Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Roasted Corn with Basil Oil



Actually, this post it more about the basil oil than the corn itself. I already posted about Oven-Roasted Corn. I had just cut the kernels from the cob to prevent from having to pick them out from my teeth after eating. I was watching Grill it with Bobby Flay and he had made this really simple basil oil. That got me interested as I love basil. A couple weeks ago, Greg from Sippity Sup! had devoted a bunch of posts to the good ol' basil and its variety. So you know how it goes...you get a craving and you need to fulfill that craving.

It only involves 3 ingredients: fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. I blended everything together in the food processor and placed it into a sealed container. I had a good batch of the stuff and let it sit on the fridge for at least 30 minutes to help marinate it together. You can make this in advance or let it sit for 30 minutes. Open up the container and it smells so good. Almost like pesto. It will keep for several days.

I mixed it into the corn kernels. In a way, it was like a corn salad. It was really good with a subtle pesto-ish taste.



Roasted Corn with Basil Oil

Roasted Corn on the Cob recipe

To remove corn kernels from cob carefully stand the cob straight up, holding the tip. Take a knife and cut down removing the kernels. Mix in a couple tablespoons of the basil oil and mix.


Basil Oil:
1/2 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 c fresh basil

In a food processor or blender, combine both ingredients together until the basil is finely chopped.

If you don't have a food processor or blender, simply fine chop the basil and mix it into the oil. Mash it together with a mortar and pestle or press firmly while stirring with a spoon.

Store in a jar or container with a lid. This may be done in advance. Let it sit for at least 1/2-hour to left the flavors marinate together.

Drizzle as little or as much over you favorite dish.

34 comments:

Denise said...

This is very yummy looking and looks like a greta summer side dish.

Palidor said...

Herb-infused oils are really tasty. One of my favorites is rosemary.

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like one fantastic summer side dish. Fresh basil, summer corn, not much better! Looks so delicious!

Cucinista said...

Basil oil sounds great. I'd like to try it on my fave tomato salad too.

Faiza Ali said...

Thats looks so easy and refreshing.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love basil. I used to make an infused oil with different herbs, but I love the idea of making a basil oil. I could eat this with anything and everything... My basil plant is pretty sad at the moment as we are eating it quicker than it can grow; better get some more basil...

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds like a great combination! I like that it puts together two of the best things about summer: corn and basil!

Unknown said...

This is a clever pairing, I bet its wonderful!

Dewi said...

Delicious combo Jenn! Sweet and fragrant!

pigpigscorner said...

Must be very fragrant and flavourful with the basil!

Bob said...

I'm all over basil oil. The corn sounds fantastic too.

nora@ffr said...

fabulous side dish jenn!! i often used to roast corn with basil oil.. one of my younger daughters favorite!
cheers and have a great weekend!

Muneeba said...

now that would make it really interesting ... I love roasted corn, and the basil oil sounds enchanting!

Nithya said...

Looks yummm.. Nice clicks too..

Here for the first time and sure to be back and forth. Lovely blog with nice and interesting recipes. Keep it going.

Nithya
www.4thsensesamayal.blogspot.com
www.nitsarts.blogspot.com

Cal Orey, Author-Intuitive said...

as the author of the healing powers of olive oil, semi-vegan, i cannot turn away from this simple but elegant recipe. note to self: buy fresh corn. thank you. so many vegetables, so little time.

Diana H said...

I love basil oil. On corn it would be fantastic!

theUngourmet said...

I can imagine this does smell just fabulous! I'd love to try this with the basil I have left in my garden.
I bet it was awesome with your corn!

Christo Gonzales said...

I would love to dive into a bowl of this - it sounds so 'backyardish' I love it!

angelia McGowan said...

that looks great!, I adore oven roasted corn, i dont cover it though, i just slather olive oil all over it. I lave basil! great summer dish

Jenn said...

Denise: yes.

Palidor: Rosemary is nice, too.

Donna: ;-)

Cucinista: A tomato salad would definitely go with the basil oil.

Faiza, HH, Elra: Thanks.

Andrea: LOL.

Lisa: yes. A great combo.

pigpigscorner: the smell is really wonderful.

Bob, Muneeba: Thanks.

Nora: You too.

Nithya: Thanks for stopping by.

Cal: ;-)

Diana: I agree.

Ungourmet: I want to make more. I just used up the last batch that i made a couple days ago.

doggy: I feel like having a bbq now.

Angelia: That's good way too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really love the simplicity of this dish. It looks wonderful. I hope you are having a great weekend.

Jenn said...

Mary: Thanks. You too!

Reeni said...

So simple but so yummy!!!! I always cut the kernels off my cob - hate picking them out of my teeth for two hours after.

OysterCulture said...

yum yum yum - sounds incredibly good and tasty.

Jenn said...

Reeni: Me, too.

Oyster: Thanks.

Heather S-G said...

Sounds delicious...so simple and full of summery goodness. YUM :D

Phyllis said...

What a great idea to use up any leftover basil :)

Jenn said...

Phyllis: It's so awesome on bread!

Sippity Sup said...

Genius!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Perfect for summer!

Jenn said...

Greg: ;-)

Nutmeg: Yes, indeed.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is great for a lover of corn, which I am. It is easy. It would be good to have basil oil around all the time. It would make so many other foods tastier.

Jenn said...

I love the basil oil. I'd make a batch every week if I could.

гид в барселоне said...

Very effective material, thanks so much for this post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger