Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Deep-Fried Oreos = Chewy Deliciousness

The sheer thought of deep drying a batter-covered oreo like you do poultry or seafood was a strange idea to me and still is. I had my first taste of this at the Los Angeles County Fair. I was hesitant as I love oreos with a nice glass of milk. I thought to myself, "how can they desecrate such an iconic cookie?! How?!?" But I'm not biased. I give equal opportunity to all food-kind. It was either that or the twinkie. The hostess treat that can last for 20 years. If ever there was a food shortage, go for a twinkie.

I get an order from one of the food stalls that sell the dessert in question. It was still hot and fresh from the fryer. Drizzled with chocolate syrup, sprinkles and some powdered sugar. I pick one up and take my first bite. All I could say way "Whoever invented this concoction, I love you!!" The crisp batter turned the oreo like a soft cake. My taste buds danced with delight as I shoved the other half into my mouth for more chewy deliciousness. It was nice, surprisingly moist and chewy. Probably one of the more decadent treats I've ever eaten. It's one of those you'd put in the "heart-clogging, but so good" category. I'd definitely eat this again.

I'm still waiting to try the deep-fried snickers bar, which I hear is pretty delish as well.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try these! I never would have guessed that the cookie itself got soft, but that makes me want to try these even more!

Jenn said...

I was surprised myself when I took the first bite. When you get the chance to go to some carnival or fair, look up any food station that may have it.

Anonymous said...

We got some of those last year at the Texas State Fair and they were really good. Evil, but really good.

chow and chatter said...

in Scotland they deep fry mars bars and pizza he he i grew up there, neat blog

Jenn said...

Ooo... deep-fried pizza. Gotta try that someday.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jenn!! I Love Spinach, This looks so yum! Thank for sharing

curiousdomestic said...

I tried my first deep fried oreo at a local fair. I don't think I'll need to have them again. I like the deep fried snickers bar better.

Sugared Ellipses... said...

Why is it that state fairs seem to kindle the, "Let's see if we can fry that" desire? I don't remember oreos at the Florida state fair, but I do remember the snickers bars. Something kind of snapped in my brain when I saw it. I couldn't bring myself to get one, but I couldn't pass up a funnel cake. I guess I'm not that adventurous. The oreos though...I think I might have to try that at home.

Jenn said...

Sugar Ellipses: I guess a lot of people tend to think. The fried way is a good way. I don't know. But it was pretty good. Though it's one of those you'll have to eat once a year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger