Search Bread + Butter

Friday, October 9, 2009

Gnocchi with Spinach & Tomato



Yummy gnocchi. Pillows of deliciousness. Now that I've gotten the hang of making these potato pasta, I figured I'd try having them with something else. I had some grape tomatoes and a bell pepper I had gotten from the farmer's market I've been planning to use. Okay, I'll make a kind of sauce. Cool.

But I didn't want to make it just a "tomato" sauce. During this time of the week, my fridge looks like a a near empty cave. Check the freezer. I do have some frozen veggies. Picked up one of the small boxes. Spinach, okay. I get one of those one eyebrow raised expressions on my face. I think this could work.

I boil the potatoes, while that's going I get the tomato spinach sauce going. I quickly roasted the tomatoes and bell pepper in the broiler for 15 minutes to give get the juices going. Saute some garlic and add the tomato and bell pepper. Drizzle a good helping of olive oil and bring the whole thing to a simmer.

Then I got to making the gnocchi. I made then in a wheat version by replacing half the required flour with wheat flour. It still tasted great. Turned them into little dumpling and boiled them in some salted water. Then tossed the freshly boiled gnocchi into the spinach, scoop out a nice serving and chow time. It's oh-so-delicious!
 
Serves 2-3




Gnocchi with Spinach and Tomato


For my Gnocchi recipe click here

Note: you can use your choice of pasta for this recipe as well.

Spinach and Tomato
1 lb grape tomato or 3 medium ripe tomatoes - quartered
1 medium yellow bell pepper - deseeded and quartered
1 lb spinach - fresh or frozen - washed and drained
1 garlic clove - finely chopped
1/8 c extra virgin olive oil (plus extra)
salt
pepper

Preheat your broiler.

If using large tomatoes, chop them into chunks.

Place the tomatoes and bell peppers on a baking sheet coat them in some olive oil and season with salt. Make sure to coat them evenly.

Roast for 15 minutes.

In a sauce pan, heat a nice drizzle of oil on medium heat.. Saute the garlic for about 30. Then add the tomatoes and bell pepper.

Add the spinach and stir to combine everything together.  Drizzle the 1/8 c olive oil. Stir again to combine.

Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes to let the juices of the tomato blend in, then mix in the cooked gnocchi or pasta of your choice.

Toss together

Serve warm with an optional sprinkle of parmesan cheese.



27 comments:

Sanghi said...

Wow.. yummy ! lovely pic@!!

Donna-FFW said...

Your recipe is fantastic!! How in the world do you find the time to work, blog, and create different dishes every day? My hats off to you.

tavolini said...

I need to try your gnocchi recipe. My gnocchi is straight lousy ;)

Unknown said...

Its so impressive that you make your own gnocchi, i need to try that one of these days.

Miranda said...

Yum. I love LOVE Gnocchi. It is an all time fav. I have not made it homemade yet...I hope too.
By the way, I have a VERY close friend who is a producer, actor, writer in LA. I wonder if you too have ever ran into each other....

Tangled Noodle said...

You are so far ahead of me - I haven't even made my first batch of gnocchi ever, and already you're tossing ingredients together to make an off-the-cuff sauce! This looks classic and delicious.

Debbie said...

Love the recipe. It looks wonderful. I've never made any kind of homemade pasta. The spinach and tomato look so tasty too!

Bob said...

Gnocchi are a good time. The whole thing looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Gnocchi look and sound fabulous! I haven't had them in a long time, need to make them soon!

Heather S-G said...

Perhaps I could just lay my head down on these pillows, so that all I had to do was open my mouth and scoop up a bite. I think it'd be worth it ;)

Sippity Sup said...

Another gnocchi success! GREG

teresa said...

i just love gnocchi, this looks wonderful!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love gnocchi. I always order them if they are on a menu and judge the restaurant by them...

I really have to make my own again! Yours look and sound delicious. I love tomato and spinach... And I can just taste the gnocchi... Maybe I'll make them this weekend! :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I keep telling myself I'm going to make gnocchi but have yet to do it. I love the sauce you made. It's rich and delicious and healthy too! I just need to get my butt into the kitchen and start learning to make these delicious beauties:)

Jenn said...

Sanghi: Thanks.

Donna: ;-D

TavoLini, HH: Give it a go.

Miranda: Maybe we have.

Tangled, Bob, Greg, Teresa: Thanks.

Debbie: Making homemade pasta is pretty fun.

5 Star: I agree.

girlichef: lol.

Andrea: Yes, you should. lol.

Nutmeg: It's not as hard as you'd think.

Lori Lynn said...

Gotta love those little pillows of heaven.
LL

Pam said...

Yum. I could eat a big bowl right now.

Jenn said...

LL: I agree.

Pam: Me, too.

Mardi Michels said...

I am a little afraid of gnocchi too but maybe I will try - these ones turned out really great!

chow and chatter said...

i have some gnocchi this is the perfect recipe thanks jenn

OysterCulture said...

What a wonderful sounding recipe as usual so inspired

Jenn said...

Mardi: Give t a try.

CC: You're welcome.

Oyster: Thanks.

Sophia said...

I agree. With something as special and exciting as gnocchi, one should have a special sauce. Plain ol' tomato won't do! Looks amazing, and great colors!

theUngourmet said...

Your Gnocchi looks delicious! I've never tried to make it. Maybe someday! Gotta get my nerve up!

I agree with Donna. How do you find the time??? Do you have super powers? Are you holding out on us?

Jenn said...

Sophia: Thanks.

Ungourmet: Hehe...No super powers. I'm grateful that my line of work varies where I work from home or on a set.

pigpigscorner said...

Love gnocchi but have never tried making myself. Looks really good! yum yum

Jenn said...

pigpig: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger