Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grilled Cheese and Creamy Tomato Soup




What's more nostalgic than a good ol' fashioned grilled cheese sandwich and some creamy tomato soup. A perfect after school snack. I had seen a recipe from 30-minute meals. Click here Made some minor changes and was please with how it turned out. I used evaporated milk instead of heavy cream. A bit lower in calories and gives it a nice rich taste. For the grilled cheese, my choice of bread was sourdough. I love sourdough.



Grilled Cheese Sammie

2 slices of bread (your choice)
butter or margarine
swiss cheese slices
cheddar cheese slices

Preheat skillet on a medium fire. Butter the top sides of the bread. When the skillet is hot enough place one slice of bread butter-side down. Place a slice of swiss and chedder and top it off with the other piece of bread, butter-side up. Grill for 5-10min. Then flip and grill for another 5-10min. Cheese will be nice and melted with a crispy bread crust.

Makes 1 sandwich

Note: don't smush the sandwich when grilling.




Creamy Tomato Soup

1 can (15oz) Chicken or veggie broth
1 can (15oz) fire roasted diced tomato or crushed tomato or tomato sauce
1 8oz can evaporated milk
1 Tbsp Rosemary (optional)
salt
pepper


Combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

For the creamy texture, use an immersion blender to mush up the tomato to bits. If you don't have an immersion blender, you may mush the tomato beforehand in a regular blender or food processor before adding it to the stock. If you don't have either, tomato sauce will also make a good substitute.

Serves about 2-4 people


17 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

all apologies- I thought I had you in my reader and you had not updated recently- I was wrong....this soup and sandwich looks spectaculomundo

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a classic combo. When I grew up I did not care for tomato soup, and grilled cheese sandwiches were not at the top of my list, but now -its like, what the heck was I thinking !!!

Cate said...

Total comfort food.

Pam said...

This is one of my favorite comfort meals. The soup looks great and the bread you used on the sandwich is making me drool.

Unknown said...

yum!Simple bread and cheese yet super delicious.It's been a long time I didn't have tomato soup.

Jen Schall @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup is one of my all time favorites. They always seemed to have that at college whenever it snowed - it make the long walk in the cold worth it! Yours looks FAR better than anything they ever had at my college, though!

ces said...

thanks for sharing this now as i have no clue waht to feed my always hungry kids after school:)

Jenn said...

doggy: apology accepted. Welcome aboard my bog train. =)

oysterculture: Once you try it. you'll end up wanting more.

cate: I agree!

Pam: I love sourdough.

sweetiepie: The weather lately seems perfect for this.

jen: Whenever I couldn't think of anything to get from the cafeteria, I'd always take the grilled cheese and soup.

ces: It'll be a kid pleaser.

Reeni said...

Sourdough is perfect for grilled cheese, my favorite, too. I love your cheese combo!

Unknown said...

ay jenn...this looks so good! i never liked tomato until recently and now it's one of my favorite soups. your pix are awesome.

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks =)

jo: Thanks. I used to hate tomato to. but over time I began to enjoy it more and more.

Anonymous said...

This recipe almost makes me want to have a sick day just so I can snuggle up and have someone take care of me and serve me this fantastic soup.

Thanks Jenn!

Jenn said...

eric: Ah, sick days. I hate them, but I love the soups I get to eat.

Zriz said...

Oh yummy! I absolutely love sourdough bread with soups! I usually hallow out a sourdough bread and place the soup inside... :) Yum!

Jenn said...

zriz: Bread bowls are awesome!!

the wicked noodle said...

I love this combination - the ultimate in comfort food! It's going to rain all day tomorrow, and I just might have to make this for a cozy lunch!

Jenn said...

wicked noodle: This is certainly perfect for rainy days.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger