Search Bread + Butter

Friday, July 10, 2009

Chicken Parmesan Pita Sammies


I love chicken parmesan. I remember having it once in a sandwich and well...it wasn't the best thing I ever ate. And I'm saying that nicely. This had occured many years ago and I haven't had it since. Now I'm replacing that "not-so-great" memory with a good, better and tastier one with my version of the chicken parmesan pita sammie.

Baked the chicken in the oven with melted mozzarella and made a simple marinara sauce. Placed it in a warm pita bread with a bed of red leaf lettuce inside.

This will make 4 sammies.



Chicken Parmesan Pita Sammies

2 pita rounds (cut in half)
1 large chicken breast (cut into chunks) or 4 chicken tenders
1 large egg
3 Tbsp milk
2 c panko crumbs
salt
pepper
1 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 c shredded mozzarella
pieces of red leaf lettuce

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Pat the chicken dry of any water. Season all sides with some salt and pepper.

In two separate dishes 1-beat egg and combine with milk 2-panko crumbs mixed with 1 c of the parmesan cheese.. Coat the chicken pieces with the egg mix. Wiggle off any excess, then coat with the panko crumbs and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake for 20 min. Flip after about 10 min for an even browning. 2-3 min before removing from the oven, top the chicken with the shredded mozzarella and the remain half of the parmesan.

Remove from the oven and let it rest.

Note: you may also pan fry the chicken strips for 3-5 min on a medium flame.


Quick Marinara Sauce:
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 small sweet onion (diced)
salt
pepper
1 large garlic clove (minced)
1 Tbsp dry thyme
1 Tbsp dry basil
1 Tbsp dry oregano
Olive oil
1 fresh tomato diced (optional)

In a sauce pan, heat a small drizzle of oil and saute the garlic and onions until they are tender and slightly translucent.

Add the tomato sauce and optional diced tomato. Season with some salt and pepper, then add in the thyme, basil and oregano. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.


Putting it all together:
Wrap the pita bread in foil and warm in the oven for a few minutes.

Take one of the halves of the pita bread and open it. Layer some of the lettuce pieces at the bottom. This will be like a bedding for the sauce and chicken. Take some of the sauce them place a piece of the chicken on top. Do the same with the other three.

Enjoy!

32 comments:

Parita said...

Chicken Parmesan Pita looks so delicious Jenn, i love the way you photograph, making them irresistable!

Denise said...

Chicken Parm is one of faves. Thnx for a new way to serve it. Looks delish.

figtree said...

Wow what a creative approach to chicken parm..Its 6;45 am and I want a bite NOW!!YUM Figtreeapps

Unknown said...

Mmm... I need to buy some chicken.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Baked chicken parm in a pita sounds great! My husband loves to order chicken parm subs at the local pizza place, so I think I will make this for him (and not tell him it's not fried)!

Melody said...

I've seen parmesan subs in the pizza shop, but I always pass them up and go for the cheese steaks instead. What can I say...I'm weak. This looks great and what a great idea to serve it in a pita. Love it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sandwich looks delicious. An unlikely but obviously delicious combo. Very creative!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to eat such a messy sandwich:)

Bob said...

I've never been a big chicken and tomato sauce fan, but they look fantastic! :)

Anonymous said...

That is the perfect "to go" meal.

Pam said...

I don't know if a sandwich could get much better - looks amazing.

Dewi said...

Such a perfect way to serve the chicken Jenn! I think I like this on a pita bread then the regular sandwich bread.

Jenn said...

Parita: Thanks.

Denise: Your welcome!

figtree: I'd feel the same way.

Heavenly: Yes you should ;-)

Jen: your hubby will definitely enjoy this.

Melody, Mary: Thanks.

nutmeg: messy and good!!

bob: It's really great combo. Give it another try.

Eric; Yes it is!!

Pam: me either.

Elra: It's not as messy as the sub version.

The Duo Dishes said...

You must've known it's lunch time, and hunger has hit. Please share. Please. :)

Pooja said...

Wow this looks so delicious! I love chicken parmesan and pita and the combo is simply superb!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Never tried this before-it looks so inviting!

admin said...

The Chicken Parmesan looks great!

Jenn said...

Duo Dishes: Sure

Pooja: Thanks.

Sweta: It's really delish!!

Melissa: Thanks.

theUngourmet said...

What a great light dinner for summer. I just recently started using Panko bread crumbs and I just love them!

Anonymous said...

oh, I'll bet your version was SO much better! yumm~

teresa said...

Oh yummy! I love that you used panko! This looks so good!

Reeni said...

This looks delicious in a pita pocket! I've had bad Chicken Parm too - usually restaurants overcook it or the sauce is awful. Not so in this case!

chow and chatter said...

looks like a perfect sandwich to me

OysterCulture said...

ok, I am having an attack of the munchies - it was a big mistake to check out your post, now I really must eat something and I have nothing in the house that remotely resembles chicken parmesan pita sammies - drat!

Heather S-G said...

BRING IT ON!! Seriously want one right NOW!

Jenn said...

Ungourmet: panko is WAY better than regular bread crumbs ;-)

burpandslurp: It is.

Teresa, Chow and chatter: Thanks.

Reeni: The same thing happens to me.

Oyster Culture: I always have an attack of the munchies.


Girlichef: sure thing.

lisaiscooking said...

Chicken parm as sandwich sounds great! I'm so hungry this morning, I should not be looking at food blogs. Everything I see, I want for breakfast.

zerrin said...

Never tried to combine chicken with any kind of cheese. but this one looks so appealing in that pita. Must try it for sure.

Jenn said...

Lisa: I'm the same way!

Zerrin: You should. It's really good.

Anonymous said...

those look mouthwatering! Anything breaded has to be tasty.

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: I agree.

puertas metalicas en valencia said...

What namely you're saying is a terrible mistake.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger