Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mushroom Jalapeño Pita Sammies


An easy sammie only takes minutes to make. I was pretty much in a jam to make something as I wasn't feeling like my usual self. Maybe it was because I was hungry. Yeah, that's usually the case.  I took it upon myself to make a quickie sandwich. I had some mushroom leftover from the Roasted Eggplant and Mushroom Soup, so I got that out along with some plain Greek yogurt I needed to use up. If you remember my mushroom croquettes, it's a bit similar to that. I combined them with the yogurt along with freshly roasted jalapeño peppers and I was good to go. I used my George Foreman grill to heat it up and give it a little press. That's optional. You can eat it straight up as the mushroom are still warm after the saute.

I have to admit that it was an interestingly odd combination. But I like it. Mushroom and peppers. They go well together.

Serve 1-2



Roasted Jalapeño and Mushroom Pita Sandwich

1 c sliced white mushrooms
2 large jalapeños (or peppers of your choice)
2-3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 pita bread (divided in half)

Note: you can use the canned roasted peppers, if you don't feel like roasting your own.

Preheat your broiler.

Place the jalapeño peppers on a baking sheet and roast the until the skins have blackened. Give the peppers flip to roast the other side.

Let the peppers cool and gently remove the skin and the seeds, if you don't want the heat. Shred the peppers into pieces. Set aside.

In a pan, saute the mushrooms in some olive oil until until tender and slightly darkened. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove the mushroom from the pan and mix in the yogurt and add the shredded pepper.

Mix together then take a couple spoonfuls and stuff it into the pita bread.

You may heat the pita bread for a few minutes in a 350˚F oven and wrapped in foil

Enjoy!

21 comments:

nora@ffr said...

yumm! love the idea of this pita bread!! perfect for a breakfast snack :)

Parita said...

thats a quickie :)

Pari Vasisht said...

Interestingly innovative.

Heather S-G said...

Why not!? Sounds delicious to me...I'm up for the new flavor combo :D

Anonymous said...

Interesting combo! It looks very good!

Christo Gonzales said...

you never stop experimenting - I love it!

Diana H said...

This would make a nice treat any time of day.

Jenn said...

Nora, Pari, ashadeofgray: thanks.

Parita: ;-D

Girlichef: Good. I'm glad.

doggy: Yup. Experimenting is good.

Diana: hehe...it was pretty good.

OysterCulture said...

This sounds yummy - you make me sound like a broken record

Anonymous said...

Interesting combination!

theUngourmet said...

Mushroom are good with just about everything! ;p

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Sounds like a great combination!

Jenn said...

Oyster: Sorry about that. hehe...

Hummingbird, Andrea: Thanks.

Ungourmet: I have to agree with you.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks terrific and I'm always up for new flavor combos.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I am curious about the combination of mushrooms and jalapenos, have to try, sounds great with the pita!

Jenn said...

Mary: Thanks.

5 Star: It's pretty good.

The Duo Dishes said...

Totally missed this, which is a shame because we both lurve 'shrooms. Lurve them to death.

teresa said...

i love it, great idea!

Jenn said...

Duo: These sammies aren't going anywhere. hehe...

Teresa: Thanks.

cleananglingpledge said...

For my part everybody ought to glance at this.

putas said...

Thanks for your post, very useful information.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger