Search Bread + Butter

Monday, August 31, 2009

Lime Pudding Tarts


This was supposed to be my entry for the Lime BSI a few weeks back that was hosted by Jen at My Kitchen Addiction. The first time I made it I made the mistake of leaving out any support for the graham cracker base.  When I tried to take them out of my mini-muffin pan, it all fell apart. Sure I was a wee bit disappoint that it failed, but the great thing about food is that you can keep trying until you get it right. The mistake I made the first time was not using some sort of paper lining to help ease in removal. Imagine the me trying to pry them out with a fork from my mini muffin pan. It was a nightmare. But I was determined to make them again. And make them again I did!

These tarts are relatively easy to make. Perfect for parties or as a simple dessert after a meal. It uses a graham cracker base. I cheated a little on the graham cracker tart crusts for this go around. I saw these individual mini crusts at the grocery from Keebler and I figured that I'd give them a go. Save me some time. You can use your own or use the premade stuff. I included my recipe for making the graham cracker base from scratch in the recipe below.  The pudding is just regular store bought vanilla pudding spiked with lime zest and 1/2 lime juice. A nice subtle tart taste. Then chill for a bit and enjoy. Add fruit to the top and make it into a fruit tart. It reminded me a bit of key lime pie. Yum!


Makes 4-6 tarts. Adjust accordingly.



Lime Pudding Tart

1 box vanilla pudding mix
2 c milk
zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lime
fruit (optional)

base:
3 c crushed graham crackers
1/4 c unsalted butter
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp granulated sugar

4-6 4-inch tart cups or cupcake cups.

Note: you can use the premade mini graham cracker tart crusts if you're short on time.

Preheat your oven to 375˚F

For the graham cracker base, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until blended and resembles a crumb consistency. You can also do this in a food processor.

Divide the graham cracker mix evenly among the tart cups and mold up to the sides until it resembles almost a small bowl.

Bake in the oven for 5-10 min. Let is cool completely after.

While the crust bakes, make the pudding according to the directions on the box. Mix in a large enough bowl and add in the lime zest and juice. Stir well to combine.

Then take the pudding mixture and dollop at least 2 big spoonfuls into the tart cups. Top with a slice of lime and/or some berries and place in the fridge to keep cool.



38 comments:

Parita said...

Tart looks fantastic..love the color with a contrast of blackberry :)

Heather S-G said...

That is a bummer...but they turned out beautifully this time! I love that last pic with the blackberry juice dripping between the lime & the filling...DROOL!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, lime pudding sounds refreshing and wonderful!

Lo said...

mmm. I'm a sucker for lime -- that tart/sweet combination is utterly amazing.

These look simple, delicious -- and lovely too! Nice touch with the blackberries!

Kirby! said...

Yumbo!! I love Key Lime Pie, so this is like the perfect to eat it without having to make a whole pie!!

nora@ffr said...

Fantastic! This delightful lime tart look wonderful! love the pretty color! :)

Bob said...

Looks fantastic! I love tarts. Heh, I would have just eaten it right out of the tin. :)

KennyT said...

So mouth watering!

teresa said...

oh my goodness, pure deliciousness!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

Don't you hate when that happens!

I've done stuff like that all the time.

These sound great though!

theUngourmet said...

Well, those aren't these just the cutest tarts ever?! I'm with girlichef, that last shot is awesome!

Jenn said...

parita, 5 Star, Lo, nora, kenny, Teresa: Thanks.

girlichef:hehe...

Kirby: Definitely!!

Bob: lol.

Jen: Yeah.

Ungourmet: ;-D

Diana said...

So cute! You make them sound so easy too!

It was really nice finally meeting you last night -- I hope we can all do it again soon! :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love lime; these sound great! And if I buy the premade tarts, I can totally make these... ;)

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look good. The lime filling sounds outstanding.

raquel said...

i love everything sour! your tart is drool-worthy!!!

angelia mcgowan said...

thats making my mouth water, love it!

Miranda said...

This tart looks very yummy. My kids and husband would love them..Great job and nice pics!

Jenn said...

Diana: It was great meeting you too.

Andrea: Premade is ok to use. ;-D

Mary: Thanks.

Jenn said...

Raquel, Angelia, Miranda: Thanks.

Debbie said...

Looks delicious. Sometimes premade crusts are just the perfect thing...especially in the summer. Lime sounds wonderful. So pretty with the blackeberry on top!

Sippity Sup said...

In Florida this is called Key Lime Pie (pretty close at lest!) Yum...GREG

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I want one of these right now! Looks beautiful and delicious. Glad you decided to give them another try... I will definitely be trying these.

Jenn said...

Debbie: I agree.

Greg: True. I took the easy way.

Jen: I'm glad, too.

OysterCulture said...

I personally would not complain about that minor booboo - more for me! They look delicious love the lime flabor

Jenn said...

Oyster: hehe...

lisaiscooking said...

I keep seeing delicious lime desserts, and now I have to have something with lime! Looks great.

Reeni said...

I love lime!! What a treat these are!

Jenn said...

Lisa: Lime is in!!

Reeni: Thanks.

Tangled Noodle said...

Ooo, these look so good! I love the creamy desserts. And if they're tough to get out of the mini-muffin pan - fine; just give me a spoon and problem solved. Of course, nothing would be left for anyone else . . .

Jenn said...

Tangled: I was tempted to do the same thing. But I have to share.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Oh, my, this looks wonderful!

Jenn said...

Tasty Eats: Thanks.

Unknown said...

First time here...Tart looks delectable..you have a wonderful blog.

Jenn said...

A2z: Thanks for stopping by.

pigpigscorner said...

The tart looks so pretty! Sounds like a perfect summery tart.

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: Thanks

your sexual said...

It won't truly have effect, I suppose so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger