Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Puff Egg Sammies



Dish #2 of a 4-part meal.

I had finally found some puff pastry in my local grocery. Whenever I went, there didn't seem to be any in the freezer section. That and ladyfingers. But on one trip there was. Woo...

Anyway...puff pastry usually comes tri-folded, so it will be easy in dividing these. One sheet will make about 9 sammies. Cut along the folds making 3 strips. Then divide each strip into 3 squares.

The recipe below will make about 4 sammies.


Puff Pillows

4 3"puff pastry squares
1/2 tsp butter or margarine (melted)

Preheat oven 325˚F

Place the 4 squares of pastry puff on a baking sheet with either a silpat or parchment paper. Lightly butter each square evenly on the top and bake for about 10 min. This will make the puff up into pillows.

When done, remove from oven and let cool. Slice the pillows in half. Don't put too much force when slicing them as they will flatten easily. They'll look like beignets in shape and the inside should look almost hollow.



Scrambled Egg


4 eggs (scrambled)
1/2 c mild shredded cheddar (I use Sargento)
1/8 tsp salt (literally a tiny pinch)

Heat a pan with a little drizzle of oil. Place the cheddar cheese and salt in the eggs and mix. Once the pan is well heated pour in the egg mixture. It will cook pretty quick, so stir and scrap constantly until egg is fully cooked and cheese is nicely blended in. (You may mix in herbs, spices or other ingredients to your liking)


Putting it all together: Take the bottom of the puff pillow and spread some mayo or your choice of sandwich spread. I use my own special spread made from a yellow mustard base. Then place a nice helping of scrambled egg on each. Top it off with the other half of the puff pillow.


These are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. No need for egg mcmuffins. Not that I liked those anyway. Enjoy!


21 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

I have some puff pastry in the freezer right now that I haven't known what to do with. This is a great idea!

vanillasugarblog said...

you're a cooking machine! always a new post over here.
well, anywho, these are right up my alley as I love puff pastry, especially for breakfast. oh yeah

Daily Spud said...

What an excellent idea for brekkie - I like it!

Jenn said...

Joie de vivre: I was the same way also. I just wanted to crisp them up, but it turned out cooler than I thought.

Dawn: lol, thanks. There's more to come. =)

Daily Spud: Thanks.

julie said...

That looks yummy and since we had some cheese puffs yesterday and I think I want to have these again :D

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with puff pastries! Great idea!

Eric

Anonymous said...

I echo what's been said - what a great simple idea. I love it and can't wait to try some - my mind is already buzzing with ideas.

Jenn said...

julie: cheese puffs, yum!!

eric: Thanks!

oysterculture: I have one more sheet in my freezer. I'm trying to think what other ideas I can come up with too.

Lynn said...

I never liked egg mcmuffins too. But these puffs look really tasty!

Anonymous said...

Perfectly delightful breakfast!

Tangled Noodle said...

Buttery and egg-y delights!

Jenn said...

lynn: Beats having eggs with regular toast!

5 Star Foodie: They are indeed!!

Tangled Noodle: Butter and egg. Can't go wrong with that.

Zriz said...

WOAH! those are heavenly sammies! I'll prolly try this one out! This definitely looks yummy!

Jenn said...

Zriz: Thanks. You won't be disappointed. =)

ces said...

now i know what to do with my left over puff pastries!:)

Jenn said...

ces: Bring those puff pastries to life. =)

tavolini said...

smart! I like the square puffs, too.

Jenn said...

Tavolini: Thanks. It's a change from the conventional circle.

Christo Gonzales said...

decadence in a puff....

Jenn said...

doggy: You got that right.

bloguay.com/mueblesmadrid121 said...

Goodness, there's a great deal of useful info in this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger