Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Egg Drop Soup



I didn't want to make anything too complicated or something that took too much effort to make. I decided that soup was the way to go. It was a chilly night here in LA the other night, so it was a perfect fit. A classic dish found in many Chinese restaurants. This has always been on my favorite soups list. It's simple and easy to make. A nice substitute for the good ol' fashion chicken noodle or tomato.


Egg Drop Soup

4 c chicken or vegetable stock (fresh or canned)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp of water or stock
1 egg beaten lightly

optional:
1 scallion (finely chopped)
1 c corn (frozen or from cob)
1 c shredded chicken


Over medium to high heat, bring stock to a boil. Then add cornstarch mixtures. Make sure to stir often. This should thicken the stock. Add salt. Keep stirring until cornstarch fully dissolves.

Slowly pour in the egg, continuously stirring. It'll make the egg into that shredded look. Add the corn or chicken.

Let is simmer for two minutes, stir occasionally to keep the cornstarch from settling. Turn off the heat, give it a taste and add more salt, if needed.

Ladle a nice helping into a bowl and sprinkle over some scallions to garnish. Voila!

11 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

one of my hubbys' all time favs. I had no idea there was creamed corn in there? That's pretty cool. Looks good though, I know he'd love this if I made it, so I'm printing this one out.

Jenn said...

Your hubby will sure love this.

Anonymous said...

Yum! My husband's favorite too :) Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

You had me at "Soup". I love it!

Eric

The Bubs said...

it looks great! I was surprised the first time I made it at how simply this delicious soup comes together.

You reminded me that it's time to make it again soon.

Jenn said...

5 Star Foodie: You hubby will like this, too.

Eric: Thanks!

bubs: Ya. The first time I made this, I thought it was going to take a lot of work. I was just literally standing in the kitchen with one arm stirring.

Pam said...

Ooohhh - this is one of my very favorite soups. It looks thick and delicious.

The Duo Dishes said...

That's all that's in egg drop soup? Like, for real. Oh wow...gotta make it!

Jenn said...

Pam: It's delicious, indeed.

DuoDishes: That's all there is. No need to go to a chinese restaurant, anymore.

Tangled Noodle said...

Ah! So simple and so very, very delicious!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: I couldn't agree more.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger