Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Shroomwich



I had bought some pre-sliced white mushrooms the other day from Whole Foods and wondered what I can make with them. I had some cheese and pan de sal (filipino bread). The easiest thing I could think of was a sandwich. Plus, I was pretty tired from the day. I only used half of the package and it made about two sandwiches.



Shroomwich



1/2 medium onion - sliced
2 cups sliced white mushroom - rough estimate (or any mushroom you prefer)
salt & pepper to season
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter or margarine
Swiss cheese slices
Bread of choice


In a saute pan, heat oil and melt butter on a medium to low. Sweat onions when butter is nearly melted. You'd want them to have a nice soft and floppy texture to them. Then add the mushrooms. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5.

Preheat oven to 350˚F and toast one slice of the bread for 5 min on a baking sheet or a piece of foil. When the bread is toasted, place a nice helping mushroom on it then a slice of swiss. Place back into the oven and toast the top piece of bread as well for 5-10 or until cheese is nice and melted.


14 comments:

Pam said...

Now that's my kind of sandwich! I love, love, love mushrooms.

Diana said...

Oooh! I've never tried mushrooms on a sandwich. I'll have to give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Simple and delish!

Jenn said...

pam: ;-p

diana: You won't be disappointed.

duosishes: Agreed!

Jen Schall @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look great! Sometimes I make burgers w/ slices of portobella mushrooms instead of meat - delish! Great recipe!

Tangled Noodle said...

This would totally hit the spot! Mmmm . . . pan de sal - I've got to make some (b/c no one here sells them).

Joie de vivre said...

I'm intrigued with the pan de sal. Did you make it yourself?

the wicked noodle said...

mmmmm...mushrooms...

vanillasugarblog said...

I would love this. Can we add a bit of marsala or white wine to this mixture? Mmmm.

Jenn said...

jen: portobellas... yum!

tangled noodle: I may have a decent recipe that could help. I'll let you know for sure when I make it.

joie: I bought it from the local filipino bakery here. I've yet to try to makde some for myself. I would love to though.

wicked noodle: mushrooms never fail to please.

dawn: definitely! marsala and white wine go well with this.

Christo Gonzales said...

you know I love mushrooms right?

Jenn said...

doggy: I did not know that, but now that I do, you'll have many more mushroom recipes to look forward to. =)

zerrin said...

I was just looking for something different with the mushrooms I bought yesterday. This one sounds so easy and creative. I always love the combination of mushroom and cheese. And I love the name of this shroomwiches.

Jenn said...

zerrin; I felt mushroom sandwich was just a long name to give it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger