Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Strawberry Tart Cups


I was walking through the freezer section at the grocery in search for some puff pastry. Unfortunately, they didn't have any, but I came across these puff pastry shells from Pepperidge Farm. It's the same thing, just puffs up like cups. So I thought to myself, sure...why not?

I brought some fresh strawberries from the farmers market over the weekend. I originally was planning to make this dessert last week, but my mom and I couldn't wait to eat them fresh. So this week I made sure I was able to make this "planned" dessert. A strawberry tart...er...tart cups.

I made a simple compote out of the strawberries with sugar and a splash of pom juice. You can use lemon or orange juice, too. Simmered it into a soft syrup consistency. I also made some cream cheese filling. An easy dessert that would sure satisfy the sweet tooth as well a fruit craving.

This recipe makes 6 cups. I've also put the regular puff pastry sheet instructions in case you can't find the shell puff pastry.



Strawberry Tart Cups (and Square)

1 Package Pepperidge farm Puff Pastry Shells (6 shells) or 1 sheet puff pastry

Cream Cheese Filling:
4 Tbsp Cream Cheese
3 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Strawberry Compote:
1 pint strawberries (hulled and quartered)
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c orange, lemon, or pomegranate juice


Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Baked the puff shells for 20-25 min. Until golden brown and puffed up. When baked let it cool for 5 min, then carefully remove the tops and a layer of the inside filling. Set those aside.

While the shells are baking, in a large sauce pan, bring half the strawberries, sugar, and juice to a bubble on medium heat.

Once bubbling, lower the heat and let it simmer. Roughly 15-20 min, until the strawberries release their juices and is soft. Remove from the heat and let cool. Add in the rest of the strawberries.

For the cream cheese filling, simply combine all three ingredients together. Set aside.

When the cups are cool enough, spread a dollop of the cream cheese filling in the bottom and them scoop some of the strawberry compote over, filling to the top.

Take another little dollop of cream cheese filling and top it off with the puff pastry cap you removed earlier. Sprinkle some powedered sugar on top, if you'd like.


For Puff Pastry Sheet:
Take the pastry puff sheet and place it on an ungreased baking sheet. Score a line 1/2-inch from the edge around the sheet. This will be your crust.

Spread the cream cheese filling over the pastry sheet, not touching the edge. Then spread over the strawberry compote.

Bake for 20-25 min in 400˚F preheated oven. Sprinkle some powedered sugar on top, if you'd like.

37 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the perfect recipe because it looks so yummy but uncomplicated. I have seen these puff shells in the UK too, so I can easily try it :)
as u can see the diet isn't going to well LOL

Parita said...

Perfect party dish, i have some tart cups at home, can make these right now :)

Denise said...

These are so cute. I have seen these shells but have never bought them, now there is a reason too.

Miranda said...

Looks absolutely wonderful, as always. I love your site. I need to teach myself to take photos as beautiful as youres.
Take care

Phyllis said...

Gorgeous strawberry tartlet! I go a bit crazy during strawberry season as well, but I have yet to make a dessert. The ingredients in this remind me of my deconstructed strawberry trifle (swap out the puff pastry for some cake) and throw in some cassis :)

Donna-FFW said...

I am so loving these little gems. Puff pastry is so versatile and this is a perfect way to use them.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look very cute and delicious! I love strawberries!

Unknown said...

Mmm... looks great! I've seen several recipes lately using these shells - guess I have to give them a try!

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks great. I don't know that I've ever combined strawberries and pomegranate before, but I can't think why it wouldn't work.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look wonderful.

Diana said...

My family used to fill those tart cups up with beef and sauce and onions and then bake them in the oven for an easy version of beef wellington. Really yummy!

Teanna said...

When I saw these, I let out a sigh! What a stunning dessert! So elegant and perfect for a party!

theUngourmet said...

these are beautiful! I have got to get my hands on some of that POM!

Justin said...

once again i'm reminded that I need to start keeping puff pastry in the house at all times

alice said...

Love easy recipes like this and its perfect for summer. Thanks!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

What an adorable little tart cup. I love the combination of flavors and I also love that they just scream summer.

Kelly said...

At the Holidays I make puff pastry from scratch, and I always make a few cups. I love how verstile they are! Your compote would be so ROCKING over ice cream too! Lovely!

OysterCulture said...

Looks yummy - I love those puff pastry shells. My mom used to break them out on special occasions, so they always seem like a treat to me.

Jenn said...

Heavenly: LOL. Strawberries are healthy and good for the diet.

Parita: Perfect timing, eh?

Denise: Cool.

Miranda, Donna, Jen: Thanks

Phyllis: I gotta try this you way next. ;-)

ValleyWriter: Yeah. They're pretty neat. I love them now.

Fearless: The tartness of the pomegranate helps just like lemon or orange juice.

Mary, Teanna: Thanks.

Diana: Beef Wellington, eh? Sounds good to me.

ungourmet: I love Pom. But I think you already knew that.

Justin: Get crackin!! Lol.

Alice: This is summer food indeed.

Nutmeg: Thanks.

Kelly: The compote would be perfect for ice cream or even over pie. Mmmmm...

Oyster Culture: Nice!

Pooja said...

Aww the strawberry tarts looks so cute n delicious! Though I have seen these cups in few blogs I never could find these in my grocery store!

The Duo Dishes said...

Sold! Score! Ding a ling a ling! Definitely seen those puff pastry shells, and they look perfect for a dessert like this. Really nice.

Cucinista said...

Love the variation on strawberry shortcakes! Frozen puff pastry (and indeed frozen short crust pastry) are definitely staples.

Debbie said...

I've seen those puff pastry shells. What a great idea! They look wonderful. I am always in the mood for that kind of dessert.

Dewi said...

I just love dessert using puff pastry. It absolutely irresistible!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so simple, but so...artistic. Lovely.

Jenn said...

Pooja: Yoou can use the regular pastry puff as well

Duo Dishes: lol. Thanks.

Cucinista: Isn't it great. We don't always have to stick to the usual way of making things.

Debbie: Same here.

Elra: Since I've started using puff patry, I can't stop making withing with it.

burpandslurp: Thanks.

Reeni said...

The cream cheese and strawberry combo is so yummy!! And these are so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love the puff pastry shells because there are so many yummy creations you can do with them. The cream cheese filling and strawberries sound scrumptious!

Creative Classroom Core said...

What an elegant dessert!

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks.

5 Star: I've thought up a few more ideas of where I can use there.

finsmom: Thanks.

lisaiscooking said...

Pom juice with strawberries sounds like a great idea!

nora@ffr said...

i love ye photography very much and m in love with this blog.. those tart cups look soo cute!!

Jenn said...

Lisa, Nora: Thanks.

pigpigscorner said...

Shells? I've never seen these before but the effect is gorgeous!

Jenn said...

Pigpigscorner: Thanks. You can use regular pastry puff sheets as well.

muebles ourense said...

This can't work in fact, that is exactly what I consider.

contactos valencia said...

This is all erroneous what you're writing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger