is browned and toasted.


23 comments:

KennyT said...

Grilled cheese, yay! Simple and yummilicious!

Anonymous said...

grilled cheese is such a great meal :) love that brand of bread too!

Mardi Michels said...

Gotta love a grilled cheese! Also have to say wish that Tastemakers would extend into Canada since I am having sample envy on all the blogs featuring this bread!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! I got samples of the Natures Pride bread, too! However, my husband ate an entire loaf before I feven made anything to review. I guess that's a pretty good sign.

OysterCulture said...

grilled cheese may be so basic - but it is just so good! your looks perfect!

chow and chatter said...

oh yeah can't beat a simple grilled cheese love it

Marvin said...

I love grilled cheese, especially with tomatoes too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Grilled cheese is a favorite here as well. We like it with smoked turkey bacon or thin slices of crisp garlic dill pickles.

Christo Gonzales said...

I saw this post and immediately made a grilled cheese with provolone!

Jenn said...

Kenny: :--D

peanut: Yeah, I was srprised how good they are.

Mardi: Hehe...Maybe they will.

Jen: I guess that means it's a hit.

Oyster: Thanks.

CC: Yup.

Marvin: Only in recent years have I begun to like my grilled cheese with tomato.

Mary: Those sounds good, too.

Doggy: Can't resist the grilled cheese either, eh?

theUngourmet said...

Yum! I love grilled cheese and I bet the grapes were great with it!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

You could also do it in a waffle maker...if you have one. Looks nice, with the grapes and maybe some walnuts

Sasha said...

Looks delicious!
Now I regret not signing up for that bread too : /

teresa said...

there are few things better then a melty grilled cheese sandwich, yours looks simply divine!

Jenn said...

Ungourmet: They were.

Kitchen: Yes, a waffle maker is also useful.

Sasha: I'm sure there'll be more.

Teresa: Nothing beats the grilled cheese.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love grilled cheese... Well, I love anything with cheese. But ooey gooey cheese is the best! :)

NMOS said...

Grilled cheese is one of my all-time favorite comfort food classics. Try it with tomato soup!

Jenn said...

Andrea: Cheese is good. Very good.

NMOS: I love having grilled cheese with tomato soup.

tavolini said...

We did grilled cheese with tomatoes, too :)

Looks great!

Reeni said...

I know what's for breakfast now!! Luckily I still have some of this tasty bread left!

Jenn said...

TavoLini: Woohoo...

Reeni: I'm really enjoying the bread.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

A yummy grilled cheese is classic comfort food:)

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: yes it is.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger