Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tuna Corn Cakes with Garlic Yogurt Sauce



This is my entry to BSI (Blogger’s Secret Ingredient). Hosted this week by Sophia from Burp and Slurp. The secret ingredient chosen was corn. It just so happens that I had a can of sweet corn from Trader Joe's in the cupboard, so it seem a perfect time to use it. Plus since summer is upon us and corn is in demand, I needed to do something with it as well. I figured why not add tuna into the mix. It gave me a chance to use up two more cans of tuna from the bulk I bought from Costco. Sweet!

I quickly did a pan-fry to seal the top and bottoms crusts, then baked it for a few minutes to brown the edges and cook the inside. I served this with a garlic yogurt sauce and a freshly diced tomato lightly tossed with some salt and olive oil.



Tuna Corn Cakes

2 5oz can tuna in water
2 can sweet corn
1 c Panko Crumbs
1 shallot diced
2 egg (beaten)

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Drain all the water from the tuna as well as all the liquid from the corn. Make sure they are both dry. Pat them with a paper towel, if needed. Mix the two together in a medium bowl. Add in the diced shallot and mix in the 2 beaten eggs.

Divide into 6 cakes.

On med-high heat, coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil. When the oil is hot enough, sear the tops and bottoms of the patties until they form a nice crust. (roughly 2-3 min)

Transfer the patties onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for another 5-8 min to crisp the edges.

Remove from oven and serve.


Garlic Yogurt Sauce
1 5oz cup plain yogurt
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
salt

Combine yogurt, garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.

Drizzle over the tuna corn cakes and garnish with some seasoned diced tomatoes.


28 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

Tuna and corn go so well together. I just made some plain yougurt, I'll try making that sauce!yum yum!

Cucinista said...

I love this idea for a quick dinner -- a great alternative to classic fish cakes. And I bet I have all the ingredients in my cupboard. Thanks!

Christo Gonzales said...

great idea and great use of the cupboard....jenn you have a busy mind!

chow and chatter said...

great and very quick as ever Jenn, all the best for the contest Rebecca

Heather S-G said...

This is such a simple preparation, yet it is making my mouth water. Sounds really good, Jenn!

Dewi said...

I am loving the yogurt sauce Jenn. Of course it will be delicious serve with your Tuna Corn cake.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this one looks delicious! What a wonderful host of combinations

lisaiscooking said...

I'm not completely awake yet, and on first glance this looked like a strawberry shortcake--which is pretty cool. Then I read the title. It sounds really delicious with the garlic yogurt sauce!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Aha-this one is a sure winner!!All the best:)
Thanks for reminding me about panko crumbs-just added it to my grocery list!

Tangled Noodle said...

How do you do it? These ingredients are all staples in my kitchen and not once have they ever clicked together until I saw your recipe. These tuna corn cakes would make a delicious dinner with a salad (or even as a sandwich!).

vanillasugarblog said...

ohhh I hate that it takes me forever to get on your blog (only yours, how wild).
I love that you put corn in here for that texture. and the sauce is good too. I've been wanting to make corn relish cakes. doesn't that sound good? have a good weekend!

Jenn said...

Pigpigscorner: I'd love to try and make homemade yogurt next. =)

Cucinista: If you do, enjoy making them.

doggy: I definitely do.

chow and chatter, girlichef, oyster culture, Sweta: Thanks.

Elra: The yogurt sauce goes really well with this.

lisaiscooking: It kind of does look like a cake.

Tangled Noodle: Deinifitely goes great with salads and sanwiches.

Dawn: Corn relish cakes does sound good. Mmmmm... That still sucks that it has to be my site that gives you trouble. Grrr! =)

Admin said...

When the picture started loading on the screen I thought I was looking at strawberry shortcake and whipped cream. Then I found out it's tuna. Very pretty. This is so creative and delicious sounding.

Zee said...

another yummy post Jenn....hehehe I gotta start grabbing your recipes and trying them out for myself... :)

Anonymous said...

oh no, Jenn! you're gonna scare away all the other competitors with such a gorgeous recipe! YUM! and thanks for submitting :-)

raquel said...

fantastic!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look wonderful - I think my husband would like these, too! The yogurt sauce sounds great - I have some more Oikos in my fridge, so I think I'll give that a try.

theUngourmet said...

Those look terrific!

That Trader Joes corn is good stuff isn't it!

Jenn said...

Leela: Trickery of the eye. Gotta love it.

Zee: They'll be here when you need them. =)

burpandslurp: Oh no. I hope I don't. I'm just trying to have fun. =)

raquel: Thanks.

Jen: I really like the Oikos a lot, too.

the ungourmet: It definitely is.

teresa said...

i so wish i had your creativity, this looks fantastic, and so pretty!

Jenn said...

Teresa: Thank you. You can do this kind of stuff, too.

Reeni said...

These are so yummy and so quick to make! Love that crispy crust!

pam said...

My grandmother used to make tuna cakes every Friday, but she never made them with corn. That sounds so good!

Anonymous said...

Combining tuna and corn in these delicious cakes is a great idea! Yummy with the garlic yogurt sauce!

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks. =)

Pam: It's a great addition.

5 Star Foodie: Thanks.

FOODalogue said...

simple but tasty combo and a great way to use up things in the pantry

The Duo Dishes said...

Nice way to step up cakes! We'd love to try th is with salmon or crab.

Jenn said...

Joan Nova: Thanks.

Duo Dishes: Go for it. I think salmon and crab would go well with this too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger