Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Oatmeal Mango Cookies

I love oatmeal raisin cookies as much as I love chocolate chip and snickerdoodles. One thing I've never seen are oatmeal cookies with mangoes. I don't know if there's a recipe already out there, if there is I guess you can add this to the list. It popped in my heard the other day. I know there's been oatmeal with cranberry, so why not mango? I thought of using some fresh mango, but I was afraid that it'll turn it into mush. The alternative was the dried kind.

One of my favorite snacks growing was dried mangoes. One of the advantages of where I live is that there are several Filipino markets selling goods from the homeland. So I never feel homesick for snacks, treats and ingredients that I grew up loving. Dried Mangoes are best for using in cookies. The ones I used is the Philippine brand. Made from the Island of Cebu in the Visayan region. It's one of their many specialties along side the best whole roasted pig you'll ever eat. Even Anthony Bourdain said it was the best pig he's eaten.

The Philippine brand dried Mangoes are lightly sweetened. It's a healthy afternoon snack and oh-so-good! Great for fiber, too. Thought I'd throw that in there. You don't necessarily have to use this brand. I know Whole Foods, Costco and, I think, Trader Joe's carry dried mangoes. So they're definitely out there. Just be sure to get the lightly sweetened kind because when you bake it, they will caramelize inside the cookie.

I cut the dried mango to the size of raisins for chewability. I also love it when it's loaded with oats. The mangoes are not overwelming, so it blends nicely with the cinnamon flavor.

These will make 12 cookies.



Oatmeal Mango Cookies

1 c dried mangoes (cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 c rolled oats
1/2 c unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c cake flour
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350˚F

Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add in each egg, stirring after each one. The add vanilla.

Mix in oats and mango pieces. Divide the mixture into 12 equal pieces and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, parchment paper or silpat.

Bake for 8 to 10 min.

32 comments:

Dimah said...

Yum! Those look super good!

Donna-FFW said...

Those look delicious, what a unique idea.

Denise said...

Just came over from donna's blog. I love it. I am half Filipino, myself and am always looking for recipes. I will follow along.

chow and chatter said...

another great idea Jenn, isn't it fun to find foods from back home, I can find a lot of British stuff in world market! lol Rebecca, oh will keep you updated on the ducks he he

Chocolate Shavings said...

I love dried mango but I've never thought of adding it to cookies - sounds delicious!

Heather S-G said...

Dried mangoes go fast around...they are a favorite of 2 of the kiddos and myself, so I'd have to hide a pack special to make these cookies...bet it'd be worth it, though. They sound so yummy!

Christo Gonzales said...

I totally had to giggle a little with the brand name - talk about not worrying about coming up with a name huh? What a luscious cookie...

theUngourmet said...

These would be great for a quick breakfast too!

pigpigscorner said...

I love dried mangoes too! And it's really interesting to put them in cookies!

Lady P said...

Yes!! that's what I'm talking about!!

Elyse said...

These cookies look divine! I just happen to have some dried mango in my pantry, so I'm all set to make these. How delicious! Love your blog; so glad to have found it!

Jenn said...

Dimah: They are!

Donna: Thanks.

Denise: Welcome aboard. =)

Chow and Chatter: Please do. Little duckies always give me the warm fuzzzies. =)

Chocolate Shavings: Thanks.

Girlichef: Definitely hide a bag for these little babies!

doggy: Yeah. A least you'll know where it came from. LOL.

The Ungourmet: Goes for breakfast. Just need some milk.

pigpigscorner: give em' a try. =)

Lady P: ;-)

Elyse: Thanks for stopping by!

Reeni said...

Dried mango rocks! These look great! I'm a big fan of oats in baked goods. These almost look like a soft energy bar type of cookie.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

That is so neat-we get dried mangoes in the grocery shop here,never thought of putting them into cookies!!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

What a creative new cookie - I have never seen any oatmeal cookies with mango... I think you can take the credit! Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you: I HATE dried fruits. but I love dried figs and mangoes. these cookies look damn awesome to me, with those bits of chewy dried mango! another perfect recipe, Jenn!

raquel said...

what a great combination! but then, i'll eat anything with mangoes!!!!

MrsLavendula said...

the pairing of my two favorites, oatmeal and mangoes! looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Delicious cookies with oatmeal and dried mango! Yum!

kamran siddiqi said...

These look sooooo good! Now, I have a new recipe to try out during the week! Thanks for sharing!

-Kamran

Jenn said...

Reeni: They do have that texture of an energy bar.

Sweta: Now you know. =)

Jen: I think I will.

Raquel: same here. LOL

MrsLavendula: Thanks.

5 Star Foodie: =)

Kamran: Your welcome. Enjoy making them.

Dewi said...

Sounds really delicious. I love mango!

KennyT said...

I love dried mango! I bought tonnes of dried mango back to HK from Boracay and Manila!

Kristen said...

What a marvelous idea!

teresa said...

Fantastic idea! I bet these are so good!

Jenn said...

Elra: ;-)

KennyT: It's definitely a treat you'll have to take back home from a visit.

Kristen: Thanks.

Teresa: They are!

Diana said...

Love it! So funny that we both experimented with oatmeal cookies last week!

Jenn said...

Diana: Totally cool!

Tangled Noodle said...

These are great! I love fruits in my cookies but my brain has been stuck on 'berry' mode - I never thought to use dried mango (maybe b/c I usually eat them all before it gets to the point of wondering what to do with them).

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: Yeah, I had a hard time not eating them before I added them to the batter.

www.albacete-3d.com said...

I absolutely match with your post.

8 said...

This is great! I was looking for a way to use dried mangos. The dried mangos I will use are from Indonesia, which are found at http://store.javabite.com.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger