Search Bread + Butter

Monday, May 11, 2009

Wheat Pasta



For my next attempt, I dared to make pasta. The upside to this is that it is homemade and delicious. But the down side out-weighed the upside. I don't have a pasta machine of any kind and had to roll the dough by hand using a rolling pin. Major chore! It was literally a workout. My arms still feel sore from excessive rolling. I literally had sweat falling down my forehead and neck. Trying to get the thickness of the pasta just right. I kept thinking...is this thick enough? And when will I be done because I had some writing to do.

Once I got all the rolling and cutting done, I hung the pasta to dry on the back of two dining chairs overnight, so that way all I had to do was cook it the next day. I had to cook them a little longer than usual because I had made them a little too thick. Note to self: roll dough thinner.



I had gotten the original recipe many years ago. I don't remember who gave it to me or where I had gotten it. It was a recipe for regular white pasta. I modified it a bit to make into a wheat pasta. It was a good experience, but I think I'll stick to the "ready made" version until I get my own little pasta maker.

I served this with some Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto that I had bought from Domenico's Artisanal Foods at Gigi's Farmer's Market the other day. They were the ones that I had mentioned a few weeks ago, who were featured in Bon Appetit Magazine. It was so good! I mixed it with some pan-fried shrimp, liberally seasoned with salt and pepper. Topped it with some shredded Manchego Cheese.



Wheat Pasta

1 c All Purpose Flour
1 c Wheat Flour
3 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp olive oil

By food processor: combine all ingredients until it forms a dough.

By hand: Combine the flours and salt. Place on flat surface and create a little well in between. Kind of like a volcano. Place eggs and oil in the well and mix well until a dough forms.

-----

Knead the dough into a ball then wrap in some plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.

Roll out the dough into the desired thickness using a rolling pin. Cut into strips or make into ravioli.

Hang the pasta to dry at least 15 min.

Homemade pasta generally will cook in half the time as store bought.


33 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow what a workout, impressive though, i must try one day but Indian food is work in itself he he he

Kelly said...

Making your own pasta by hand is hard, but yours looks lovely! I want a pasta attachment for my KA but I am going to have to wait until Christmas for it. *sigh*

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

What a great way to cook and get a workout ;) Are you thinking of making it on a regular basis?

Christo Gonzales said...

I am sure it was a hastle but a hastle well worth it...it looks really good!

vanillasugarblog said...

no kidding. well, hey it came out great. I have yet to try this on my own.
I hear the first few times are hard but after a while you get the knack of it

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Looks great! Kudos for making it without a pasta machine, too! I think it sounds delicious!

Teanna said...

Gorgeous! The pasta is beautiful and the photos are just perect!

The Duo Dishes said...

Very impressive! Making pasta by hand is really fun, but it's a lot of work. It's worth it though.

Jenn said...

Chow and Chatter: I think making Indian Food wil be my next quest.

Kelly: A pasta Machine is on my christmas wishlist as well.

Sweta: At the moment I think I'll stick to the store kind. I don't think i can handle making pasta on a regular basis.

doggy: Worth it, indeed!

Dawn: I just need to get my arms used to the rolling and pressing motion.

Jen & Teanna: Thanks =)

Duo Dishes: I didn't realize how work it was until I started doing it.

Anonymous said...

I admire your persistence, the pasta looks beautiful.

Eric

Pam said...

I've made homemade noodles for soup and it's such a pain to roll them out thin enough. Yours look really good - I love that they are whole wheat.

Admin said...

Whoa, Jenn, that was brave! I have a pasta machine and I'm still afraid to make fresh pasta from scratch. Nothing wrong with nice, thick noodles. I think they're more -- what's the word? -- toothsome (?). In fact, this will be perfect for chicken and dumplings Pennsylvania Dutch style.

Dewi said...

Impressive my dear! Homemade pasta rock!

Jenn said...

eric: Thanks.

Pam: soup sounds good right about now.

Leela: That sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

Elra: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yummy pasta! So wonderful that you made it all by hand!

Jenn said...

5 Star Foodie: Snuck in there just at the last moment. =) I'd definitely make it by hand again.

Jim said...

Hey Jenn,
Try making trofie, no rolling necessary. I made some last month, here is the post - http://musingsonthepathtofrugality.blogspot.com/2009/04/day-2-summary.html

Jim

Heather S-G said...

Impressive :) But, I'm with you...machine, machine, machine :)

Debbie said...

Your pasta looks wonderful. Someday, someday I will try and make my own!

MrsLavendula said...

wow! i commend you on your hard work!!!

Anonymous said...

love wheat pasta, and all the infinite combos that go with it. Thanks for sharing

Jenn said...

Jim: Thanks! I'll check it out.

girlichef: We're machine girls. LOL.

debbie: You can do it!

MrsLavendula: Thanks.

oysterculture: Yes, so many possibilities.

Reeni said...

Your a machine! You did a great job without one! I love the way you served it, mmmmmmm!!

Anonymous said...

wow! I applaud you. making your own pasta, esp without a pasta maker, is a daunting task! but at least you get some arm muscles, eh? and the result looks absolutely scrumptious!

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks!!

burpandslurp: I definitely need some arm muscle. LOL.

Ginger said...

OK! Your pasta looks incredible. I want to try this. I have looked for a pasta machine but yet to find one. The pasta has to taste so fresh. We are now eating wheat pasta here so thanks for sharing. Amazing photos. Have a great day!

Jenn said...

Ginger: You're welcome! Enjoy making it.

Tangled Noodle said...

Major kudos to you! At least you burned some cals and could enjoy the carbs w/o guilt. 8-P

Really though, this is awesome. I like the 'idea' of making my own pasta but I'm a lazy girl. I think you should go out and get yourself a pasta roller just for doing this! Oh, and the end result looks great

Jenn said...

TangledNoodle: I deserve a pasta roller! LOL.

alice said...

Looks great Jenn. I don't have a pasta maker either but when I've made my own noodles I use it in chicken noodle soup. SO much better than store bought. Next time I'll have to make them wheat like yours!

Jenn said...

Alice: definitely noodles for soup is good.

tavolini said...

Neato! I like that you dried it on the back of the chair :)

I've never tried making pasta. I hear you with the roller, though, I generally get annoyed when making dough for samosas!

Jenn said...

TavoLini: I'd love to try making dough from samosas from scratch.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger