Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pesto & Spinach Pockets

I'm been thinking about entering the Pillsbury Bake-Off this year. Either in the appetizer or dinner category. Been doing a little trial and error in making a really simple and easy recipe.

My Pillsbury product of choice: The Creations Flaky Dough Sheet. So I made two creations for dinner the other night. One was with pesto with fresh tomato and another was a spinach with feta. It's best to have a food processor for this.

Fresh out of the oven!






Pesto
1 package or bundle fresh basil
2 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
1/2 cup pine nuts (about two handful)
1/3 c EVOO (you may add more to your liking)
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste.

A few tomato and swiss cheese slices to put in the dough with the pesto.

Place all pesto ingredients in a food processor and grind well into a paste like consistency. The measurements are not approximations. I usually eye-ball it whenever I make this.


Spinach with feta
1 small package of frozen spinach (defrosted and drained)
1 small package feta cheese.

Crumble feta into spinach and mix together. Since the feta is already a salty type of cheese I just added a pinch of pepper to the mix.

I divided the dough into four and made two of each. Place a nice dollop on one side of the dough then fold over the other half and crimp edges to seal.


Baked it for 15-20 minutes or until the dough was a nice golden brown. Voila! Serve immediately. Eat it with a fork or pick it up with your hand.

Presto Pesto!



Mmmm... Spinach



I had a little bit of pesto and tomato slices left over and made little ritz cracker appetizer. haha...




I'm still fine tuning these, so this isn't the final recipe. Though, it's a start.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who needs baguette. Spread your pesto on a cracker. Or in yummy pastry dough! Both look good.

Anonymous said...

I just forwarded this recipe to my sister. What a great recipe!

Eric

Nate @ House of Annie said...

The pesto and tomato one sounds good, but if you're using out of season tomatoes, you won't get the full flavor. How about using some chopped up sun dried tomatoes instead?

Thanks for adding us as friends on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

Tangled Noodle said...

These look so good! I hope you do enter these.

Jenn said...

@Nate-n-Annie: Ya I thought about sun dried tomatoes after I had made this. I gotta try that next time i back this.

@Tangled Noodle: Thanks. I got a couple of week to finalize the recipe. I really do hope to enter the contest.

Ozge said...

I like the pockets! Pesto, mmm.

Jenn said...

ozge: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger