Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Garlic Shrimp & Crab

Last May, I traveled to the Philippines to visit family and the day before we left to return to the States, we had a big family dinner at this restaurant (I think it's called Seafood 88 or something like that) near my cousin's law office. It was a nice sort-of upscale type restaurant. You can bring in your own meats and seafood and they'll cook it anyway you'd like. Two of the dishes that really stuck with me that night was the delicious crab and shrimp.

The crab was boiled to perfection and the shrimp was not rubbery at all. You could actually bite into it without having to fight it. Both were tossed in a garlic sauce that was made some spices (cumin maybe? or a touch of cayenne) and a hint chili peppers. So it had some heat to it, but not so much to make your mouth feel like it's on fire. It was just the right amount, where it gives you a little kick and you go. "Oh, where did that come from? I like it" No milk needed afterwards. The bright red color in the photos below are how they actually looked when they served it. My mom, who usually stays away from any kind of spicy food, ate and loved it.

To this day I can't forget those dishes. I've been trying to find a places that can match up to that, but no luck. If anyone can suggest otherwise, I'm all for it.

Me, being so hungry that night, totally forgot to take some photos, but as it just so happens that my cousin took a couple of shots of the dishes before everyone devoured it. Just looking at them makes my mouth water. How could you not resist those?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the food looks amazing - thanks and I feel for you with that description, I get the same way about some of the incredible stuff I eat. I also forget to take the great shots until I am halfway into my meal. Here, near SF there is Daley City which has a large Filipno population so they might have some food that comes close.

Jenn said...

I've been wanting to make a trip up to SF. Haven't been there in years. I know a couple of people who live up in Daly City. Maybe I' can have them prowl around to see if there are any viable candidates that come close.

Anonymous said...

This food looks AMAZING!! I wish I'd been there!

Anonymous said...

shrimp and crabs---just can't resist them! especially if slathered with garlic! looks yummy!

Maggie said...

The spicy looking sauce does make them look irresistible!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger