Search Bread + Butter

Friday, April 24, 2009

Baked Zucchini Sticks & Coins


You know fried zucchini, right?? Well, meet its better looking cousin, baked zucchini. The crispity-crunchity crust and the soft veggie inside, no need to feel guilty after eating these.

For the marinara sauce, I omitted the onions from my original recipe as seen in my eggplant parmesan and added two teaspoons of sugar to give it a little sweetness.



Baked Zucchini Shticks

2 Large zucchinis (peeled)

3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
2 Eggs
1/3 milk
2 c Panko Crumbs
1 c Grated Parmesan

Preheat oven 400˚F

Have 3 separate dishes: One with the all-purpose flour. Second with the eggs and milk. Beat together. Third one with the panko and parmesan mixed. Set aide.

Cut the zucchini in either 1/2" thick sticks or in 1/4" thick coins. Lightly dust the pieces in all-purpose flour, then soak it into the egg mixture, finally covering it in the panko mix. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or oven safe pan.

Baked for 30 min. Half way through give the zucchinis a quick turn or flip to let the other side crisp up.


Marinara Sauce:

1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 medium-sized tomato (diced and slightly mashed)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 tsp dry basil
1 tsp dry parsley
1 tsp dry oregano
2 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper

In a sauce pan, heat some extra virgin olive oil and saute the garlic. Then add in diced tomatoes and stir letting the juices seep out. Add in tomato sauce. Season with basil, parsley, oregano and a nice pinch of salt and pepper. Cook to simmer. Turn off the heat and let cool completely and it will slightly become thick. Perfect for scooping. Makes about 1 cup.

33 comments:

Pam said...

I love baking zucchini - it tastes just as good as fried without all the guilt!

Kelly said...

Yummy! I love that they are baked! I wonder if sweet potato would be good this way too? I love breaded and fried sweet potato and zucchini. I may have to try that out! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a winner in my book!

Eric

Jenn said...

Pam: Guilt-free is a wonderful thing especially with food.

Kelly: I think sweet potatoes would work. Give it a try. =)

Eric: Sweet!

tavolini said...

Yum, I love this! I hate frying in the kitchen due to clean up--faux frying is always the way to go!

Justin said...

i could go for some of these right now

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I love the way you make it more nutritious by using healthier methods!!

Diana said...

I love how you healthed this recipe up -- sounds delicious! Hmm... I do have some panko crumbs lying around...

Nazarina A said...

Everything is better with panko.Your baked zucchini sticks could very well be my first course, my starter or my appetizer...it is that delicious!

Unknown said...

oh this looks so good. *drooling*

Christo Gonzales said...

I have decided...you need to cook for me....these look great, I love fried zukes I bet I would love baked even more...

Jenn said...

TavoLini: Ah, yes. The clean up ia always the killer.

Jason: ;-)

Sweta: I gotta have my confort foods, so why not have em' in a better way.

Diana: Panko, I think, is so much better than regular bread crumbs.

Nazarina: Thanks

Jo: =)

doggy: As long as you pay for the ingredients, I'd be glad to cook for you. =)

lisaiscooking said...

Great idea to bake these. Wish I could snack on some right now!

The Duo Dishes said...

You're so right about the baking. It tastes just as good. We'll be baking instead of frying this weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

I always fry it but I will try baking next time - what a great idea!

Tangled Noodle said...

I love the crispiness you get from frying but that's about it. This looks like the perfect alternative - still crispy and tasty but so much more healthy!

Jenn said...

lisa: Thanks

Duo Dishes: It definitely does without all the added oil.

5 Star Foodie: Thanks.

Tangled Noodle: Same here usually whe I eat fried stuff the only thing I enjoy is the crispyness.

Zeee said...

Ooohhh! Looks yummy Jenn! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenn!
Greetings!
Zucchini season has started in Shizuoka, and you gave a great idea!
Tomorrow, depending on the weather (it's puring dogs and cats, or halberds as we say in France!) I will pay a visit to thelocal farmers!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Jenn said...

Z'riz: Thanks.

Robert-Gilles: Hopefully the rain will let up to let you visit the farmers.

Ozge said...

Looks very inviting this way. I'm a big fan of zucchini, but I'd just make stews, or put it into pastry filling before as frying would mean too much oil absorbed veggie to me. Baking & dipping into sauce sound very cool, Jen. Makes me imagine, the next thing you need would be a good movie and comfy sofa!

Heather S-G said...

Oh man, these shticks rock! I haven't had fried zucchini in forever...this sounds like an amazing version (even better)...and the sauce...Yum!

Anonymous said...

wow! these look so good, almost like the real thing! I can't wait to try these out when zucchini season hits!

vanillasugarblog said...

Over the last few years I, from time to time, say how thankful I am for finding out about Panko crumbs. I mean they truly make so many things better--case in point right here!

Jenn said...

Ozge: Forget the popcorn! Baked Zucchini is it! =)

Girlichef: Thanks!!

burpandslurp: Amazing how it can look like the original

Dawn: We gotta thank the Japanese for inventing them. lol

zerrin said...

These are adorable! Not fried but baked, just for my taste. and I think these will also be perfect when dipped into some yogurt while eating. Thank you for this healthy and original way of cooking zucchini.

Reeni said...

This is just about the only way you'll find me eating zucchini! They look crispy and yummy!

Jenn said...

zerrin: Ooo...yogurt.

reeni: Glad this will be the only way.

Daily Spud said...

I hope I get around to planting some zucchini this year, because I would end up baking some of them like this for sure - yum!

Jenn said...

Daily Spud: I'd love to plant have my own veggie garden. Nothing beats the fresh from ground produce.

Alta said...

I love fried zucchini, I'll have to try this! Maybe could even get the kids to eat a vegetable if I breaded it first! Great idea.

Jenn said...

Alta: It's a great way to trick kids into eating veggies.

Anonymous said...

wow! these were great! I was searching the internet for a while not wanting to use bread crumbs! but then I saw yours with Panko! was so happy to have some in my cubbard!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger