Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mushroom Avocado Quesadillas



I had an extra avocado, so I needed to do something with it. First thing that popped into my mind was a cheese quesadilla. But I didn't want to make guacamole out of it. That would have been a given. Though, as much as I love the dip form, I love more the freshly opened and eat with the spoon way.

This makes 2 quesadillas.



Mushroom Avocado Quesadillas

Whole Wheat Tortillas (6" sized)
Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
2 Large Portobello Mushroom caps (rough chopped)
1 medium sized tomato (diced)
1 ripe avocado (sliced)
1 Tbps Butter or margarine
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to season
Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese (optional)
Chopped cilantro (optional)


On medium heat, heat the oil and melt the butter. Once the oil is heated toss in the portabello slices. Cook them until tender and darker in color. Season with some salt and pepper.

Sandwich the cheese between two tortillas and in another pan (medium to high) heat the tortillas until the cheese is melted.

It'll take roughly 3-5 minutes for the cheese to melt and the tortilla to get slightly crisp. Flip the quesadilla and heat the other side for another 3-5 min.

Remove from the skillet and open the quesadilla. Add in the some of the portabellos, tomato, avocado and some of the optional cilantro.

Serve with a side of sour cream.

Note: Toss the avocado with some lemon juice to keep it from instantly turning brown.

27 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

is that a new loaf header...looks good...and NOW I really need to find some nice avocados - they can be pricey here in NYC....

zerrin said...

Jenn you really know what to do with mushrooms and avocado. I love the idea to make a sandwich like that. I don't know much dishes with avocado as it's not so common here. But this one sounds great! And thanks for the last tip about using lemon while chopping the avocado.

Reeni said...

What a nice snack or lunch this would make. You took the quesadilla to a whole new level!

Jenn said...

doggy: Yup. A new loaf header. Took the pic myself.

zerrin: No Problem. Sometimes I'll just have an avocado sandwich.

Reeni: Thanks!

teresa said...

These look incredible. What a great combination!

Zeee said...

Wow! Looks absolutely yummy Jenn! :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm making brie & chutney quesadillas, (partially because of Dog and his brie earlier) but my quesadillas are very camera shy tonight and I have a hungry hubby who cannot wait for photos to be done.
Your photos came out great. And by the looks of things it appears you devoured this. Good! lol

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Hmmmm-another 'must try' recipe :)

Jenn said...

teresa: Thanks!

Z'riz: it is very yummy!

Dawn: Brie & Chutney!! yum!! I devour it until there were no crumbs left.

Sweta: It's definitely a "must try".

Daily Spud said...

Love avocados, though it can be tricky to get nice ones here, and I'm all for introducing avocado to some nice mushrooms and cheese :)

Jenn said...

Daily Spud: You snuck up the last minute there. =) One of the nice things about Southern California is the abundance of avocados.

chow and chatter said...

wow so easy and tasty will definately make this thanks

Heather S-G said...

Yum, love quesadillas...don't think I've ever put mushrooms in them (!!??)...avocados I definitely always use, though! :P

Justin said...

Jenn, these look really good, my kind of food

Astra Libris said...

Mmmm, such a wonderful combo, mushrooms and avocado... Especially in a quesadilla! Gorgeous!

Jenn said...

chow and chatter: yup. comfort food with a twist.

girlichef: give it try. =)

Justin: Thanks. It's my kind of food too.

Astra Libris: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a beautiful combination much like bread + butter. We just got avocados from the CSA so now I must run down the street for the portablellos.

Tangled Noodle said...

I was perfectly content with plain old quesadillas but now you had to go and throw in some amazing avocado and marvelous mushrooms . . . You certainly know how to rock the boat!

Jenn said...

Oyster Culture: Very true!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: I'm glad I was able to change your mind. lol.

Anonymous said...

This almost makes me crave avocadoes, though I don't care much for them. They actually look pretty good stuffed into a quesadilla with mushrooms! yum!

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms and especially avocados sound awesome n a quesadilla! Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. That looks amazing.


Eric

Jenn said...

sophie: thanks.

burpandslurp: Just almost?? LOL.

5 Star Foodie: They are awesome!

eric: thanks.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look fabulous! I really love avocado... pairing it with the portobello mushroom sounds delicious!

Jenn said...

Jen: It's very delish! =)

www.muebles-en-majadahonda.com said...

It won't succeed as a matter of fact, that's exactly what I think.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger