Search Bread + Butter

Friday, April 10, 2009

Cream Cheese Mushroom Puffs



So here's what I did with the other half of those white sliced mushrooms I had bought a few days ago. I had another roll of the Pillsbury dough sheet in the fridge, so I figured why not a little party appetizers for a small group. You can also use puff pastry, if you can't find the flaky dough sheet. Some markets usually don't stock all products of a certain brand, which can be a headache sometimes.

I tried sealing them up like little dim sum dumplings, but the dough was being uncooperative with me that day. Some opened up during baking, some remained sealed. But I must admit, I liked how they turned out.

I may enter this into the Pillsbury bake-off competition along with the pesto pockets I'm working on. (Pesto Pockets) I've got a week to decide. This will roughly make 8-10 Depending how many squares you want to make. It's definitely flexible.


Cream Cheese Mushroom puffs.

2 oz cream cheese (around 4 Tbsp)
12 small white mushroom - diced (or which ever mushroom you prefer)
1/2 medium onion - diced
1 can Pillsbury Creations dough sheet or 1 sheet puff pastry
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Butter or margarine


In a saute pan, heat oil and melt butter on a medium to low. Sweat onions when butter is nearly melted. You'd want them to have a nice soft and floppy texture to them. Then add the mushrooms. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5min.

Place the mushrooms in a small bowl and add in the cream cheese. Mix to combine well. It'll make it into creamy mix.

Cut the dough sheet in 8 to 10 square pieces. Place a teaspoon of the mushroom mix at the center of each square. Bring the corners together and crimp the edges to seal.

Place the puffs on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15min or until crust is golden brown.


Eat one, you'll have to have another.




15 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

these are an excellent appetizer - I will be trying this over the weekend.

The Duo Dishes said...

Agreed. A great app here!

Patty said...

Oh - this is fabulous! I will definitely have to try this!

Zriz said...

Looks uber yummy! I love how they turned out too! :)

Unknown said...

Oh man - I wish my hubby wasn't mushroom-averse or we'd be having these this weekend! (Might have to make a batch for myself...)

Jenn said...

doggy: Cool. Let me know how yours turn out.

duo dishes: Thanks.

McTatty: You'll like these.

Zriz: Thank you.

ValleyWriter: Treat yourself to a mushroom snack

vanillasugarblog said...

I wanted to enter that contest too, but haven't narrowed it donw yet to anything they might like. I wonder how funky one can get without scaring them? LOL
Good luck with your entry! Happy Easter chicklet!

Joie de vivre said...

These look like perfect little appetizers. I'm having an appetizer party in a few weeks and will keep these in mind. Thanks!

Jenn said...

dawn: lol. I don't know. Doesn't hurt to try. Maybe the wilder the better. Happy Easter to you too.

joie: perfect timing!

alice said...

These look yummy. I tried something similar except I added spinach and scrambled eggs. I was trying to copy Starbucks version of a Spinach Mushroom Piadini. But I think I will do this next time with cream cheese, onions, and mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

nice and simple - doesn't get better. Plus mushrooms, in my mind you cannot go wrong.

Jenn said...

Alice: I may have had the starbucks one before.

Oyster Culture: The mushrooms are the it thing.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look great. I love mushrooms!
Have you entered anything in the Bake-Off before? I have thought about it but never get around to it. Probably too late this year... maybe next year!

Jenn said...

jen: This will actually be my first time to enter. You still have some time. Deadline is on April 20th. Give it a shot.

Tangled Noodle said...

Sometimes, the unexpected turns out to be a good thing! They look great opened up to reveal the cheesy, mushroom-y goodness inside. Good luck with the Pillsbury contest!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger