Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Roasted Eggplant and Mushroom Soup


Soup during summer isn't so bad. Just not on days when it is extremely hot and humid. Several days ago, the weather almost seemed like autumn was giving us a sneak peak. I couldn't resist making myself some soup and a little sneaky peak at what I'll be trying to dish up when the season changes.

Soup it was. But what kink of soup? I rummage through the vegetable compartment of the fridge and find myself some long eggplant. Yes, I think that's what I'll make. I still have several cans of veggie and chicken broth from a sale at the grocery. I chose the veggie broth. Keeping this one vegetarian. For the non-veggies, you can use chicken broth, if you'd like. A small can of evaporated milk and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. (One regular tomato would suffice.) I was missing a couple other ingredients, so I made a quick field trip to Whole Food. Walk through the produce section and grab myself a nice BIG onion. I could use the other portions I won't use for another dish. I pass by the mushrooms and grab myself some prepacked sliced white mushrooms. A nice addition to the soup. I round the aisles and get a few more non-soup items, pay for them and head home to make the meal.

I'm one of those who doesn't like soups to be all watery liquid. Don't get me wrong, I still like them, but I prefer them to have some type of chunky subtance if it's going to be that consistency. So I get home, roast the eggplants for in the broiler, then scoop out the meat from the skins. I chop up the mushrooms, pop open cans and begin cooking.

Once I got everything together, I couldn't wait to eat. I oven-toasted some sandwich rolls that I spread some freshly made basil oil. Ladled the soup and chunky bits and enjoyed an autumn dinner.

Serves 2-3.



Roasted Eggplant and Mushroom Soup

2 medium long eggplant
1 12oz can vegetable broth
1 1/2 c chopped white mushrooms
1 medium tomato - chopped and deseeded or 1/2 can tomato chunks - minus juices)
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 medium sweet onion - sliced
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
salt
pepper
olive oil

Preheat your oven to 425˚F

Cut the eggplants length-wise and coat all sides with olive oil. Roast for 30 min until slightly brown on top. When roasted remove from oven and let cool for 5 min before handling. Scoop the meat of the eggplants out discard the skins.

While the eggplants are roasting prepare the vegetables.

Put a light drizzle of olive oil in a pot. Saute the garlic for 30 sec, then add the onions. Suate them until they are limp and translucent. Then add the chopped mushrooms. Cook until slightly browned. Season it lightly with some salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and eggplants. Stir occaionally.

Finally, add the chicken broth, then the evaporated milk. Stir to combine and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Add more salt, if needed. Turn off the heat and serve.


33 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Looks yummm... lovely clicks!!

Heather S-G said...

Ahhhh, comfort. Give me a bowl of this, a loaf a bread, a bottle of wine and a fire to sit in front of...and I could linger forever! Yum :)

Christo Gonzales said...

heartiness and comfort in a bowl - did you save some for me?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

We must be thinking alike again... I made roasted eggplant yesterday, but I turned mine into quesadillas. Perhaps I should have made soup instead. This look great!

Sippity Sup said...

ohhhh... this is a great idea! May I suggest a small amount of thyme?

Dewi said...

Sounds really delicious combo!

Mary Bergfeld said...

It looks great. I've never used eggplant in a soup. You've tempted me.

nora@ffr said...

yummm!!! m droooling!! love soouupp!! specially mushroom!!

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds so good with the thickening from the evaporated milk. Great combo of eggplant and mushrooms too!

Pam said...

This looks wonderful - I love the color of this soup. A hot bowl of soup and some crusty bread is all I need for a good meal.

KennyT said...

Lovely creamy soup!

Parita said...

Love roasted eggplants! soup looks tempting!

Jamie said...

This is definitely my kind of soup, all yummy vegetables and thick and chunky. I love it and would love to have a bowl just about now.

Reeni said...

This looks so yummy and loaded with flavor! I'm looking forward to fall and comforting meals like this.

Anonymous said...

Love the sound of this!
Looks delicious!
Thanks for the recipe
Great site and pics!! :)

Danielle said...

Eggplants in soup! Gotta try this one...I love how they taste when roasted, which is truly, the only way to prepare them.

Jenn said...

Hari: Thanks.

girlichef: LOL. I almost wanted to do that.

doggy: Come on over and get a bowlful.

Jen: LOL. Love it!! Great cooks think alike.

Greg: Oooo...Thanks. for the suggestion. ;-) I shall try that next time.

Elra, Nora, lisa, kenny, Parita: Thanks.

Mary: give it a try.

Pam: I agree.

Jamie: I'd love to make more of this.

Reeni: Yes, I can wait for the fall, too.

Petitechef: Thanks

Danielle: Yes, definitely.

Phyllis said...

So clever using evaporated milk to thicken! All my favorite ingredients in this soup (I would eat it even in the humidity we're experiencing)

chow and chatter said...

great soup i bet the evaporated milk made it great and rich

Sarah Alaoui said...

yay for eggplant!

Teanna said...

I have never heard of evaporated milk in soup, but the flavor and the texture must be delicious! That soup looks fantastic - there is nothing wrong with the soup in teh summer!

Diana said...

I like my soups chunky too. I always take out part of the chunky bits before pureeing the rest with my immersion blender. So much heartier that way!

Jenn said...

Phyllis: hehe...

CC: yeah.

Sarah: I agree.

Teanna: it is. I think I should start a trend on soup in summer, if there isn't one yet.

Diana: I need an emulsifier. I guess I'll have to add that to the christmad list.

Anonymous said...

I love soup. your soup must have wonderful flavors.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Mmmmm soup-can't wait for cooler weather to give this a try!! I've never tried eggplant in a soup :)

teresa said...

mmmm, total comfort, perfect for upcoming cool weather!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love making soups; it allows me to be creative, and I don't ever have to worry about following a recipe... :) Your soup sounds delicious; the thought of soup almost makes me look forward to fall...

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: Yes.

Sweta: I love fall and winter.

Teresa: I agree.

Andrea: That's one of the great things about soups.

pigpigscorner said...

Love creamy soups! Give me a bowl and some bread and I'd be a happy girl.

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: ;-D

theUngourmet said...

I don't normally like eggplant but this looks really delicious and I bet it tastes terrific too. I'll have to try eggplant this way I guess.

Jenn said...

Ungourmet: It's pretty good. Give it a try.

Sam P said...

this is SO good! it like the umami of the mushroom paired with the sweetness of the mushrooms and onions, sooo good! And the milk makes it perfect!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger