Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Semi-Homemade Breadsticks


Okay from the picture, it looks more like a round bread, cut in half. I would have cut them into stick form, but I just didn't have the patience to actually cut them. I took the easy way out and quartered them instead.

When I was little, my mom and I used to walk to Blockbuster Video and rent whatever latest movie was out. Remember those days of actually going out to the video store and picking out a movie you wanted to watch, if it was in stock. Yes, folks...these were the days before Netflix and instant streaming came along. Anyway, next to Blockbuster was a Little Caesar's Pizza. You know, they had the little Greek cartoon character wearing a toga and a laurel wreath on his head and said "Pizza, pizza!" We'd always stop by and get two orders of their breadsticks and munch on them on the way home. One bag for me and one for my mom. It was literally a round pizza dough baked, cut into strips and seasoned.

Since I made my pizza dough, I wanted to somehow recreate that feeling I once did when I was a child. The portion of dough I had thawed out wasn't big enough to make plump ones, so this was slightly thinner than the once I had a Little Caesar's, but it's really good. Simple to make, too.

If you're having guests over want to impress them with some breadsticks as an appetizer. Here's an easy way to do it. Fool them into thinking that you made the whole thing yourself. You can use your own homemade dough that you've saved in the freezer or premade dough like the Pillsbury Pizza crust. Be sure to get the classic kind. You want them plump. Granted mine aren't as plump, but you want them plump. I added garlic powder, but that's optional. But it must have melted butter and grated parmesan cheese. Yummy!!

Serves 2.





Semi-Homemade Breadsticks

1 homemade or premade pizza dough
1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1/3 c grated parmesan
3 Tbsp garlic powder (optional)


Preheat your oven to 375˚F

Roll the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Thickness of the dough is your choice.

Baste the top of the dough with half the melted butter. Sprinkle the optional garlic powder, and half the parmesan. Score the dough lightly with a knife outlining sticks before placing in the oven.

Baked for 10-15 min. (depending on thickness) Remove from the oven and baste with the rest butter and top with the remaining parmesan cheese.

39 comments:

MaRyA said...

looks and sounds like focaccia. I just had one yesterday and thinking of making my own too. so filling!

Hari Chandana P said...

sounds lovely... yummy recipe.. thanks for sharing!!

Chibog in Chief said...

sounds yummy!! would love to eat this with some fresh green salad and tomatoes!!

Unknown said...

nothing i love more than bread! If there was only one food i could eat for the rest of my life, bread would be it!

petite nyonya said...

what a nice, easy recipe for an appetiser or even a snack.

Denise said...

sounds really quick and easy and something my girls would love. 3 out of 3 makes it worth a try.

figtree said...

This sounds so simple and delicious.I look forward to trying this one!!Figtreeapps

Donna-FFW said...

I would love to dip these into a bowl of soup!

Parita said...

Oh i love cheating :))) so easy to make and perfect with some basil dip!

Anonymous said...

These sound yummy and easy to make!

Dana Fallentine said...

Ohh... yummy! I can almost smell them coming out of the oven!

Miranda said...

I love BREAD!!!
I am a bread fanatatic....

Bob said...

I do something similar whenever I make pizza dough, it's one of my favorites. Looks great!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Ahhh memories of going to the video store and hoping they had copies of the new releases. I also remember when they made certain movies guaranteed to be in or you would get a free rental. I secretly would hope they would be out so I could get a free rental. Hahaha I was such a nerd.

Now about Little Caesar's Pizza. Yum! I was always a big fan of their breadsticks and the fold over pizza's...mmmm...now I'm hungry. I have to try this recipe. It's sparking so many memories. Weird how food can do that at times:)

theUngourmet said...

I love breadsticks and bread quarters!

Funny that you mentioned Little Caesars. There is one not far from my house now and my kids and I picked up an order of those yummy breadsticks just the other day!

Snooky doodle said...

wow this looks fantastic! delicious! you re awesome!

Pam said...

Great idea - you can't beat homemade bread sticks.

Jenn said...

MaryA: go for it!!

Hari: your welcome.

Dhanggit: some salad would definitely go nice.

HH: same here. LOL

Nyonya: thanks.

Denise Your girls will love this.

Figtree: thanks. Go for it.

Donna: Mmmm...yes, soup.

Parita: I'd love some basil dip.

5 star: thanks.

Faial: thanks for visiting.

Dana: :-)

Miranda: me, too!!!

Bob: Nice!

Nutmeg: I do miss those days of going to the video store.

Ungourmet: coincidence? Maybe. Hehe...

Snooky: thanks

Pam: I agree!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks tasty! I remember Little Caesars, too... I especially remember getting square pizza and thinking it was so much better than round pizza. No idea why, though.

Pooja said...

Looks delicious! And I dont mind about the shape as long as its delicious!

Cucinista said...

I remember Little Caesar's! I never understood people who didn't eat the crust on their pizza. Best part, in my opinion.

Diana said...

I actually STILL go to Blockbuster to pick out my movie rentals. I like instant gratification. See it, rent it, watch it. :)

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I still love crazy bread, but this is even better...YUM!

Anonymous said...

wow that actually looks crusty and SO good! I'm not much of a bread-baker, so this recipe would be perfect for me! (not to mention the addition of PARMESAN!)

Anonymous said...

I loved Little Caesar's Pizza when I was a kid! You brought me back!

Juliana said...

These look yummie...love the idea of using premade dough :-)

Jenn said...

Jen: I remember that.

Pooja: I agree completely

cucinista: I love the crust on pizzas. I never got that, too.

Diana: I wish I could say the same for myself.

girlichef: That's the name of it. I couldn't remember for the life of me.

burpandslurp: definitely cheat you way into homemade breadsticks.

hummingbird: ;-)

Juliana: thanks.

Jamie said...

I always have leftover dough when I make it for pizza and I'm always up for new things to do with it. I used to eat those breadsticks when I lived in Tampa and YUM! Gonna do this! Thanks for the great idea!

OysterCulture said...

Its a twoer in the recipe department - love it. The watermelon smoothie sounds very, very refreshing!

Jenn said...

Jamie: Your welcome.

Oyster Culture: Thanks.

lisaiscooking said...

Ah, the days of movie rental at the store. I'm glad those days are gone, but it's nice that you have a good memory with the bread sticks! Melted butter and parm on bread sticks sounds fantastic.

Jenn said...

Lisa: ;-)

Sippity Sup said...

Semi Homemade is a great concept, except in the hands of the Food Network's Sandra Lee. She makes me want to run from the room shrieking in horror! GREG

Jenn said...

Greg: I absolutely positively agree!!!

Reeni said...

These sounds so yummy for munching on! Especially with butter and Parm!

teresa said...

What a fun memory and fantastic breadsticks!!

Jenn said...

Reeni: can't live without butter and parmesan. Actually cheese for that matter.

Teresa: Thanks.

American Homemaker said...

I just posted a simple breadstick recipe too. Yum :)

Jenn said...

American: Cool!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger