Search Bread + Butter

Friday, July 17, 2009

Banana Cue


I'm still in my summer Filipino treats mode. You already saw my Sago at Gulaman concoction. If not, go check it out after you finish reading today's delicious dish. I had bought a couple of plantains from the grocery a couple days ago. They looked fresh and there was only a few left. I took the opportunity to take 'em. You want to get them just right before they turn ripe. It's the best kind when you fry these puppies. Banana cue is another common treat found from street vendors in the Philippines.

They are plantains that are fried with brown sugar giving it a firm caramel coat. Kind of like candied bananas or almost like a bananas foster in a way. In the Philippine language, a banana is called saging (sa-ging). It's close relative treat is the turon (to-ron), which is a plantain and a piece of jack fruit wrapped in an egg roll wrapper, fried and coated with brown sugar. The banana cue is similar but it's strictly just the banana and served on a skewer. Easy portability. I'll be making the turon soon.

You'd think that frying a banana would cook it inside and out. Yes and no. The key is to just brown the outer layer, then sealing it with a brown sugar coating until it caramelizes. The outside of it has a nice firm sugar crust. When you bite into it, it's got a little itty-bitty crunch then you get into the nice, yellow, soft and warm inside of the plantain. My mom once told me she used to eat these with her classmates during recess when she was a little child.

I didn't put any time measurements as you need to keep an eye out on them. You got to get a feeling for them while they cook. I think that's the secret to making delicious banana cues. Can you see that chunky piece of crystalized sugar?? Those are the best parts. It goes really well with ice cream.

I could eat these all day. Have a piece of fruit while satisfying the sweet tooth, what could be better than that, right?



Banana Cue

2 Large Plantain (nearly ripe)
4 Tbsp brown sugar
Skewers

Oil (canola, vegetable, peanut = You choice)

Remove the skins of the plantains, cut them in half.

In a frying pan, heat some oil. Just enough to go half way up the banana. When the oil is really hot, carfully drop in the plantains. You'd want the outside to have a slight browning. Turn, if needed.

When the bananas have browned slightly all around, sprinkle the brown sugar. You may add more. Keep an eye while they fry you want the sugar to melt and coat the plaintains. Roughly 5-10min. turn them ocassionaly to cook all around.

When the sugar has completely coated the plantains and looks firm, remove from then oil and insert a skewer lengthwise. Two will fit on one stick.

Serve warm.

34 comments:

Denise said...

I relly enjoy all the Filipino recipes. I am half Filipino, myself and am learning so much about the food, its incredible. These look amazing and I always have plantains around, I am going to try and get my girls to eat them so they can learn about their heritage. Love your blog!

Unknown said...

These look so very delicious.. I bet they are addicting. Love how fun they look to eat also.

Heather S-G said...

WOW! I want to banana-cue!!! These are so gorgeous...I can almost taste them...

Unknown said...

I would love to try this!
I make this really easy banana desert that u might like. You take a banana. You leave it in its skin but you poke a couple holes in it. Cook it in the oven till the skin turns black. Then slice the peel open down the center (but not all the way through) sprinkle with cane sugar and eat with greek yogurt. It is so easy and yummy. I bet this one is too.

Zoe said...

I've always wanted to make these at home because they are soo good at restaurants! It seems very simple, thanks for sharing!

pigpigscorner said...

Loving your filipino treats! This looks delicious!

Tangled Noodle said...

Ah yes! Banana cue is one of life's simple yet incredibly tasty pleasures. I love turon but the great thing about this snack is its total banana-ness and, of course, caramelized sugar. The more, the better!

Dewi said...

Absolutely simply delicious!

KennyT said...

These look so yum! I want lots of melting brown sugar on these nice bananas.

Phyllis said...

These look awesome, Jenn. Gorgeous photos too. I love sweet plantains and bananas fosters so these are just my style!

Mary Bergfeld said...

They do indeed look delicious! Not unlike fried bananas. You've made it seem less intimidating to make them.

theUngourmet said...

I have yet to try plantains. This does look so delicious and I would love it with ice cream! Yum!

Parita said...

I enjoy caramelized fruits, looks lovely jenn, love the clicks!

Christo Gonzales said...

we eat a lot of bananas and plantains around here - these would be a big hit - thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

Denise: Cool. I'm sure your girls will love these.

Donna: They are.

girlichef: You almost made it sound like a dance. lol.

Heavenly: I've got to try that. I'll do that next when I get bananas again.

Zoe: They're really easy to make. No need to go to the restaurants now!

pigpigscorner, Elra: Thanks.

Tangled Noodle: Yeah. I tend to prefer this over the turon, too.

Kenny: You can add as much brown sugar as you like. That's the beauty of these.

Phylis: You'll definitely love these.

Mary: They're not that intimidating to begin with. You can do these easily ;-)

ungourmet: plantains are really good. sometimes I prefer them over the refular bananas.

Parita: Thanks.

Doggy: Your welcome!

lisaiscooking said...

This is a great snack! And, with ice cream, this would be insanely good. That caramelized surface looks delicious.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

I am a fan of bananas foster, so these sound perfect for me. I think I will give it a try the next time I see plantains at the store.

Daily Spud said...

Bananas on a stick? Count me in bigtime. I haven't cooked much with plantains but this seems like a tasty way to start!

The Duo Dishes said...

Plantains are much preferred over bananas. Toss these over ice cream, and it's a party.

Jenn said...

Lisa: Thanks. ;-)

Jen: You should.

Daily Spud: Plantains are the best choice to cook with. They're so good!!

DuoDishes: Party time!!!

Pooja said...

Caramelized ones are my all time favourite! Looks so delicious!

Justin said...

i do love turon, but this is something i've never seen or hear of before.

Reeni said...

What a delicious treat these are! That caramelization is divine!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Oh man those looks delicious. I love the carmalization. I bet it's so sweet and a great summer treat.

Jenn said...

Pooja, Reeni: Thanks.

Justin: Looks out for it. You'll love it!!

Nutmeg: It definitely is!!

Sippity Sup said...

I would eat this anytime. GREG

Jenn said...

Greg: I could too.

MaRyA said...

makes me so homesick... great photographs! and of course the food too!

Jenn said...

MaryA: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! I love fried plantains. I'm definitely trying this recipe.

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: Enjoy!!

i♥pinkc00kies said...

wow! I love this! Although I love camote-q more. :D

http://thefilipinorecipes.blogspot.com said...

Eto ang kadalasang bilhin bilang merienda ng mga Filipino :)

Sarap talaga ng banana cue syempre at ang iba pang mga Filipino Recipes

Pinoy Showbiz News said...

yummy.. it is very delicious right?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger