Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, April 26, 2009

10 Fun Food Facts of the Day

It's time for another round of 10 fun food facts of the day. I love these. Enjoy!!


One -

The first soup was made of hippopotamus. The earliest archeological evidence for the consumption of soup dates back to 6000 BC and it was hippopotamus soup!

(Ummm...I wonder how that would taste like!!)


Two -
.007 calories are consumed while licking a stamp.

(Good thing I moved to using the sticker kind.)



Three -

Banana trees are not actually trees - they are giant herbs.


Four -

7-Up - invented in 1920 contained Lithium - the drug commonly prescribed now to sufferers of bi-polar disorder.

(Isn't that an ingredient for making batteries, too?)


Five -
The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten.

(I just had to add a chocolate fact to appease my craving.)


Six -
Coca-Cola was originally green.


Seven -
In the 1950’s a McDonald’s hamburger, fries, and coke had about 600 calories. Today you can get a quarter-pounder, super-sized fries, and a 42 oz coke along with 1550 calories

(I wanted to comment, but I couldn't think of anything)


Eight -
California's Frank Epperson invented the Popsicle in 1905 when he was 11-years-old

(Let's all give thanks to the man who gave us a beloved summertime treat.)


Nine -
Large doses of coffee can be lethal. Ten grams, or 100 cups over 4 hours, can kill the average human.


Ten -
The hamburger was invented in 1900 by Louis Lassen. He ground beef, broiled it, and served it between two pieces of toast

(Anyone heard of Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT. That's the place where it all began and it's still served the same way. Oh, if you go there...don't ever ask for ketchup in your burger. It's frowned upon. Seriously.)




Resources:
http://listverse.com/health/top-10-incredible-food-facts/
http://listverse.com/food/another-10-fascinating-food-facts/
http://www.nms.on.ca/Elementary/fun_food_facts.htm
http://learnsomethingnewtoday.us/2008/01/09/fun-food-facts/
http://www.bitoffun.com/fun_facts_food.htm

36 comments:

Justin said...

kind of surprising about chocolate candy -- i figured that would have been a lot earlier. hippo soup does not sound good.

Astra Libris said...

Such absolutely fascinating food facts! I had no idea Coca-Cola was originally green, and now, I too am glad that I use the pre-stickered stamps! :-)

teresa said...

This was so fun, I love stuff like this! It's too bad we still can't get a 600cal meal at McD's!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

:)
Made my Sunday morning!

Dewi said...

JENN My dear, this post really wake me up, I had so much fun reading it. You are clever posting this on the week end. So fun!
one: it probably taste like leather!
two: yikes
three: really, who would have thought?
four: no kidding! creepy!
five: when I was growing up in Indonesia, having Van Houten chocolate would make you feel like the fanciest kid on the block.
six: eeeeewwwww!
seven: ?
eight: what a genius!
nine: that make sense, my heart pulse rapidly if I have a second cup.
ten: can't imagine boiled ground beef, unless boil in a sauce, like tomato sauce...

FUN FUN FUN JENN!
Cheers,
elra

Jenn said...

Justin: Hippo soup. Not so appetizing.

Astra Libris: All those years of lick stamps I was gaining a miniscule calorie.

teresa: Ya that would be nice to have the 600cal meal back.

Sweta: Glad to make you Sunday brighter.

Elra: I'm all for fun with food on all aspects.

Heather S-G said...

Very cool! I love to learn foodie facts :) Thanks!

...and I am also glad I use the sticky stamps...course I never liked licking them anyway, I always wetted my finger and rubbed it on...tee hee

chow and chatter said...

what a fun post I am putting a link on my blog to yours love it Rebecca

Lori Lynn said...

That was fun!
LL

vanillasugarblog said...

you know having a little bit of lithium in our sodas is not such a bad idea, I mean there are a lot of people that need a little happy pill every now and again, yes? LOL

Tangled Noodle said...

There are a lot of people for whom #4 confirms that soda is nothing less than battery acid! As for coffee, two cups is enough to get me wired but 100?! Way too much of a good thing. Fun list!

Jenn said...

girlichef: I used to do the wet the fing approach when it cane those stamps, too.

Rebecca: Thanks. Appreciate it.

LL: Glad you enjoyed it.

Dawn: True. There are some who could use a little peppy juice every now and again.

Tangled Noodle: I can barely finish 1 cup let alone 100. lol.

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! I didn't know most of these!

Christo Gonzales said...

I am dying to go to louis lunch...

Jenn said...

5 star foodie: amazing about the stuff we don't know about our fav foods.

doggy: I'm with you on that!!

Ozge said...

Thanks Jenn!

Jenn said...

Ozge: You squeezed right by there. =) You're welcome!

Anonymous said...

A fun read - I learned a lot which I cannot wait to use on folks

Jenn said...

OysterCulture: You'll amaze your friends.

Anonymous said...

LOL!
Great facts!
Now, is pineapple a fruit, bamboo a tree and baguette French?
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Reeni said...

What interesting stuff. McDonalds's, that's just about all my calories for the entire day in a meal. Hippo soup-how funny-and ewww!!! They look like they have some tough meat, but I think their vegetarians, so that's a plus!

Julie said...

Interesting. The one about banana trees shocked me.

Jenn said...

Robert-Gilles: All three are a 'yes'. lol

Reeni: Ya one meal at McD's and it's over. Does that mean hippo meat is less in fat? But they're so big. LOL.

Julie: Who knew herbs can grow that big. =)

Zriz said...

Ahhhh I had to do a double take on the hippo soup! LMAO

Patty said...

Hippo soup! HA! I never would've thought of that! I love foodie facts - they're so great!

Pam said...

I love these facts. I can't believe coke was green - yuck.

Jenn said...

Z'riz: lol.

McTatty: Imagine how much soup one hippo will make!

Pam: Good thing they decided to change the color.

Diana said...

I can't believe coke was originally green! Crazy!

Thanks for sharing those -- that was fun to read! :)

tavolini said...

Very interesting!!

Okay--my Dad told me the first time he went to McDonald's (in Minneapolis, a six hour drive from his farming community hometown) he ate 6 burgers, along with the fries and coke. I was astounded!!

He actually said they were bigger back then...

Jenn said...

TavoLini: That's funny. Bigger burgers, less calories. Maybe the meat back then was more "normal" than today's meat. That's just a hypothetical guess.

the wicked noodle said...

What a fun post! The McD's fact is pretty disgusting - yet I'm hungry and it still sounds tempting (head hung in shame)...

Jenn said...

Wicked Noodle: I'm with you on that.

ces said...

cool facts!:) i must go down New Haven when i go to CT again for that joint!:)

Jenn said...

ces: Thanks.

www.salamanca-3d.com said...

I found a lot of worthwhile info here!

Anonymous said...

Coke wasn't Green - http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/rumours/was-coca-cola-originally-green.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger