Search Bread + Butter

Friday, July 31, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini


Another simple dinner. An overly stuffed zucchini. Mwhahahaha... That can also be a light supper. I had gotten a large long zucchini from the farmer's market over the weekend. When I buy produce, I usually don't have a clue as to what I'll be making with them. But I do stare at the endless selection to almost no end, trying to decide whether or not to purchase them. I think the vendors think I crazy.

I had vienna sausages, onion, and a lovely heirloom tomato. Mixed all that up to a good helping of panko crumbs after doing a quick saute of the sausage and onion. Baked in the oven for close to half an hour to give the top a crisp crust and the zucchini a nice roast. Delish!!! The tomato sauce on the plate is completely optional. I did that for decor. You can omit the sausage to make this a completely vegetarian dish or replace it with another vegetable.

Serve 2




Stuffed Zucchini

1 Large long zucchini
3 vienna sausage links or your preferred sausage (minced)
1/2 medium tomato (chopped)
1/2 small onion (chopped)
1 c panko crumbs
1/2 c grated parmesan (plus extra)
Olive Oil

Preheat your oven to 375˚F

Cut the zucchini in half and hallow out the middle with a spoon. Save the insides in a bowl and chop them in to bits.

In a skillet, saute the onions and sausage for a few minutes until the onions are translucent in a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Remove from the skillet and add it into the bowl of the zucchini bits. Mix in the panko crumbs and grated parmesan.

Take the zucchini boats and stuff them with as much of the mixture. Sprinkle more parmesan on top.

Place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Place some balled up foil on the sides to keep from the boats from falling over.

Bake for 25 min.




31 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks gorgeous! How do u manage to come up with something new every day? I am seriously impressed.

figtree said...

The perfect little zucchini..boat. You must have known that a have a zillion in my garden.Looks delicious!

Phyllis said...

heehee...the farmers think that I'm weird too! (I'm a bit of a foodie maniac at farmers markets)
This stuffed zucchini is truly spectacular. You are a master at making vienna sausages into a gourmet meal!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Sounds tasty! Stuffed zucchini is one of my favorites!

I had to laugh about your comment about shopping at the farmer's market. They always ask me about 10 times if I'm ready before I actually decide what I want to buy!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy zucchini boats! I love that you rocked the vienna sausages for the recipe:)

Anonymous said...

The stuffed zucchini sounds wonderful! I like the sausage here and the panko crumbs!

Btw, my daughter and I really enjoyed the watermelon smoothie - thanks so much for the idea!

Reeni said...

This looks so yummy and comforting! You reminded me that I still need to try the vienna sausages!

Dewi said...

Good use of the abundance zukes! Look deeeelish Jenn.

Pam said...

My neighbor just gave me some zucchini - this recipe looks so good!

Soma said...

A very beautiful summer recipe!

Parita said...

Wonderful idea jenn! mouth watering clicks!

Miranda said...

My mom makes zucchini boats all the time, but I must admit..They do not look this wonderful.

Boy, I am going to be in trouble now...LOL

teresa said...

I love what you chose to stuff your zucchini with, yummy!

The Duo Dishes said...

All stuffings should have a salty meat in them. All stuffings. Nice use of sausage.

Jenn said...

HH: Thanks. ;-)

figtree: it's that time of season right.

Phyllis: Hehe...I'm always mezmerized by the selections at farmer's markets.

Jen: Right? There's so much to choose from sometimes.

Nutmeg: Thanks.

5 Star: Yay!! I'm glad you liked them. It's really tasty.

Reeni: Don't worry. I have to find me some tomatillos.

Elra, Soma, Parita, Teresa: Thanks.

Pam: Well here's on idea you can use them in.

Miranda: Don't I won't tell.

Duo: I have to agree with you on ALL stuffing.

MaRyA said...

hmm gotta try and cook zuchini some time. never have. hehehehe

Cucinista said...

I love stuffed vegetables! Very clever use of the plate to hold the sauce -- great mise en place.

Pooja said...

Yummy! The combo sounds great! No doubt it must have tasted divine!

Alta said...

This looks so delicious...but I'm skeptical of the vienna sausages! I'm not a fan of those...would have to substitute. I never have any clue what I'm making with the stuff I pick up at the market either.

lisaiscooking said...

Your stuffed zucchini looks great! Love the sauce floating underneath it.

theUngourmet said...

I really love the look of the sauce! It makes the dish come together really well!

I grilled stuffed zukes the other day but I have to say yours look better! I like that you used panko.

Anonymous said...

Yummy and healthy!

Anonymous said...

Overly stuffed? That's my kind of dish! I love it stuffed WAY over the brim...I get sad with just a pansy little bit of it!

Jenn said...

MaryA: You should it's really good.

Cucinista: Thanks.

Pooja: it did.

Alta: You can always substitute.

Lisa, ungourmet: Thanks.

Hummingbird: ;-)

burpandslurp: hehe...stuffed is good!!

Heather S-G said...

That is a seriously tasty meal. I love the sauce on the plate...it totally makes the visual! I think I'm gonna have to make some of these with all these crazy zucc's I'm beginning to see hanging around everywhere :D

EricRiveraCooks said...

Jenn,

I'm loving this Zucchini recipe. I bought some zucchini from a farmers market this past week and I was wondering what I was going to do with it, thanks for the inspiration!

Eric

pigpigscorner said...

That's a great idea! Zucchini happens to be my current fav ingredient =)

Jenn said...

Eric: Your welcome!

Pigpigscorner: ;-)

OysterCulture said...

we've gotten a ton of zucchini lately, and I was wondering what to do, now I know

Jenn said...

Oyster: Woohoo

muebles en chinchon said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger