Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cinnamon Chicken Bowl



The rice bowl. I can always go for a cool rice bowl every once in a while. I don't eat rice as much as I used to, but I still enjoy a nice hefty bowl of the white variety every once in a while. It's the Asian in me. For this one I decided to make some cinnamon chicken strips with oyster sauce.

I marinated the slices of chicken breast in a sort of cinnamon paste rub concoction. I was really playing around with some of the spices I had in the pantry. The mixture looked like a science experiment gone bad. But I went ahead anyway. I rubbed the chicken pieces really good. I let it rest couple hours to let the flavors blend into the meat while I did my errands. When I came back all I had to do was broil it. Can you tell I love broiling things? Got a nice char on them. You can grill it also if you'd like. While that cooked I made a simple oyster sauce to go on top.

To serve with the chicken, I made some Japanese short grain white rice rice that I added some rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds turning it into sushi rice. Really good. I also made some simple steamed chopped baby bok choy. Topped it with a few chicken slices and drizzled some of the oyster sauce.

Cinnamon-y goodness. 

Serves 2




Cinnamon Chicken Bowl

4 baby bok choy - chopped (or you choice of vegetable)
1 chicken breast - cut to slices
3-4 c cooked white rice (preferably short grain Japanese rice)
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar

 Rub/Marinade:
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dry rosemary
1 large garlic clove - minced 
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

Oyster Sauce:
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine evineger
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp fish sauce


Combine all the ingredients of the marinade together. Rub the mixture into the chicken pieces and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. This can be done in advance.

Combine the ingredients for the oyster sauce and set aside.

Combine the rice, rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds. Gently fold in the rice to mix the three together. Set aside and keep warm.

Preheat your broiler and prepare your steamer.

Place the chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes. Basted the chicken with some of the oyster sauce and flip the chicken slices and broil for another 2-3 minutes.  Baste the other side as well.

Let the chicken rest for 2-5 minutes before handling.

While the chicken bakes, Place the chopped bok choy in the steamer and cook until it is tender.

Combine the rice, rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds.  Gently fold in the rice to mix and keep warm.

Put it together:
Take a large bowl. One side place a serving of rice. Next to it place some of the steamed baby bok choy. Place a few strips of the chicken on top and drizzle some of the oyster sauce on top.


27 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This sounds Extremely delicious! What a cool idea for a paste...sticky goodness :D

Unknown said...

Mmmm cinnamon chicken, this totally speaks to me!

tavolini said...

Yum! That does sound good. I like how you spiced the rice--I need to flavor up my rice a bit. Good mix of flavors, here :)

vanillasugarblog said...

Jenn! that sauce oh that sauce! girl I just love this.

teresa said...

i have never had anything like this, but just reading through the ingredients made my mouth water! how delicious!

Bob said...

That sounds mad good, it's a flavor combo I wouldn't have ever thought of.

Pam said...

I think this dish looks and sounds delicious. I love cinnamon anything.

Mardi Michels said...

What a great combination idea!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the way this looks and there is not a flavor in this recipe I don't love.

Sippity Sup said...

cinnamon is so versatile. I love it!

Jamie said...

Thais looks so outrageously delicious! Wow! And for 2? I'll be making this for hubby and I. What a fantastic dish! Yay Jenn!

Jenn said...

Girlichef: Thanks.

HH; It speaks to me, too.

TavoLini: Yeah. As much as I like plain white rice. I like to jazz it up a bit every once in a while.

Dawn: ;-D

Teresa: hehe...

Bob, Mardi: Thanks.

Pam. Cinnamon is a must to have in my pantry.

Mary: Woohoo!!

greg: yes, it is!

Jamie: Dinner for two. :-D

myboyfriendcooksforme said...

I think just playing with what you have in the pantry is the way cooking should be. And it looks like it all worked out in the end, which is even better!

chow and chatter said...

oh this is a cool creation I made gnochi today you inspired me

lisaiscooking said...

I love the versatility of a rice bowl kind of meal, and your sauce looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

That chicken looks delicious!

Hal B said...

What a fantastic flavor combination. Very creative. I'm going to have to try this one.

theUngourmet said...

This marinade sounds so delicious! I love the ingredient combo you used and the broiling was an excellent idea. I didn't eat dinner tonight because I wasn't hungry at the time. Now I wish I had a bowl of this goodness to eat!

Jenn said...

myboyfriendcooks, ValleyWriter: Thanks.

CC: cool. I hope you enjoyed it.

Lisa: ;-D

Hal: You should.

Ungourmet: Have a snack.

Sophia said...

Wow, looks really good and homey! Beats Yoshinoya for sure! Have you ever eaten there? Talk about unappetizing, but yours makes me drool!

Reeni said...

I love cinnamon chicken!! The flavors in this are just amazing!

Jenn said...

Sophia: Yeah. I've eaten at yoshinoya. it was like a staple during my teenage years.

Reeni: Thanks.

OysterCulture said...

that looks so good and I've never made chicken like this, I'll have to it looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

The marinade looks so flavorful!

Jenn said...

Oyster, Hummingbird: Thanks.

Admin said...

Looks like a perfect, healthy lunch to me. :)

Jenn said...

Leela: thanks!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger