Search Bread + Butter

Friday, May 22, 2009

Tuna Casserole with Roasted Eggplant



Don't be fooled by the look of this creamy glob of deliciousness. It may not have a pretty plating but the taste is worth it. I saw the original recipe on the back of a Campbell's Cream of Celery soup can and I had gotten a bunch of tuna from my last trip to Costco. I figured this was a good way to two use of those cans. Besides, tuna salad gets boring after a while. So here's my take on it. Rather than using curly egg noodles, I used small shell pasta.

Creamy, delicious, with some fresh herb-roasted veggies.



Tuna Casserole with Roasted Eggplant

2 5oz can tuna in oil.
1 small can Cream of Celery soup
2 medium eggplant (cubed)
1/2 medium onion (quartered and separated)
1/2 c milk or 1 small can of evaporated milk
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 large garlic cloves
1 Tbsp Dry Basil
1 Tbsp Dry Parsley (plus extra)
Salt
Pepper
2 c Pasta (of your choice. Rough estimate.) - I used small shells
1 c Panko Crumbs


Preheat oven to 450˚F

Toss the cubed eggplant and onions in a generous drizzle of olive oil with the dry basil, dry parsley, salt and pepper.

Place on a baking sheet or roasting pan along with one garlic clove at each end and put in the oven for 30-40 min.

While the eggplant is roasting, bring a stock pot full of water to a boil. Season the water liberally with salt and cook the pasta to al dente (roughly 10min). Then drain excess water.

Remove the oil, but not all from the tuna and shred the meat.

Once the pasta is done, place into a casserole and add in the cream of celery soup, milk and tuna. Mix thoroughly to combine.

When the eggplant and onion are done, add them into the pasta mixtures. Again mixing thoroughly to combine. Sprinkle the panko crumbs on top and some fresh or dry parsley.

Bake for 20min on a 400˚F oven.


29 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

well lookee there I'm in again and yes this time I read it all.
the last time I made roasted eggplant was like 2 years ago, I must change that.
I don't know why your site keeps booting me....weird

Pam said...

I haven't had tuna casserole for YEARS...you now have me craving it.

Diana said...

Yep, definitely craving casserole now. Drats!

Jenn - Did you see your leche flan on Serious Eats today? So exciting!!!!

chow and chatter said...

I love your pasta recipes, and tuna rocks, thanks have a fab weekend Jenn

Christo Gonzales said...

In the mood for good food? this looks like the ticket....

Anonymous said...

This tuna pasta casserole sounds really tasty! Delicious with roasted eggplant!

Jenn said...

Dawn: LoL. I'm glad you're back on.

Pam: Good.

Diana: I looked immediately when I read your comment.

Chow and Chatter: Thanks. =)

doggy: I'm always in the mood for good food.

5 Star Foodie: Thanks.

Dewi said...

Hmm. tuna casserole sounds so good right now. I am just finish my exercise and need all of this protein right now. Yummy!

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmmm, casserole! :) You've revamped a classic, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

looks wonderful and what a great fix for mid week!

Zee said...

another creative creation Jenn! How do u do it? :)

Jenn said...

Elra: This would be a great choice.

Duo Dishes: Thanks!!

OysterCulture: It sure is.

Zee: I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Have never tried a tuna casserole-sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

it looks really really good to me! I LOVE eggplant. yummm!
I grew up in an Asian household, so I've never had any of these casseroles before. Time to break that!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Looks delicious! I love tuna casserole, and the roasted eggplant sounds like a wonderful addition.

Jenn said...

Sweta: Never too late to try.

burpandslurp: Go for it!!

Jen: It's really good.

Claudia said...

This is quite lovely and am bookmarking it. Love new ways to use tuna.

Anonymous said...

Great tuna recipe!

Jamie said...

I think pretty is overrated anyway (I am not good at it :-)) I have been wondering how to update this classic dish of my childhood and yours is pretty wonderful!

pigpigscorner said...

It looks yummy! I love tuna casserole but never tried adding eggplant. yum yum!

Justin said...

this is a new variation of tuna casserole for me -- hmm, I've got a lot of tuna in the cupboard too

Jenn said...

Claudia: Thanks for visiting!

Ruth: Thanks!

Jamie: Pretty is overrated! LOL.

pigpigscorner: It tastes good with the eggplant.

Justin: Solution for those canned tuna. =)

Reeni said...

I would never think to pair tuna with eggplant. I bet that is a delicious pairing!

teresa said...

I bet this is so good! I love tuna casserole, but the eggplant makes it look even better! Next time I make tuna casserole, I'm making it like this!

Jenn said...

Reeni: They match well with each other.

Teresa: Enjoy making it. ;-)

My Taste Heaven said...

Thanks for introducing a new way to prepare eggplant.

My Taste Heaven said...

Thanks for introducing a new way to prepare eggplant.

Jenn said...

My Taste Heaven: You're welcome!

bloguay.com/mueblesmadrid362 said...

This cannot really work, I feel so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger