Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Green Beans A Chance



I figured sauteed green beans was a boring title. I like to play with words. It's fun. Keep me occupied for 10 seconds. Anyway...a simple, yet delicious meal satisfying on every level, at least for me.

Sauteed green beans with a slight Asian flavor. I had eaten quite a big meal the other day with that pasta, so I wanted to go for something relatively light and on the healthy side. But I didn't want a salad. That was last thing on my mind. I remember I had gotten some green beans from the farmer's market. So I made a quick saute with them and mixed it with some fresh tomatoes a some grated cheese. A semi-saute salad in a way. I had this with a small cheese sammie on homemade wheat french bread.



Sauteed Green Beans

1 lbs Green bean
2 small tomatoes (chopped and deseeded)
Grated Cheese of your choice
3 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 garlic cloves (minced)
salt & pepper to season
olive oil


In a small bowl season the tomato with a pinch of salt and mix.

In a pan, coat the bottom with oil and heat. Saute the garlic until brown. Add in the green beans and stir to combine for a couple of minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add in the soy sauce. Toss a few more times. Until beans are tender.

Remove the beans from the heat and toss in with the tomatoes. Serve with helping cheese on top.

27 comments:

Dewi said...

I make green bean similar to your recipe, except without soy sauce. I like it simple, with lots of tomatoes. Delicious!

Christo Gonzales said...

at least you didnt say 'peas on earth' .....

Kelly said...

Those sound a lot like the green beans my mother-in-law makes, and they are really nice! I love garlic and green beans. Such a natural combo!

Diana said...

I like the title. :) It amused me for a whole minute!

I've never thought to pair cheese and soy sauce, but now that I think about it, I bet it is delish!

Anonymous said...

I do need to give green beans a chance. I never make them as my husband is not a big fan, but the asian flavor sounds good to me.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Green beans sound good. Hopefully I will have some green beans from my garden soon! Good idea to add the soy sauce.

Heather S-G said...

I love green beans...fresh ones (ie. not canned)!! This sounds like a great preparation...and fun word play, ha ha ha :P

Jenn said...

Elra: Simple is great.

doggy: true!

Kelly: Green beans for me have to be in a soup or in a simple saute.

Diana: Soy sauce and cheese is a nice combo.

5 star Foodie: You need to convice you husband to give them a chance. =)

Jen: Fresh from the garden sound lovely.

Girlichef: Thanks!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Simple but healthy!!

chow and chatter said...

i like it soy is good with everything great recipe

Pam said...

Looks great - I love green beans and am always looking for new and different ways to prepare them.

Jenn said...

Sweta: Thanks

Chow and Chatter: It very much is.

Pam: I've always loved green beans. Every chance I get i'll try to get them into some kind of dish.

zerrin said...

Jenn, it's a wonderful coincidence that we made a similar dish and put its recipe on our blogs today. I love green beans, but never used it with cheese. A great idea!
BTW I also thought on the title, but couldn't find a creative one, so you may find mine ( just "Green Beans") boring. May I borrow yours?

Anonymous said...

I like the play on words! I'm nerdy that way, hee.
looks very delicious!

Donna-FFW said...

I am always looking for different ways to cook green beans and this looks delicious!

Jenn said...

Zerrin: You most certainly may borrow the title. =)

burpandslurp: Word plays are fun.

Donna-FFW: Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm in heaven - great minds think a like - saw GiveRecipes version and your looks delicious. What better toppings than soy sauce and cheese. The one tow umani punch!

Jenn said...

Oystter Culture: Umami is in the building!!

Hilary Cable said...

Yum. I love meals like this. Bright, fresh and healthy.

Jenn said...

Hilary Cable: I agree.

tavolini said...

That title made me chuckle--and now that song will be stuck in my head all day--thanks :P

Those look good--I tend to like hot vegetables over salads most of the time.

Jenn said...

TavoLini: LoL. I had that song stuck in my while all night while writing this post.

Tangled Noodle said...

If my mom had served green beans like this when I was a kid (instead of cooking them to smooshiness), I would eat them more often! As it is, I'm rediscovering their virtues and easy, delicious preps like this make me crave 'em!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: I never did like the smooshed kind.

teresa said...

What a gorgeous side dish, it looks so yummy adn healthy!

Jenn said...

Teresa: I like my green beans fresh.

practic said...

Heh...I wonder what all those people are going to do when they find out that John Lennon was actually singing about food, and not world peace?!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger