Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Peep S'mores




Easter. Bunnies. Chocolate. Eggs. One of my favorite things about this time of season is the abundance of Peeps. These little marshmallow goodies covered in a sugar coating of the classic yellow, pink, purple or blue. Here's a fun way to take a classic campfire snack and give it a little flair for the Easter holiday. It's a nice treat for the kiddies, too.

I ended up getting a bit of a sugar high after eating a few of them. But they were soooo good. The chocolate oozing from the side. Besides, it's only once a year and I've been good on my Lenten sacrifices. I had tried heating the marshmallows in the oven, but it took long and burnt the graham cracker underneath. I didn't want to do the conventional way by heating them over a fire. I still wanted to keep the sugar coating of the peep in tact. My only other option was the microwave. The peep gets hot enough that when you place the chocolate on top, it instantly begins to melt.

It's finger-lickin' good!





Peep S'mores


Peeps (any color/bird or rabbit)
Hershey's milk chocolate bar (divided into squares)
Honey Graham Cracker (halved)


Take one half of the graham cracker and place a peep on top.

Microwave for 20 seconds in two 10-second intervals. The peep will puff up like a balloon, but won't explode.

Remove the microwave and add a nice chunk of chocolate on top then place the other half of the graham cracker. The heat from peep will instantly melt the chocolate into liquid goo.

Then enjoy.

Warning: This snack will get messy, so have plenty of napkins on hand.


24 comments:

zerrin said...

These snacks seem perfect friends for a cup of tea. I love them. Yum! And I think I wouldn't prefer napkins, I just hold my palms under it and then lick my fingers.lol.

Lori Lynn said...

What a cute idea.

Happy Easter Jenn!
LL

Mel @ bouchonfor2.com said...

I'm surprised I haven't seen this done yet :) Love it!

I'm glad I found your blog :) You gave me something new to follow. I look forward to future posts!

Love, Mel at bouchonfor2.com

Daily Spud said...

Them's pure genius! :)

vanillasugarblog said...

ha ha love that!

Ozge said...

Jenn, it seems we're both craving for sweets today! I made a dessert myself.

Jenn said...

zerrin: you may need a napkins to wipe off the chocolate you'll get around your mouth.

Lori: Thanks. happy Easter to you too.

Mel: Thanks for stopping by. I just thought of it on a whim, so I thought why not.

Daily Spud: ;-P

Dawn: Thanks.

Ozge: My sweet tooth is always active. Can't wait to see what you made.

Zriz said...

never heard of a Peep before but that looks uber yummy Miss Jenn!

Happy Easter!

Christo Gonzales said...

this is probably the only way I would eat a peep....

Joie de vivre said...

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for posting it! (Was it my subtle harassment?) :) I just got a package of peeps for Easter today. I'm curious to see them puff up in the microwave!

Jenn said...

Zriz: Happy Easter to you, too.

doggy: They tend to get boring if you eat them alone. Where's the fun in that?

joie: I gave in to the pressure. lol. Have fun making them. =)

Reeni said...

How clever! I feel the same way as doggy- they would actually get eaten this way.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Wow - those look delicious! I'm just glad you didn't roast them on a stick... That would seems sort of cruel!

Great recipe idea!

Anonymous said...

This has changed my opinion on peeps. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy as many peeps I can find. Hello summer camping fires, meet your new friend.

Thanks again Jenn!!!

Eric

Jenn said...

Reeni: Definitely. At least now those poor little peeps won't go to waste.

Jen: lol. I wouldn't do that. I ove the little things.

Eric: Campfires will never be the same.

Pam said...

How cute, creative and tasty. I know what we are doing with all the peeps my kids got yesterday.

Jenn said...

pam: Have fun making them. ;-P

Kim -@ the Paper Apron said...

This is really cute! My husband loves peeps, so we always have a bunch of these chicks around the house this time of year. And it's turned oddly cold- we were just saying we should build a fire. Maybe tomorrow night and we'll try peep s'mores!

Jenn said...

kim: Perfect then. Enjoy making them.

Red Ribbon Bakeshop said...

hmmm..looks yummy!Whoah i want to try this one.


-Ava

Jenn said...

Red Ribbon: Go for it! Btw...I love the mocha cakes.

Kim -@ the Paper Apron said...

My husband ate all his peeps!! I'm going to see if they have any left in the 1/2 off bin at the store. But if they don't, the way my memory works, I'm just worried I will forget this next year at peeps time!(Maybe you can remind us next Easter.) ;) This really was soooooo cute.

Jenn said...

kim: No worries. I'll be sure to mention this again next year. =)

www.navarra-3d.com said...

Thank you for the article, very useful piece of writing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger