Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sweet Potato Cakes

Course #2 - The Appetizer

This is a little something my mom had made up. The first time I tried it, I was bit hesitant, but I ended up liking it so much that I decided to add it to our meal. You'd think it's a cake or cookie or some other baked goodie, yet it's a sweet potato and a handy snack as well.




Sweet Potato Cakes

1 large white sweet potato
1/4 c sugar
2 Tbsp Butter
2 c Panko crumbs

Preheat oven 350˚F

Cut the sweet potato into medium portions and place into a large pot. Add in enough water, just enough to cover it and bring to a boil. When the water is boiling turn down the heat and let it simmer for roughly 15 min or until fully cooked. It's like making mashed potatoes. To test if the potato is done, poke it with a fork or knife and it should easily pierce through with no little to no resistance.

When the potatoes are ready, dump the water out and let cool for 5-10 min.

Remove the skins then mash the the potato. You may use a food processor or potato ricer. Add in the sugar and butter. Mix thoroughly. Next divide into 6 equal portions and shape into palm-sized cookie forms.

Then coat the potato cookies with the panko crumbs. Place on baking sheet.

Bake for roughly 45 min or until of a golden hash-brown color.

It will have a nice crispy crust and soft chewy center.


23 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Nothing like a sweet potato to start the day.

Christo Gonzales said...

these look good - they look like they could be a component in some kind of napoleon

Sophie said...

These sound so good. I just tried baked sweet potatoes for the first time this weekend, and I think I'd love these! I would love to share this recipe with our readers; you can email me at sophie@keyingredient.com if you're interested :).

Jenn said...

duo dishes: That's right. =)

doggy: They could be. I'll take that into consideration.

Sophie: They're much better than a regular potato, too.

Unknown said...

Mmm - looks great. I love sweet potatoes!

Ozge said...

Crispy on the outside as you bite... just sounds deliciously inviting! Being the yogurt fan I am, I'd probably prepare some yogurt dip to go along I think.. or crave at the moment!

Anonymous said...

These cakes sound excellent - my family would love these for sure!

Jenn said...

ValleyWriter: Sweet potatoes will always be a crowd-pleaser.

Ozge: Yogurt dip sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll experiment with that idea when I make these cakes again.

Natasha: Nice to have you back. You've been missed in the food world.

the wicked noodle said...

My husband will love these! On the grocery list!

zerrin said...

This sounds like a perfect snack! I think I can make two versions, with sugar and with salt. I'm sure both will be our favorite.

Screamin' Mama said...

OooOOooo that looks yummy!! I love sweet potato.

Joie de vivre said...

White sweet potato? How interesting.

Jenn said...

wicked noodle: =)

Zerrin: Oooo...salt. I gotta try that one.

Screamin' Mama: Thanks.

Joie: Yup. The orange variety is the most well know, but there are white ones.

Tangled Noodle said...

Crunchy, crispy, buttery-sweet baked mashed sweet potatoes? Did I get that right? I'm in heaven!

Reeni said...

These look delicious! I love that their baked rather than fried.

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: Yup. You're correct.

Reeni: Thanks.

L said...

I loveeee sweet potatoes! I've never seen white sweet potatoes before though? Only orange and purple.

Anonymous said...

sweet potatoes are my fav! I eat 1 lb of them at least each day. what a great way to eat them, all crunchy!

Pam said...

Yum. I've never had something like this, they look AWESOME. I love sweet potatoes.

Jenn said...

I bake for you: The white ones aren't as popular as the other two.

burpandslurp: That's a lot os sweet potatoes. =)

pam: Give em' a try.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Finally catching up on the posts from my RSS reader this week, and I came across this one - these look wonderful! I love sweet potatoes. Great recipe!

Justin said...

this is really interesting, but so simple. i'll have to try it.

Jenn said...

Jen: Thanks.

Justin: It's like an afternoon snack.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger