Search Bread + Butter

Friday, April 17, 2009

Triple Berry Mint Sorbet

Course #4 - Dessert: Part Deux

The after-after party. This is where everything begins to calm down.

To finish off the filling meal, I wanted something a little light and refreshing. The only thing that came to mind was a simple sorbet. I made this the day before using frozen fruit (strawberries, rasberries, blackberries). Fresh ones would do as well.



Triple Berry Mint Sorbet

Simple Syrup:
2c water
1c sugar

12oz fresh berries or 1 small bag frozen Mixed Berries
2 Tbsp Mint (rough chopped)
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice

In a saucepan, heat the water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat and let it cool completely.

In a food process or blender pulverize the fruit into a near slush. Add in lemon juice and mint. Blend thoroughly. Slowly add in the simple syrup mixture and mix well once again. Pour into a large enough container and place into the freezer. Let it set for at least 4-5 hours. Stir every few hours to keep from hardening too much. If it does become to hard, place it into the fridge for 15 min. Then Serve.

Garnish with some fruit and mint leaves. It's got a nice slush/smooth texture to it with a subtle minty fresh flavor. This is perfect on a hot day.

If you've got an ice cream maker, go ahead and use it for this, too.


26 comments:

Jescel said...

this sorbet looks so refreshing.. i just made a gelato.. maybe my next one would be this :o)

Jenn said...

Jescel: It is refreshing with the mint. I'd love to try making gelato one time.

Christo Gonzales said...

what a great looking and great sounding sorbet - I am noticing a flood of delicious sorbets with yours included - granita/sorbet here we come!

The Duo Dishes said...

A happy welcome to spring with this one.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Looks very, very good - I love fresh, light desserts in the spring and summer.

Have you tried making this in an ice cream churn? I have one that I don't use real often, but I would think that this would turn out great!

Dewi said...

Will keep this in mind, my blackberries is starting to have those tiny berries. Will be ready in summer. Love the addition of the mints there Jenn. It'll be more refreshing. Delicious!
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

Today is the first warm day here and this sounds just perfectly refreshing right now!

Jenn said...

doggy: I guess it's just the right type of season. Plus the weather is slightly getting warmer too.

Duo Dishes: Yes it is!

Jen: I don't have an ice cream churn, I would love to have one. It'll make this recipe go a lot faster rather than waiting.

Elra: Get ready for some deliciousness. =)

5 Star Foodie: Perfect!!

vanillasugarblog said...

you have an ice cream maker? Oh man. I can't wait to try making double chocolate PB ice cream. One of my all-time summer obsessions is going from ice cream stand to other stands and finding the best ice cream. I love gelato too, and am finally getting into good or well made sorbets.

Jenn said...

Dawn: I wish I had an ice cream machine. I made this the old fashioned way. Put it in the freezer and fix it every-so-often. An ice cream is next on my list of things to buy along with a bread maker.

Anonymous said...

I just saw the title and it looked so refreshing perfect now that the weather is warming up

Reeni said...

It's so pretty and I bet it was even more delicious than it looks! I like that you didn't use an ice-cream maker, because I don't have one either, I will have to try this!

alice said...

Jenn, this looks so refreshing.. wishing I had some tonight!

Jenn said...

oyseter culture: it's a warm weather treat.

Reeni: I'm an old fashioned kind of gal. =)

alice: It's really easy to make. Why not, right?

Phyllis said...

YUM - I love mint! And finally, a recipe that doesn't require an ice cream maker (I have an antique side by side fridge that has very limited freezer space). Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

finally! a recipe for sorbet that doesn't require an ice-cream maker! my brother will LOVE this!

Jenn said...

Sophie: Thanks.

Phyllis: Who needs ice cream makers, right?

burpandslurp: It's pretty easy to make. it's just the waiting that takes a while. Hope your brother enjoys this recipe.

Tangled Noodle said...

So bright and so cool! Just looking at your pics makes me smile!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: Thanks.

Caitlin said...

This looks delicious (I guess great minds think alike *wink wink)! So do you leave the seeds in the sorbet? Probably healthier fiber-wise, but how does is the texture?

Jenn said...

Caitlin: I did leave the seeds in. As for the texture, it was creamy-slush consistency.

Anonymous said...

This sounds great! I like to make something similar, but mine is more of a shortcut recipe. I like to macerate strawberries in some lemon and mint, then spoon the mix over mango sorbet. Yours looks so much more fresh and appealing!

Jenn said...

haleysuzanne: Thanks. Mango sorbet sounds really good right about now. Thanks for stopping by.

curiousdomestic said...

That looks so good. I'm looking forward to making lots of freezer treats this summer.

Jenn said...

curiousdomestic: Just in time!!

www.palencia-3d.com said...

This won't actually have success, I think so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger