Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Almond Toffee Bars

Course #4 - Dessert: Part One.

Now, it's time for the after-party. Woo...

I remember tasting something similar to this at Cakery Bakery in La Canada, CA. Though it didn't have any toffee. I fell in love with it from the moment I laid eyes on them. Yes, love at first sight can happen with food.

Rather than driving there and paying $.85 for a small piece, I tried my hand on making my own batch. I totally took a wild guess as to what the ingredients might be. Dissecting it as I took a bite. I had a good feeling as to what they may be. Bakeries don't usually divulge their secrets unless you're really super-duper nice and do favors for them or you work there.

I made this with a graham cracker base similar to making a pie crust and added the toffee bits.





Almond Toffee Bars



Graham Cracker Base:


22 Whole Honey Graham Crackers (crushed)
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter or margarine (1 stick - softened)
1 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon

Preheat oven 350˚F

Combine ingredients thoroughly together in a bowl and mix until it can easily be molded in your hand. Place the mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 baking pan. Press firmly into a leveled layer.

Bake for 8-10min and let cool. The crust will harden after cooling.


Almond Toffee Filling:

7 oz Almond paste (mashed into bits for easier mixing)
3/4 c unsalted butter or margarine
1 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
4 Tbsp Sugar

1 c sliced almonds
1/2 c toffee bits

Combine the ingredients together in a bowl until the mixture is of a creamy consistency.


Pour the mixture over the graham cracker base. Spread into an even layer then sprinkle the sliced almonds and toffee bits on top.

Bake for 30 min. The top should have a caramel color to it. Let it cool completely before cutting or else graham cracker will slightly crumble.

Cut into desired sizes and enjoy.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that this is "dessert: part one." Can't wait to see part 2! :-D

Christo Gonzales said...

thise dessert looks fantastic.... keep it up and I will be copying everything you do soon enough....

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look wonderful! I love toffee and almond together.

Kim said...

Can I have a piece please? And a nice cold glass of milk and all will be right with me!!!!

Jenn said...

ValleyWriter: You'll love part 2

doggy: Well, if it's you, then I wouldn't mind. =)

jen: Thanks. I think those two go well together.

kim: Sure. I've got some milk, too.

vanillasugarblog said...

almond and toffee, oh yes.
this covers the nut group which is good for you, so then we can have it for breakfast.

Patty said...

Oh - it's another recipe that I HAVE to make! Great job! I wish I lived in Cali to try the bakerys!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful and delicious. I might pass on this one as it looks too tempting. I might not share with the hubby.

Jenn said...

dawn: It's perfect for breakfast.

McTatty: Enjoy making them. It's really tasty.

oyster culture: Haha... He'll be jealous your' having such a yummy treat.

Reeni said...

These look delicious! Great job recreating them.

zerrin said...

Almond is my favorite ingredient in cookies, cakes, desserts and this one sounds so appetizing. And I'm sure, the smell of it would make me crazy. I should definitely try it.

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thank you.

Zerrin: It's always been almonds or pecans for me. When I made these my house smelled like almonds for a few hours.

Zriz said...

Ohhhhhh this looks uber yummy Jenn!!! I'd like to try them... hehehe :)

Dewi said...

This sounds so delicious Jenn. I love almond.
Cheers,
elra

Jenn said...

Zriz: Give 'em a try. you'll like it.

Elra: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

you came up with this all by yourself? you amazing creative baker, you! wow! it looks amzing!

Sophie said...

MMMMMM...Jennifer! These look easy to make & fabulously yummie 8)!!!!
Perfect to eat 1 or 2 with some afternoon coffee!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Almond and Toffee bars sound super delicious! Can't wait to read about more desserts!

Pam said...

These look amazing...the only problem is I wouldn't be able to eat just one.

Jenn said...

burpandslurp: yup. Made it all by myself.

Sophie: I don't think 2 will be enough depsneding how big you slice them. =)

5 Star Foodie: Definitely more to come

Pam: I had that problem. I had to muster enough strength to save some for the next day. lol

Anonymous said...

How did we miss these babies? Dang, those look good!

Jenn said...

Duo Dishes: No worries. They were still here waiting for you. =)

Tangled Noodle said...

These look great! I'm currently on an almond kick so you've hit a sweet spot!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: The Almond is the "IT" nut of the moment.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger