Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Banananana Nut Bread



No, I didn't misspell banana. You read the title right. Added a couple extra syllables there at the end. I was reading a few recent posts on my fellow foodie blogs and happened to come across doggybloggy's (ChezWhat?) post on Banana Nut Bread. That got me craving for some. I didn't want to go and buy a loaf or a single muffin that costs four or five bucks. I didn't want to eat dinner rolls again. I had some extra time and the ingredients, so I made some for myself and my mom. Depending if I don't devour it first.

I love bananas and you already know my love for breads. I used a 6-inch round cake pan as I didn't have a loaf pan when I made this. (I do now.) So it looks more like a cake with a dome. I love the texture of the innards in the picture below. It has a nice firm crust and a spongy center.

A lot of the recipes I've seen contain the same ingredients. This is very simple and super easy to make. No need for complicated equipment or special ingredients. The only difficult part is waiting for it to bake. But as they say, patience is virtue. You can change it up a notch by adding different nuts, dried fruits, chocolate chips, cinnamon, etc. Make it your own. It's all easy-peasy!

This recipe below will make about two loaves or one loaf and some muffins or just muffins. Your choice.

1 cup unsalted butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soda
4 cups flour
6 large bananas, very ripe, mashed
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Cream together butter and sugar. (Combining them into one mushy blob)

Add in the other ingredients once that is done. Mix well and place mixture into a greased loaf pan.

Bake for 1h 15min in a preheated 325˚ oven or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10min, remove from loaf pan and enjoy.

The best way to slice into a loaf of bread is to use a bread knife. If you don't have one, a knife with a serrated edge would do. This'll keep you bread from getting squished while you're slicing. Finally, spread some butter, jam or eat it alone. Whatever way you like, this bread is oh-so nutritious and delicious!!!


8 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

oh wow...I love the shape of that loaf...well done - it looks great!

Screamin' Mama said...

Yummm...I love bananananana bread too! My son is allergic to nuts but I looOoooove nuts in my banana bread. It looks fabulous!

Jenn said...

doggybloggy: Thanks! =)

Screamin' Mama: With or without the nuts, it's still delish.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Love the picture. I bet it's just so delicious! Yum!

vanillasugarblog said...

I just made some banana bread too! everyone's making it these days! LOL
Love the funky shape!

Jenn said...

Dawn: I think it's just seems like the right type of season for this type of bread. Either way, it's good all year round.

Tangled Noodle said...

What a great idea to use a round pan for a delicious recipe!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: It was the only thing I had at the time. But I like it.

Sophie: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger